Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone made conversion to Blue Marble? I am @70 miles into conversion, 00 ZL5, and have noticed significant drop in odor and seems to have maintained my RPM's at the same levels as with synthetic. Nulubes.com reports that motor response changes occur @ 400 miles. I also like the environmental and racing results this oil has posted. Had to mount an oil caddy into sled due to lack of general availability although did a weeklong varied temperature "out of sled" mix test with my previous oil Polaris (I know...How could I? :eek: ) Gold synthetic with no mixing issues.

Mark

·
Registered
580 Posts
I thought the big blue was no longer available?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are up and running again at nulubes.com I called and they just sent me a case of the new -30 degree pour point batch. It's still relatively hard to get so I bought 3 cases to last the season. If interested try to get your local dealer to stock it by calling nulubes. Really takes a bite out of the environmental concerns and may allow us to keep our 2 strokes in the long run.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
At $120 + 20, that comes to $35 a gallon. That's pretty spendy don't you think. And you bought 3 cases.? Must be nice
to have $420 laying around to drop on oil.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I ride an 00 ZL 500. It doesn't break the bank :) ! What cost does one place on leaving a cleaner environment for our kids. If I'm riding clean, it's worth every penny and the environmentalists have no grounds for complaint about emissions while using this oil. Using this oil is much cheaper than buying a 4 stroke especially when considering interest on a sled loan. With all the press about snowmobiles we need to do something to help keep our 2 stroke engines or they are headed the way of the dinosaur. Yeah I could buy a bigger sled with megga HP, but that would directly affect my ability to spend more on an oil that could potentially help to keep our sport up and running. My environmentalist friends are stunned when I tell them about Blue Marble. They don't know what to say other than " well those machines still make noise", I tell them it's all about compromise. So I sacrifice on another level to help keep our sport viable into the future.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
You lost me on what the subject has to do with the size of the snowmobile, as this was an economic issue, not a
political one.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smaller sleds are cheaper to buy, and insure. Thus more funds for other things like oil, suspension kits, etc... Not trying to make political issue just attempting on some vague level to justify why I parted with $420 bucks for snowmobile oil (OUCH!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
No offense, but that just sounds funny
justify why I parted with $420 bucks for snowmobile oil[/b]
Personally, I ride a 2000 ZR 600. It is really good on oil, BUT, it LOVES gas!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine too. I've tweaked it this year and we'll see how it does. This will be the 1st time using the sled after a 2 yr hiatus.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We've got two cases on hand for this winter. Three sleds to feed and when summer comes around we'll try it in the two PWC's and the Jetboat. Two-Strokes galore!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drain as much as you can then add BM. I used a large turkey baster with a rubber hose attached and it worked great. I also mixed some BM with my old oil in a container outside the sled and left it a few days to see if anything funky happened. It seemed to mix fine but I did run BM 100:1 in my 1st tank of gas just in case. Later, I ran out of patience and bled the remaining old oil out of the oil pump bleeder screw just to get the phosphamid seal underway a bit quicker.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you use Klotz TCW3 Injector Oil (The snowmobile Oil for injection systems) you will not have any mixing problems. One of the requirements that is has (it has all certifications) is that it has to mix with other certified oils. Any oil from the last three years will mix with any other oil. I have never heard of a conflict in the last 5 years or so......

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was running Klotz Techniplate until this year. The Klotz price in Canada skyrocketed from $35.00 to $48.00 per USG so after hearing about the potential benefits of Blue Marble the switch to it at 48.50 CAD per USG was slightly less painful. It is still extremely pricy when compared to many name brand synthetics including Amsoil and Shell but hey, it's not a one-way street. I can go back to synthetic oil if the benefits don't materialize.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts