Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
But the vintage sleds sure seemed fast when they were brand new! I have very fond memories of my first two sleds that were single cylinders. To this day I have been wishing the big bore single would return in modern form.

The Blast makes 65 HP. Probably my first 10 or so sleds didn't make that much HP until a got a Polaris 500 Centurian. After the Centurian I had a few Polaris 340 Indy's that made 56 HP and they seemed wicked fast.

I did have a '72 full factory mod/race 650 Polaris triple, maybe that made a bit more.

mike
They are probably fastish due to the lack of long travel suspension causing extra drag and banging off a 8 inch bump felt wicked when a new sled would just skip right over it. Plus you could pick up the front or back end of the sled with ease. Still fun to blip around on for a little bit.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
I used to keep a 99 Powder Special 700 as a backup, crossover sled.
It had a 136 with 2" lugs, narrower front suspension and big wide mountain skis... while I never had it in the undisclosed 'Mountains' I did play around with it on some hills, deep snow and other places, it was always fun to just bang around and do something different, it was geared real low and only did about 80mph, but you could ride on one ski all day on that thing.
I sold it to get a trail backup so my non-sled buddies had something easier to handle, but it would be cool to have a Blast Alpha just to mess around with.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Looks like the ascender body panels on it.
Starting to think it's alot like a fullsize procross/ascender with a light motor and tunnel. Maybe some less bracing etc. Front suspension I'm guessing is off a riot x/high country. We know it uses the 8000 can. Wonder if uses a tcl? I just looked, the alpha also has an 11.7 gallon tank. Coincidence? Still think it's only a kid sled?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've a gut feeling D&D, Speedwerx or someone will offer a kit to put a twin in these, ;)
Speedwerx isn't stupid. they've already stated tuning other brands such as Ski-Doo and Polaris. they aren't dumb they can see the writing on the wall that Arctic Cat is closing up. Why else would they kill the whole Snow Show exhibits. You only do that if your closing the doors

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Speedwerx isn't stupid. they've already stated tuning other brands such as Ski-Doo and Polaris. they aren't dumb they can see the writing on the wall that Arctic Cat is closing up. Why else would they kill the whole Snow Show exhibits. You only do that if your closing the doors
From a business standpoint why not? Why should Speedwerx put all their eggs in one basket when Doo & Polaris sell more sleds? D&D is working with Polaris and is doing performance parts for Doo too. Seems to me they've both joined the BMP route of business by offering products for all three brands. You own a company don't you? Does your company cater to the largest target audience possible or the smallest one possible?

While I disagree with many of Textrons moves and question their thinking/motives I'm not of the mindset that Cat is over and DOA. Cat as we used to know it is over, but that Cat was also losing money and might not have survived much longer, leaving just two major brands which would be worse for everyone.

Snow shows are a thing of the past. I don't blame them one bit for not wasting $ on that while they are getting restructured and put on a path to hopeful profitability. In the big picture, Textron/Polaris/BRP are all huge companies with one thing in mind - profits. The CEO's, board of directors and share holders of these companies are not passionate founders, engineers or gearheads. Those days are gone and we all need to get over it.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Cat quit the shows before Textron bought in. No sense in Textron going back on the road before getting everything else ironed out first.

Kens sports doesn't go to the shows anymore either...they are doing just fine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Cat quit the shows before Textron bought in. No sense in Textron going back on the road before getting everything else ironed out first.

Kens sports doesn't go to the shows anymore either...they are doing just fine.
Show in Milwaukee was in October of this year, so Textron bought Cat after that? Cat was there last October. So the news reports of the sale dates are wrong?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wrong. Cat wasnt at the Milwaukee SNOW SHOW last year. I was there... they weren’t.
Uh I was there and they were, don't know what Milwaukee show your talking about. I do have pictures of the then "brand new single rail Alpha mountain suspension" at the Arctic Cat exhibit last year or are you saying all that never happened?

·
Registered
797 Posts
could care less about snow shows when there's a lot less dealers
That's fine, if you don't care then why should anyone care. If that's the case and they are selling off the company and closing up shop, so why should I or anyone else care either? Using your line of marketing thinking they are all done, why market anything then?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
That's fine, if you don't care then why should anyone care. If that's the case and they are selling off the company and closing up shop, so why should I or anyone else care either? Using your line of marketing thinking they are all done, why market anything then?
when did snow shows become more important than having dealers, or new product, or staying in business? when did I say they're done? :nuts:

Yup, there is no second wave coming, they canceled everything else, including;
No Snow Shows
No Race team
no dealers at snow shows
no 129's
no LXR 's
no touring sleds
no four strokes
no new chassis
and no shortage of buyers looking elsewhere

if you're all done with cat over snow shows, you're off your meds or whatever your beef is, then adios amigo! :bye:

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Of the 6 dealers I've done business with they're all still going. And I don't personally know one that has closed in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
797 Posts
when did snow shows become more important than having dealers, or new product, or staying in business? when did I say they're done?
Uh kinda right here

Of the 6 dealers I've done business with they're all still going. And I don't personally know one that has closed in the last 10 years.
four gone here that were close to home or within 45 minutes.
Hm 4 gone close to you huh well that sounds like a company staying in business

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Hm 4 gone close to you huh well that sounds like a company staying in business
here's some more ammunition for you if you want to weed through all the b.s.
So I just came from one of the Arctic car dealers I use every year, and they said that Textron called them and said they won’t be selling Arctic cat as of March 31st. Apparently there will only be 4 arctic cat dealers in the state of Michigan. That’s sad
https://www.facebook.com/groups/700367290002634/

like I said before and once again, I'm more concerned about a lack of supporting dealers

21 - 40 of 67 Posts