Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just caught on the AC website that the Blast ZR weighs just over 400 lbs. https://snowmageddon.arcticcat.txtsv.com/ :fistpump2:

Now that probably puts the Blast M in the mid 400 lb. range.....That said I actually found my 2016 ZR 6000 limited to be more fun off-trail (UP) than my 18 Tiger 800 just because of the weight and it's easier to throttle the 6 in tight woods vs the 8......Now I'm thinking the Blast M could be a blast riding in the UP backcountry :bc:

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The blast m probably isn't much heavier if at all. Mono rail is light and in the field it's likely lighter because no snow weight in skid

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
If you do the math the blast is not very impressive. It will be great for a kid.

The bare bones doo 600 assuming it is 110hp is .24hp per pound vs the .16hp of the blast. The doo 600 ace is .19 Only using doo because they post their weights.

So it is close to a 600 ace hp per pound and being just over 60 pounds lighter.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Power to weight is one piece but also depends on gearing. My old man has an old polaris frontier that is anything but light but feels just as strong as any 600 up to 45mph, but wouldn't be any fun off trail. I think it will be the whole package as a whole with the light weight making it easy to control and then geared for like 70 mph max will be quite an off trail hot rod

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
19/50 gearing from what I saw was the same on the M, ZR & LT - from 1" lug to 2.0" lug

M lists 8 Tooth, 2.86 Pitch, Involute 2.0/146"
ZR lists 9 Tooth, 2.52 pitch, Involute 1.0/121"
LT lists 8 tooth, 2.86 pitch, Involute with 1.6/146"

would be nice to know the rpm range on the 400

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
This can't be serious... Your thinking you wanna ride a sled with 65 hp? I've already seen on facebook people thinking of turboing a blast... Just get an 800! Hell a 600 is double the horse power... You'd waste 8 grand over that mistake. Just sayin

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
This can't be serious... Your thinking you wanna ride a sled with 65 hp? I've already seen on facebook people thinking of turboing a blast... Just get an 800! Hell a 600 is double the horse power... You'd waste 8 grand over that mistake. Just sayin
Even boosted you still won’t have the power of a 600. Not even close.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about whether adult male customers (who are already happy with sleds they currently own) would buy a Blast.

That said, if I were Cat, I'd have a 600 twin version of the Blast on the drawing board for next year. For all I know, they do.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about whether adult male customers (who are already happy with sleds they currently own) would buy a Blast.

That said, if I were Cat, I'd have a 600 twin version of the Blast on the drawing board for next year. For all I know, they do.

I've a gut feeling D&D, Speedwerx or someone will offer a kit to put a twin in these, if Catextron doesn't use their brain cell and offer one first. problem will be getting a new or suitable donor engine, harness, ecu, etc. long block 600 is $2K alone - 0962-021

dying to see one of these with the plastics off and some good shots of how it's laid out. if they offset the engine to the pto side and a twin drops right back in there, should be a fairly simple swap in theory.

or, an F7 swap, those sleds are cheap! ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,535 Posts
If you do the math the blast is not very impressive. It will be great for a kid.

The bare bones doo 600 assuming it is 110hp is .24hp per pound vs the .16hp of the blast. The doo 600 ace is .19 Only using doo because they post their weights.

So it is close to a 600 ace hp per pound and being just over 60 pounds lighter.
Maybe I'm too old but I remember how much fun it was getting off the old triples onto a trail indy whenever riding in the woods or riding in the swamp, that's what I'm picturing the 400, a big weight loss off the front should make a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Maybe I'm too old but I remember how much fun it was getting off the old triples onto a trail indy whenever riding in the woods or riding in the swamp, that's what I'm picturing the 400, a big weight loss off the front should make a huge difference.
trail indy shared the same chassis and dimensions, Blast has a narrow M front end, with a 42" stance ZR front end I bet you could run this wot through a lot of windy trails

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The snowmobile market is shrinking by the day. The last thing they should do is status quo and what the current masses think, because that isn't working. This sled isn't for someone that is hardcore into sledding. It is for the fringe people or entry level or people who want lightweight! It is for a possible demographic that isn't even part of snowmobiling right now.
Hp per pound is only one little part of a riding experience. You can't deny just actual WEIGHT regardless of power. There is something called handling.
Also my 85 hp snowmobile is the funnest snowmobile I've rode period and I've had all kinds of them. 65 up in an even lighter snowmobile. I'm sure it's fine and like I said it's not supposed to be a top dog sled. It is something different. Until you ride one and really see what it's about it's impossible to know what the feel of the sled will be by looking at some numbers on the internet. I will hold out judgement until I see it in the real world and I think everybody should. And even if it's not something you're interested in it doesn't it doesn't have a market or will create a new one.

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am serious, I have over 130,000 miles on sled and have rode just about everything between Idaho and Labarador on sleds that have ranged between 60 HP and 190 HP, the Blast M wouldn't be my primary sled it would be my backcountry UP sled and my play around sled when we get a decent snow around here to pick around in the forest preserves.

A 400 lb backcountry sled with an Alpha suspension for 8K is cheap fun, should be easy to toss around in the tight woods, and easy to dig out

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of my current sled, but I absolutely could have fun riding one of these every now and then. I still ride some vintage ones a few times and have fun doing that even though they aren't very fast

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of my current sled, but I absolutely could have fun riding one of these every now and then. I still ride some vintage ones a few times and have fun doing that even though they aren't very fast
But the vintage sleds sure seemed fast when they were brand new! I have very fond memories of my first two sleds that were single cylinders. To this day I have been wishing the big bore single would return in modern form.

The Blast makes 65 HP. Probably my first 10 or so sleds didn't make that much HP until a got a Polaris 500 Centurian. After the Centurian I had a few Polaris 340 Indy's that made 56 HP and they seemed wicked fast.

I did have a '72 full factory mod/race 650 Polaris triple, maybe that made a bit more.

mike

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But the vintage sleds sure seemed fast when they were brand new! I have very fond memories of my first two sleds that were single cylinders. To this day I have been wishing the big bore single would return in modern form.

The Blast makes 65 HP. Probably my first 10 or so sleds didn't make that much HP until a got a Polaris 500 Centurian. After the Centurian I had a few Polaris 340 Indy's that made 56 HP and they seemed wicked fast.

I did have a '72 full factory mod/race 650 Polaris triple, maybe that made a bit more.

mike
Good post Mike! You still basing out of the Universel In Riveire du Loup?

I still have a 76 500 F/A Pantera and a 94 ZR 700, the 76 is a blast to bounce off of moguls for about 7 minutes and then I'm like damn.......... LOL
The ZR 700 I can still ride for 150 miles in moderate chop and still have fun, and then the next day I'm like give me the ProCross :lol:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi Vince, Yes, the Universel in RDL is still my second home. My dad had a '76 F/A Pantera, what a nice sled, extremely dependable. Dead even with my '76 Polaris F/A 340, but the Pantera rode better.

Reactions: vince

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think the blast will be just that, a blast. This sled is going to be almost identical in power and weight to the Yamaha Phazer, and we all know how well that sled was received back in the 80's, it put Yamaha into the number 1 sales position. The Phazers were known for how well they did in deep snow, i think the M Blast in particular will be too much fun in low elevation powder. This sled is about the size of performance sleds from the 80's, it appears to be bigger than what many are perceiving it to be.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts