Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy I ride with has the new Sidewinder and has blown 2 belts in 500 miles. 2nd one put a huge hole in the belly pan??? Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some are getting big miles. A few are blowing belts. I guess I'd make sure it's properly broken in. Especially with 200h/p on tap

·
Registered
32 Posts
To properly break in a belt, your friend needs to ease off the throttle for about 100 miles. Keep it slow for at least 25 miles. Short bursts of throttle may be used, 10 - 15 seconds at high speed. Properly broken in, it may go at least 1000-1500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Does anyone know if any clutching changes were made for 2018. I'm looking at a non current 2017 but if updates were made I'll go with an 18'.

·
Registered
289 Posts
based on all the testing , ride reviews and the plus and minuses of the sled,facts are facts ,the zr 9000 is the better choice?ski performance ride quality of the rear skid,and clutching and tuning of it.grab yourself some green coop.and buy yourself a blue and white sled wrap.be happy and enjoy the process..:bc2::c-n:

·
Registered
51 Posts
7074 km same belt that came with the sled. LTX-LE Cleaned clutch faces after each long ride and washed the belt..oh and I wasn't nice to the belt all season after the careful break in at the start...just saying.. Stock clutching at that...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Buddy I ride with has the new Sidewinder and has blown 2 belts in 500 miles. 2nd one put a huge hole in the belly pan??? Anyone else have this issue?
Hopefully your friend has resolved the issue. First, the belts and clutches were delivered to some with excess oil from the air filter element on them. Clean the air filter in soap and water and clean the filter box, it is a dry element but came oil soaked from the manufacturer. Wash the belt in soap and water and clean the clutch sheaves with acetone. Scuff with scotch pad and re-clean with acetone. Check the offset of the clutches with the belt removed. Should be 58.1 to 68.1 mm. Procedure is in the owners manual. This seemed to be the main culprit. Also check for coil bind on both clutch springs. Swapping primary spring to one of the aftermarket company springs with glide washers is best. Shimming the secondary helix or machining the pocket eliminates rear problem. Lots of info on this topic at the TY winder forum. I installed a 265 hp tune and did many pulls on conditions from hard pack road to very deep powder for over an hour testing weight set up and had clutches that were cool to the touch. I did notice that the primary bushing was also seeming to not move as freely on the shaft when only warm so I will be putting an aftermarket cover on before next season.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
based on all the testing , ride reviews and the plus and minuses of the sled,facts are facts ,the zr 9000 is the better choice?ski performance ride quality of the rear skid,and clutching and tuning of it.grab yourself some green coop.and buy yourself a blue and white sled wrap.be happy and enjoy the process..:bc2::c-n:
The hell you say!:bigfinger:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
So true. :lol3:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts

sorry...no....the skis...okay yes for sure.....the clutching and belts...for sure yam ...cheaper belts...better built clutches by far...just some minor first year tweaks...and btw the shocks and valving on the flagship qs3r's is the same...

even the top tuners are admitting the sw is faster lol

·
Registered
722 Posts
Like sj said Yami has way better clutching, the team clutches are cheap light throw away version clutches. When d&d is pushing yamaha and saying the clutches are way better, that should tell you something!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts