Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres what happened i was out riding today and i was racing cars at about 85mph it was -15 which is the optimal tempurature for my sled(1998 indy 500) and then it i let off the throttle and then i could only get my sled to 75mph then about 10 minutes later i couldnt get it abouve 50mph so i stopped and checked everyhting i had spark but i put in new plugs anyway i pulled it over it ran for about 2 seconds it dint idle up and it shut off then i couldnt get it running so i called my dad to come get me(i was 25 miles from my town) he came and and we cheked the compression and the right side had none so i realized my sled was blown but i have no i dea how it happened i was riding it how i normally do does anyone no how/why this happened :banghead: any help would be much appreciated :div20:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
how many miles snow conditions should of stopped when you first started to loose power. also when you get the pistons out you might be able to understand the problem

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
trust me i have seen sled with a chunk of the piston missing and still pull over and run just not to hot

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's called the nasty H2O chances are you'll have a hole in the piston. Hopefully no damage to the jug. 2 pistons and rings and you'll be up and running.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check out your thermostat and water pump thats probably the cause. My buddy cooked his and had a gauge in his cylinder and had to get resleeved which is big bucks. It only had 60psi on the mag cylinder and 0psi on the clutch side and it still ran, just not that great.

I have a piston in the garage that'll look exactly like yours does. I will take a picture and post it up here tomorrow.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've had 3 Indy 500's over the years. Great sleds but they are very susceptible to carb icing, and then of course they run lean and burn down. You need to add isopropyl in every tank. If you were running powder earlier that day without it, I would suspect that is the cause of your engine problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
MY BUD LAST YEAR HAD A SPARK KNOCK. IT TOOK OUT THE PISTON AND JUG. NOT CHEAP. ALOT OF THINGS CAN HAPPEN. YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE THE THING APART TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS THE REAL CAUSE. BUT GOING THAT FAST HAVING THE TROTTLE HELD TO THE WOOD. IT COULD HAVE JUST RUNNED LEAN OR RUN LEAN AND SPARK KNOCK AT THE SAME TIME. THATS WHAT HAPPEN TO MY BUDDIES. SAD THING IS AFTER IT WAS REBUILT IT WAS NEVER THE SAME DUNNO WHY BUT WE HAD TO REBUILD IT 2 OTHER TIMES AFTER THAT. THE LAST TIME WE TOOK THE WHOLE THING APART DOWN TO NOTHING. THAT SEEMED TO DO IT. IF YOU HAVE TO FIX IT JUST PULL THE WHOLE THING AND REPLACE EVERYTHING BEARINGS AND ALL. IT WILL BE BETTER THAT WAY IN THE LONG RUN. :div20:

THINK SNOW

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :celebrating:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I've had 3 Indy 500's over the years. Great sleds but they are very susceptible to carb icing, and then of course they run lean and burn down. You need to add isopropyl in every tank. If you were running powder earlier that day without it, I would suspect that is the cause of your engine problem.[/b]
I'd go with this theory. Had it happen a few times on my 500 then especially on my xc440. Leaving me stranded in a powdery ditch from complete fuel starvation (frozen jets) was the worst that happened. Mine never half-assed froze which could lead to a burndown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd go with the ice thoery as well. I always run isopropyl in every tank, cheap insurance. When you have it apart I would spend the $20 and replace the main and pilots and also rebuild the fuel pump.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah im pretty shure the carb froze up, beacause earlier that day it stuk a bit and my throttle cable came off my throttle it was blown once befroe my dad blew it at -20 the shop that fixed it bored it out and put in a 360 jet (main is 350) but my dad put a 350 back in that side because many people told him that the 360 jet was unesisery i froze the carbs up on it a few times before but this winter has been so mild(the last time i drove it, it was 0 out) then it sat for 3 days and it went from really cold to warm then to freezing cold again and i had a hell of a time starting it the morning it ran on one side then ran on two so i let it idle for a while then it was fine but i guess it really wasnt damn :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts