Hardcore Sledder banner

Blown Diamond Drive!!!

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Stray Cat 
#1 ·
I just had th machine serviced, including the diamond drive. Got 300yrds out on the lake (12 inches of fesh powder) and "Karr-Powww". At first I thaught I might have blown a belt. When I opened the clutch cover I nearly shit!! :banghead: The belt was fine. Must be the diamond drive I'm thinking. No oil or residue in the belly pan, everything looked fine. Clutches engage and shift out, but the sled no moveeee. I no Likeeee!!

Has anyone had a failure such as this. If so, what was the failing part or cause of the failure. The dealer has my sled right now and they are top notch. They said they will look after it and I'm sure they will. Crikside is great to deal with.

I am just very curious to see what the problem may have been.

S.C. :linemup:

#6 ·
Uhh, yah, umm.... oil would have been a good thing. I really hope it wasn't something like that. We just got nailed with a good foot of fresh snow New Years Eve and I couldn't ride. It really was a bad deal. The worst part was being the only cat guy in the group. Nothing like 12 hours of straight ribbing from Doo and Poo guys.. Before I had them service the DD, the sled or DD didn't whine as some state they do. After I got it back, it whined like bitch..and the speedo took a crap as well. Man do I love snowmobiling...LOL. They had a nice CF800 in the show room today but it has a DD as well. I don't recall allot of posts on the units failing though. There better have been oil in there.. could you just imagine someone forgetting that

S.C.

#7 ·
Was the secondary set up to float side to side or was it dry? Dry of oil she would just go tweek and melt down the gear set.
There was a type error in the service manual where it stated that the secondary could float .060 like the old one but it was a type error.
If you let it float you will break teeth off at the very most............ or bearing falure for sure on the top bearing on the inside.

#8 ·
Thanks Dono. Thats great info to have. I don't recall any float in the secondary before being serviced. I beleive it was pretty solid. As for the oil, that's anybodies guess... We'll see soon enough. Man, I hope it's a bearing. But what would explain the whining sound from the DD. It never did that before being serviced. Was the new deflection adjuster and bolt vented or something??

S.C.

#9 ·
Thanks Dono. Thats great info to have. I don't recall any float in the secondary before being serviced. I beleive it was pretty solid. As for the oil, that's anybodies guess... We'll see soon enough. Man, I hope it's a bearing. But what would explain the whining sound from the DD. It never did that before being serviced. Was the new deflection adjuster and bolt vented or something??

S.C.[/b]
..yeah, but so was the original one. Some units were coming from the factory DRY, and were making it about 7-10 miles. Your's had oil in it at one point and even if they split it and cleaned it it would be more lubricated then one never exposed to oil before, so it doesnt make sense that lack of oil would damage a diamond drive in 300 yds. Keep us posted on what they find.

#10 ·
My bad!!!! I just read my original post. I did not mention the sled had been ridden approx 40 miles the previous day. Can't be exact, as the speedo crapped out on me. I did play around on the river the previous day as well as at the farm just before comming out to the Lake. Maybe 50 miles, all together....tops.

But still, that's F&@K all. I'm wondering if the seals where put in backwards and the oil may have leaked out???? :dunno: :dunno:

S.C.

#14 ·
hey guys. This is my first time on this site and this was the first thread i read. Kinda funny cause my DD blew last winter thankfully not this winter so warranty covered it. I was rippin accross a field on a smooth trail then POOF. Same thing, thought I blew the belt which I did but when I opened the hood and looked at my left boot, there was oil everywhere. Put a new belt on anyways but didn't help. UH OH so I was stranded. The dealer said there was a seal put in backwards from factory which caused it too melt then blow the DD. They said it was a first and only case heard of. Anyways they fixed it and has been great ever since. See yas around

#15 ·
hey guys. This is my first time on this site and this was the first thread i read. Kinda funny cause my DD blew last winter thankfully not this winter so warranty covered it. I was rippin accross a field on a smooth trail then POOF. Same thing, thought I blew the belt which I did but when I opened the hood and looked at my left boot, there was oil everywhere. Put a new belt on anyways but didn't help. UH OH so I was stranded. The dealer said there was a seal put in backwards from factory which caused it too melt then blow the DD. They said it was a first and only case heard of. Anyways they fixed it and has been great ever since. See yas around[/b]
There was an update on that seal. I got mine up-dated when they fixed my speedo. I had 150km and 65hours.......

#16 ·
It sounds like they removed the DD unit to service it and didn't properly torque the retaining nut. If the splines on the shaft/case are stripped, thats what happend, and they certainly owe you. Rookie mistake.

The 04ZR9's use to blow the shaft pretty much every ride lol, at least the ones we had, even with the updated shaft.

#19 ·
Hey guys,

Just heard from the dealer. Bearing failure was the cause of my problem. No big deal!!!! Which bearing?? Forgot to ask.. I'll find out when sled is done. No loss of oil reported or any other mysterious condition. Just a simple bearing. Dealer is great and the sled should be back on the snow (a rapidly melting 14+- inches :augen41: :augen41: ) in no time. Hats off to Crikside once again.... And yes it was a minor problem, the 05's can move under the right conditions. I certainly don't regret buying one. :buttrock:

S.C.

#22 ·
Hey guys,

I went to the dealer today and looked at the problem first hand. The bearing took a shit between the transfer gear and the ring gear. Locked the whole bitch up, and good. Smelt like a dog shit in my helemet. Way stinky burn up. Anyway, the dealer has it in order and all will be good soon. "I don't anticipate this happening agian". If it does, no more 05 DD for this guy. Problem is, I don't think you can get Cat without one now a days. And I'm loyal to cat....I think????

S.C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.