Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been working on some billet's with rubber and have come up with something a little different that we think you guys are going to like.

Our wheels are going to have a replaceable rubber ring.....so if by some chance the rubber does break off it can be replaced, and the wheel does not have to be thrown away.

It is a Urethane Rubber that we are using and has tempurature ratings of -65 F to +275 F, and is very strong.

Due to the lack of snow where we are, we have been doing some testing in the shop. We have been running the wheel against a metal gear with weights pulling down on them to simulate running against studs, as well as the pressure they could encounter. We have been running the wheels at about 4000 rpm's, which is pretty fast.

So far they have been holding up well, next we plan on getting them wet, then freezing them, and then running them.

Please give us some feedback on this idea, as well as other idea's on how we could test them in the shop.

thanks

tricked-toys

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
you need something with different "heights" to simulate hitting studs, with the size of your wheel and the small pitch of the gear your not really hitting the wheel with different levels plus it just sees constant pressure. also you need to throw rocks, ics, dirt and frozen mud on you test stand to make it more realistic!!!!!! :) have fun!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you need something with different "heights" to simulate hitting studs, with the size of your wheel and the small pitch of the gear your not really hitting the wheel with different levels plus it just sees constant pressure. also you need to throw rocks, ics, dirt and frozen mud on you test stand to make it more realistic!!!!!! :) have fun!!!![/b]

Thanks....good idea's, we will try them out.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
how exactly would you "swap" the rubber pieces when they wear out?? i would think they would need to be bonded on the wheel somehow?? anyway i love your idea for these as i would like billet but dont want a solid wheel or one i got to toss out when the rubber is shot. keep up the good work!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how exactly would you "swap" the rubber pieces when they wear out?? i would think they would need to be bonded on the wheel somehow?? anyway i love your idea for these as i would like billet but dont want a solid wheel or one i got to toss out when the rubber is shot. keep up the good work![/b]
The rubber is not bonded to the wheel....it is streched over the wheel and sits in a groove that is milled into the wheel. If the rubber breaks (this stuff is tough sh$t) then you just need a new piece of rubber to install on your wheel.

·
Registered
982 Posts
One would worry about water migrating between the rubber and wheel. When it freezes it could force the rubber out of the groove. Tracks must move a bit from side to side on occasion. Could that result in the rubber moving on you? In this day age of super bonding materials there must be something that you could smear on there. Real world testing will tell you. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have been working on some billet's with rubber and have come up with something a little different that we think you guys are going to like.

Our wheels are going to have a replaceable rubber ring.....so if by some chance the rubber does break off it can be replaced, and the wheel does not have to be thrown away.

It is a Urethane Rubber that we are using and has tempurature ratings of -65 F to +275 F, and is very strong.

Due to the lack of snow where we are, we have been doing some testing in the shop. We have been running the wheel against a metal gear with weights pulling down on them to simulate running against studs, as well as the pressure they could encounter. We have been running the wheels at about 4000 rpm's, which is pretty fast.

So far they have been holding up well, next we plan on getting them wet, then freezing them, and then running them.

Please give us some feedback on this idea, as well as other idea's on how we could test them in the shop.

thanks

tricked-toys

[/b]
send me a set for an (03) f7,(03)f5,(03(zr900, and i'll test them at extream speeds,different temps, and ridding cond and let you know what up.
seriously nice peice, i like it keep up the good work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One would worry about water migrating between the rubber and wheel. When it freezes it could force the rubber out of the groove. Tracks must move a bit from side to side on occasion. Could that result in the rubber moving on you? In this day age of super bonding materials there must be something that you could smear on there. Real world testing will tell you. Good luck.[/b]

We are taking the freeze test to the extreme....we have placed the wheel in a plastic container and filled it with water until it covers the wheel, that is in the freezer right now. Once it is frozen solid we will put it on the testing machine.

Also, we added some more weights on the machine and tried some stock wheels....the one from my 05 REV lasted 30 mins before the rubber broke off, a brand new AC wheel lasted 10 mins.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You should try to impact test them at -20F, or so.

John

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not exactly sure what you mean here?[/b]
Take the wheels to -20F and smack 'em with a hammer...see if the rubber cracks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.