Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
here's some more ammunition for you if you want to weed through all the b.s.
So I just came from one of the Arctic car dealers I use every year, and they said that Textron called them and said they won’t be selling Arctic cat as of March 31st. Apparently there will only be 4 arctic cat dealers in the state of Michigan. That’s sad
https://www.facebook.com/groups/700367290002634/

like I said before and once again, I'm more concerned about a lack of supporting dealers
Use zipcode 49501 (Grand Rapids) and do a 150 mile radius search which covers most of the LP and it looks like there are about 16 dealers in the LP. It's a low volume business, it's better to have a few strong dealers than many weak dealers.

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/shopping-tools/find-dealer

·
Registered
960 Posts
Cat/Textron pulled back the covers a little on what they think makes a “good” dealer, one worth keeping. That would be the cost of keeping a franchised dealer, based on rebates. A dealer relying on rebates to sell sleds isn’t selling sleds, they’re selling rebates.

On the other hand, a dealer might give up a franchise that’s not making them enough money to stay in business. It would be far better for them to save face by pushing the blame off on the manufacturer.

We’ll never know which of these reasons is the cause for an AC dealer to sever their arrangement with AC. Assume either. Never assume it was one without knowing all the facts... and the story the dealer tells is not a “fact” - they need to do what they need to do to make a living.

As for the Blast, I still think Cat is on the money with this offering. Not only is it a gap in their lineup, but they are testing (IMO) their next full-sized sled in front of everyone’s noses. If not the chassis, then at least some of the ideas that will end up in full-sized machines.

Looking forward to seeing one of these in person, because I think we will all be seeing one this spring.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Use zipcode 49501 (Grand Rapids) and do a 150 mile radius search which covers most of the LP and it looks like there are about 16 dealers in the LP. It's a low volume business, it's better to have a few strong dealers than many weak dealers.

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/shopping-tools/find-dealer
Did you read the comments and weed through the BS? Some of the comments irl2 dealers getting cut were unsettling as a Cat supporter. Some were stupid and a few were very funny.

How far are you willing to drive to look at a new sled or have a warranty repair performed on your new $12+K sled? These aren't a pair of sneakers on Amazon right? Parts when out of warranty for DIY'ers are no big deal with Country Cat, Babbits, etc. out there. Agree they don't need a dealer at every whistle stop but I also don't believe that selling only through mega-dealers is a great idea either.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Did you read the comments and weed through the BS? Some of the comments irl2 dealers getting cut were unsettling as a Cat supporter. Some were stupid and a few were very funny.

How far are you willing to drive to look at a new sled or have a warranty repair performed on your new $12+K sled? These aren't a pair of sneakers on Amazon right? Parts when out of warranty for DIY'ers are no big deal with Country Cat, Babbits, etc. out there. Agree they don't need a dealer at every whistle stop but I also don't believe that selling only through mega-dealers is a great idea either.
Im sure it was a business decision for cat. If they were profitable for cat, they'd still be a dealer. How many sleds and cat parts (honestly) did you buy from your local dealer?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Im sure it was a business decision for cat. If they were profitable for cat, they'd still be a dealer. How many sleds and cat parts (honestly) did you buy from your local dealer?
Sure it is/was, but there seems to be plenty of other folks gorked out about losing their dealer(s). What happens if you order a '21 Cat from your local dealer now and come next fall (or March as noted by one in the FB post) that dealer isn't a dealer any longer? Aside from oil - Zero parts, they didn't stock anything for older sleds or push their snow sales. This being said, they dropped Catextron is the rumor. Both my sleds were used and SP500's don't break much if ever as you well know. Your dealer is a whole different story and I can't foresee much changing there, do you?

edit: If I purchased a new Cat now, I'd have to drive a minimum of an hour to even visit a dealer. Would have likely dealt with the dealer about 20 miles away, which is also gone.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Route 12 Arctic Cat is 51 miles away from me, Nielsen Enterprises is 80 miles away, Road Track and Trail is 131 miles away, I've bought sleds from all three over the past few years.

My closest dealer ever was 9 miles away he went down in 97, the dealer furthest away was Adventure Centre in Marquette.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sure it is/was, but there seems to be plenty of other folks gorked out about losing their dealer(s). What happens if you order a '21 Cat from your local dealer now and come next fall (or March as noted by one in the FB post) that dealer isn't a dealer any longer? Aside from oil - Zero parts, they didn't stock anything for older sleds or push their snow sales. This being said, they dropped Catextron is the rumor. Both my sleds were used and SP500's don't break much if ever as you well know. Your dealer is a whole different story and I can't foresee much changing there, do you?

edit: If I purchased a new Cat now, I'd have to drive a minimum of an hour to even visit a dealer. Would have likely dealt with the dealer about 20 miles away, which is also gone.
We drive an hour (one way) just to buy groceries.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

On your hypothetical question about a dealer closing,I'm sure you'd contact the manufacturer and get the item somewhere else. I'm sure it's about the same process as if a dealer from any other manufacturer goes out of business (yes, it happens).
As far as your dealer not stocking any parts or selling sleds.. again, I don't think cat or the market will miss them. They don't sound very good or in a bad market.
And you admit you didn't do business with them. So why come on the internet and act like it's a big deal? When nobody in the real world cares? How many new sleds did they order to fit your hypothetical question?

HCS fake news

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
:head_hurts:
making their product less accessible to consumers is now a good thing? oh, now I get it. sorry! my bad

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As far as buying new sleds if the new model really is spring order only which Poo started with the 850,there will be no reason to go to the dealer as there is nothing to see.

The problem with Cat is they are also ditching shows and/or test ride events. At least Poo will let you see the sled in person at a show or a dealer sponsored test ride event. Cat implemented their spring order only program this year only to have nowhere to go in my area to see the sleds or test ride them. Meanwhile I had multiple Poo and Doo events including test rides where they could not only be seen but test ridden.

Cat needs to fix this if they plan on doing spring order only AND they are reducing the number of dealers in their system.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
As far as buying new sleds if the new model really is spring order only which Poo started with the 850,there will be no reason to go to the dealer as there is nothing to see.

The problem with Cat is they are also ditching shows and/or test ride events. At least Poo will let you see the sled in person at a show or a dealer sponsored test ride event. Cat implemented their spring order only program this year only to have nowhere to go in my area to see the sleds or test ride them. Meanwhile I had multiple Poo and Doo events including test rides where they could not only be seen but test ridden.

Cat needs to fix this if they plan on doing spring order only AND they are reducing the number of dealers in their system.
And some of their dealers are dropping them also.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'm thinking the dealers that have been told there not going to be selling Cat's anymore haven't sold much for product for a few years. Why does Textron need to keep these dealerships around waiting for the big rebates to lower the price of new and used sleds and other Cat products.

As far as Cat mega dealers I wouldn't think they like the new preorder only program (country cat) is a good example they would have hundreds of sleds at discount prices that heart resale on used sleds and even dealers that had new sleds that had a tough time competing on prices that the mega dealers where selling for. :dunno:

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dealers will have Blasts demo sleds sometime in January is what I was told
Like they did late season with the Riot, it makes alot more sense to have demo units on the snow in lieu of having sleds on carpet inside a conference center.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Wonder how good/bad that headlight is going to be?

Why not put the 'adult sized' windshield on the ZR's right away from the factory and make the 'racer' version an accessory?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think a blast for an adult would be lack luster at best. Get a 600 or 800 and start cutting weight. Eliminate springs for gas shocks, lightweight pipe and can, pull start only, swap all of the bolts for titanium, lighter seat, skis, etc... Would be alot more fun especially off trail

·
Registered
207 Posts
My first new sled was a 91 Prowler, 65 hp and 400 lbs by the way.... I was 27 years old and had an absolute ball on that sled, I can't imagine these would be any less fun. I'm pretty sure the Blast will be more capable in a few areas, and I'm sure that being half a 165 hp 800 that there is some more power on the table.

·
Registered
174 Posts

ummm, cat had more test ride opportunities and demos at dealers last year than they did the previous 5 years. the dealers i spoke with were quite happy with the demos and were looking forward to getting more this year.

·
Registered
2016 ZR6000 (for now....)
1,492 Posts
Wonder how good/bad that headlight is going to be?

Why not put the 'adult sized' windshield on the ZR's right away from the factory and make the 'racer' version an accessory?

If they're going to market the Blast sleds to the "kids" then it needs to look cool. The tall windshields are for us old guys who would consider buying one of these as a second sled just to bomb around on.

Again, if they're just trying to sell these to young folks (or get their parents to pony up for one) then the internet marketing is all they need. If they are trying to sell these things to adults as a fun play toy, then they'll need some demo rides to show just how fun it is (or isn't).

I hope it is a fun toy sled (i.e Firecat or Sno Pro). I'd actually consider getting one as a second sled. Ohh, maybe drop in the old Sno Pro 500 engine, and now we're talking!!!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts