Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from WI,and the terrain is generaly pretty flat .I wanna ride some open meadows,off-trail excursions,elevation changes, without going to drastic for my first adventure.The Black Hills seem to offer that type of riding,and is less than a days drive for me and some friends.Assuming the snow is there, is this a good spot?Have any of you been here before?where did you stay?I'm still in the planning stage so I'm open for suggestions of possible other favorite ridding areas with similar terrain!If you reply-THANK-YOU JASON

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've ridden there many times, and it is great. However, I now tend to drive past the Black Hills and head further west to the rockies for a steeper and deeper experience.

I would suggest staying in Deadwood at any hotel (Deadwood Gulch is really good) and trailer up to trailshead each morning. You can ride in and out of Lead or Deadwood but there are limited trails in and out of town and they get really rough and backed up with slow riders. By trailering to Trailshead you can eat breakfast there and your right in the middle of the trail system. So a few minutes ride in any direction from Trailshead and you can find great meadows and off trail riding.

Several things I would suggest; is to ride the Spearfish Canyon trail for the beautiful sights. You can then eat lunch at the Latchstring restraurant. Also, ride the highlines which are south of trailshead. There are many great meadows, dont be afraid to get off the trails and explore. Meadows go for miles and spill into meadow after meadow.

As if anywhere, weekends are always very busy. Try to ride several days during the week for less traffic. If riding off-trail with a low snow base, watch out for rocks and tree stumps!

You'll love the Black Hills,

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS JEFF,just the kind of info I was after,much appreciated!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,056 Posts
Spearfish Canyon Resort 605-584-3435 or spfcanyon.com.

This is a great place to stay, the best part is the hot tub for the end of the day there winter rates are 59.00 per night.

Remember there is no trail fee's in S.D. all donational. They have trailer parking, a restaurant and bar, highly recommend this place . I have stayed there since 95, you can still travel into deadwood for an evening of something else different. Les.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
The trail leads right out the back of Spearfish Canyon. No need to trailer anywhere. It abt 1 to 1 1/2 mile to the main trails. Great riding, Ridden for 30 years and its the best, I have ever had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, The stars have to align for snow conditions to be right. But if there is snow on the Needles highway trail (which is in the southern Black Hills) GO RIDE IT. It is under a ten mile ride, only for sight seeing, but it is the best scenery ever! Just keep it in mind for one of your trips to the Black Hills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts