Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out riding today blew a piston. The question is i was doing 50 miles an hour when it went and the speedometer is stuck at 50. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I can still start it and it run's like shit of course but the speedometer won't go back to zero. Just wondered if anyone know's anything about this. If i rebuild it will this go away or is something else gone. I can't see the motor going having anything to do with the speedo.

Thank's in advance!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Out riding today blew a piston. The question is i was doing 50 miles an hour when it went and the speedometer is stuck at 50. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I can still start it and it run's like shit of course but the speedometer won't go back to zero. Just wondered if anyone know's anything about this. If i rebuild it will this go away or is something else gone. I can't see the motor going having anything to do with the speedo.

Thank's in advance!![/b]

ttt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello there!!! I got it all back together and started it and the speedo dropped down and everything is good. Just thought i would let you all know in case it happens to you one day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys! I had my sled back together last week and everything seemed good. Went riding today and blew the same piston. (mag side). I figure it's leaning out on that side. I had about 230 miles on it since it blew the last time. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas what is causing this. Crank seal? Oil lines or oiler?
Any help would be great!!

Lightning

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
how many miles total on the whole system? could be dirty injector on the mag side causing it to go lean, was your plug white? lean running is of course caused by incorrect air fuel mixture, like clogged injector, leaking air in the throttle body gasket or somewhere like a crack on the boot etc, warped head can cause air to get in, one exhaust is leaky or cracked. I would not bring the ECU issue in until all these little stuff are checked on first, then if nothing shows up, it could be the ecu. Crank seal could also be the reason, but how many miles on the motor total not just the top end. and incorrect oil mix ratio could cause this too but need to know the condition of that cylinder that is damaged, is it white on the top i mean is plug white? what kind of damage is there shown on the piston? melting or chipped, need to know the conditon and picture will help, it will help us diagonise what was causing it, like lean or oil consumation is out of whack, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the reply walleye!! There is just over 8500 miles on the sled now. When it went the first time the plug was white, but this time not as white. Last time the rings were basically melted in the piston. There was no chunks or pieces of the piston missing. Just the rings cooked in the piston and the cylinder scored up. The dirty injector makes the most sense to me because it was the same side that went. If it was an oil problem why not the other of both? It is definetly a leaning out problem. What i can't figure out is whatever is leaning it out why did i make it 200 miles before it blew again.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
well i dont know but for me it looks like oil problem, but im not a expert in that. each cylinder has its own individual oil injection i would say so.

so could be that side isnt getting enough oil to lubricate the walls and rings, since the ring melted in the piston, and the plug wasnt white. Your sled has high mileage so things bound to fail as it gets older. You will have to just diagonise problems and some how find a way to check the injectors to see if theyre working and flowing right, and get em cleaned and check the oil lines for blockage etc. hope other more experienced wrench guys who have come into similar situation will help you out better than i can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey walleye, I think your bang on it being an oil problem. I was riding with a buddy driving an 06 crossfire 700. We both filled our oil tanks at the same time when we left yesterday. He filled his today and it took 650 mls and he filled mine (sleds at his place) and it only took 330 mls that's like half. He only had to tow me like 3 miles so that's so he didn't really put on anymore miles than me. The question now is has anyone ever had an oil line plug up? If the oil pump was gone wouldn't i have damage in both sides?

Thanks for any help!!

Lightning

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey guys! I had my sled back together last week and everything seemed good. Went riding today and blew the same piston. (mag side). I figure it's leaning out on that side. I had about 230 miles on it since it blew the last time. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas what is causing this. Crank seal? Oil lines or oiler?
Any help would be great!!
Lightning[/b]

Measured the oil lightning yours used 335ml my XF 700 used 650 and we went the same distance (yikes) and I'm running at 53 to 1. Surprised it didn't grenade going across the river. plugged oil line or something ??? pull out the visa You'll be riding by next weekend. Maybe order up a couple of pistons you'll need 1 for sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts