Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of us running ZR 900s, 800s and mod versions of both are experiencing a high occurance of belt failure. I expect to munch one or two when running the big bores--over the course of a season, but we can't even get through a day of hard riding without violent belt erruptions. When they go at high speed, they usually punch a hole in the belly pan as well...which is ugly. So far we have been running only the stock Cat belt.

Has anyone tried any other belts? I am hearing good things about the Dayco Ultimax 2. Does Cat offer a "high end" belt that might be a bit tougher?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by The Outdoor Shop@Dec 17 2002, 11:03 PM
check motor mounts, clutch alignment, and center to center. Are the clutches stock??
I agree you need to check some things...your experience isn't the norm...Marc

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Check your crankshaft after blowing a belt at high rpm. I've seen posts by MadMaxHollywood on Amsnow were he found this crank had gone out as much as 7 degrees of phase after blowing a belt on his modified '01 ZR800. Have the crank re-phased and welded to avoid this re-occuring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motor mounts fine, alignment is right on the money--still blowing belts on stock 800s and 900s. Trying the Dayco Ultimax 2 this weekend. One friend switched and has not had any addtional problems.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
my only other thing, was on the 8-900 you need a good 100 miles of break in. anything less and it may blow much easier.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Sounds very strange.
I'm running belts about 1000 miles or so before replacing but have had zero failures. My sled's not abused but it's certainly run on the hard side.

R

·
0 Posts
If you are blowing belts something is wrong. How are you checking your clutch aliment?? Make sure you have your center to center pushed so your motor is in the positive direction about 0.040-0.060". This will allow for motor torque. Make sure your belt deflection is tight, you don't want alot of slopp. Then go to your off set. You can't tell me you have to much HP, because I know guys with 225 hp plus triples that don't have belt problems. Something is off. :huh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Ron. I have run 200 plus hp triples in mountains and only experienced belt failures when something was wrong. I bought a clutch offset tool and a sled-pro billet engine aligning tool and have experienced belt failures very little since. Some machines from the factory are off badly alignment wise and offset alone won't fix problem. Sometimes oblonging the motor mount holes is necessary to align engine to jackshaft properly. Dayco Ultimax 2 belts are ok but the Cat belts take more abuse and seem to last longer( in my experience). Mountain riding is hard on belts and clutches. Good luck with your problem. Black Magic also makes belts to their specs and are actually a little cheaper than Cat belts. I am going to try these belts in new year on MC 900 151 and Firecat 151.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts