Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have any chain problems with there f7 ? The sled has been fantastic for about 2200 miles till yesterday when i was just cruising along about 30 mph and bam the chain broke :wacko: It didnt do a whole lot of damage due to the low speed but i was going to meet up with another forum member in old forge so it did wreck my day :( Other than that this is the best sled i have ever owned , its just one of those things :D Sorry f7 rocketship , catch you on the next ride . Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now that you blew the chain, replace it with a 15 wide chain instead of the stock 13wide chain. When running the 15 wide chain, you also need a 15 wide top sprocket, but the bottom sprocket can remain the stock 13 wide. 15 WIDE is Much Much more durable, a must on a sled with this much horse, especially if you jump a lot or ride hard>>>

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i checked mine at 750 miles, was OK
i will take the cover of this spring and take a real good look
at everything then.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i know it is to be finger tight :D I had to tighten it two times in 2000 miles and it took a few turns the last time i did it . I do ride hard and it is not the first chain i have broken on a sled the same thing happened on my 01 srx , but it did alot of damage on that sled . Its not a big deal , its been a great sled i sure have put it to the test . I think i will look into what jeff was saying , cant hurt . :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with Jeff, 15 wide chain and top sprocket is the way to go if you ride
hard. Also check both bearings, the new o-ring style are weak and are breaking. I would change them out even if they look OK. Its alot easier at home than in the bush somewhere. Also I think checking the chain tention is more important than twice in 2000 miles, I check ours between every heat during sno-cross racing, I also change lube every 100-200 miles, and have never have had a bearing or chain fail, other than the 03 bearings. P.S.- if your bearings have failed AC will warranty them, they are not going to recall them because they would have to recall every 03 sled.

good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tightened my chain yesterday after 1850 miles, it took quite a few turns to get it finger tight. I have the reverse kit and it was working fine, but should be better now. I did notice when checking the dip stick that the gear oil looked milky, I don't ever recall seeing it look this way in any other sled I've owned. The dealer put the reverse kit on, could there be to much gear oil?? Almost looks like lower unit gear oil when it gets alittle water in it. I can't see how water would get in there, so I was thinking to much lube being whipped up to look milky. Any Thoughts?????

Steve

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,201 Posts
Originally posted by Shameful1@Feb 22 2003, 02:14 PM
I tightened my chain yesterday after 1850 miles, it took quite a few turns to get it finger tight. I have the reverse kit and it was working fine, but should be better now. I did notice when checking the dip stick that the gear oil looked milky, I don't ever recall seeing it look this way in any other sled I've owned. The dealer put the reverse kit on, could there be to much gear oil?? Almost looks like lower unit gear oil when it gets alittle water in it. I can't see how water would get in there, so I was thinking to much lube being whipped up to look milky. Any Thoughts?????

Steve
Water could be from condensation this is will happen when bringing a cold sled into a warm garage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After a few hundred miles on the reverse, you should replace your oil. The milk color could be metal filings. Every reverse I've had, has metal filings really bad for the first 500-1000 miles. It's the chain backer that wears away a bit until it clears the chain enough. I'm curious about the manual adjust reverse though, they have always been auto- adjust on the reverse kits. I've got one coming with my $100.00 certificate. I won't put in on until I'm back from Wyoming though. I'm going to run 19/43 gears and 56.5 wieghts for Wyoming. WisF7

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just blew my chain at about 700 miles. Well, back to the dealer and hopefully it will be ready for my ride next sunday.

·
Registered
151 Posts
F7 SkullCat and WisF7

Thanks for the input,

I was thinking I should change the gear oil just in case. Whats the best way to drain the case? The drain hole on the reverse case is higher than the bottom of the case........... As for the manual adjust, the last four cats I've had all had manual adjustment bolts. There is also an auto adjust (spring loaded I believe) in the chain case.

Thanks again, Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts