Hardcore Sledder banner
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Wasent conditions at all, was running a different pipe that didn’t have much smoke after 660
I don’t make excuses all facts, the jaws pipe needs to be hot, not warm. You won , I’m ok with that, whole set up was changed when I got home from there, won’t make that mistake again..
You won Saturday evening when we raced, no question about it.
I fully agree the track you were running was not helping at all and there were things with both of our setups that weren’t ideal. It’s racing, we learn from it every time we go out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We raced 4 times , first run was a cold pipe, didn’t warm it enough my fault you won fair and square.
However last 3 runs in a row you lost, where is the 4th video? Don’t forget to tell the viewers you asked me to race, I wasn’t picking on you with a bigger sled 😂😂
For the viewers to know the hay bailer was turning a 151 rip 1 track which I have sence removed was slowing me down a great deal, thank you for watching 👍
[/QUOTE]
We raced 4 times , first run was a cold pipe, didn’t warm it enough my fault you won fair and square.
However last 3 runs in a row you lost, where is the 4th video? Don’t forget to tell the viewers you asked me to race, I wasn’t picking on you with a bigger sled 😂😂
For the viewers to know the hay bailer was turning a 151 rip 1 track which I have sence removed was slowing me down a great deal, thank you for watching 👍
From a member reading and learning from this forum what was the reason the rip saw 1inch track slows a sled down in a drag like that? Is that a heavier track or not as efficient track, which track would be a better option?

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

From a member reading and learning from this forum what was the reason the rip saw 1inch track slows a sled down in a drag like that? Is that a heavier track or not as efficient track, which track would be a better option?
[/QUOTE]
Good question, the rip1 track in general is a great all round track , good top end , lugs are fairly stiff , good hook up. However at a 151 length the rear suspension didn’t transfer like it used to. To much leverage behind the rear arm mount at the rails , sled would not 60 that good 1.65-1.80 on dragy. This track was narrowed to 14 wide which took about 3.5 lbs off. Stared life at 49 and change, so roughly 46 lbs.
The track I usually run is a 144 hacksaw ,it’s 39 and change. The other significant change was gearing, was to low, only geared for 107 needed to be geared up some..

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 · (Edited)
So with a properly heated pipe it would have been 4 slaps.
One thing I've noticed about you Dr. is you never gloat and aren't a bragger.

As I watch the 3 of 4 run vid's and think about it I refer my own thoughts of comparison in the video match ups. I want to say this for the people reading and sucking up all the questionable negative comments that have been thrown around. The video match up was a 900 running a track that the rider has since found to be a negative drag. The 850 that is likely well set up was said to have had been less than ideal as well? I do believe what the Dr. says. Both of these guys take their racing much more seriously than I do considering I don't have a passion for the straight line race.

We all know the 850 stock mapping isn't a wonderful tune for the 900 especially for flatland low elevation riding. My Carl's 900 with the stock 850 tune being run in the Low elevation where it's at its worst walked right by my buddies stock 800. We both have Assaults and very similar tracks with the same gearing. I'm a lot bigger and heavier than my buddy just for the record. I don't have videos but my buddy came here on this thread and voiced his view in POST #134 so the stories validity to be factual stands. Kudo's to Battlestorm for putting up a fight that day between Dr's 900 with his dialed in 850. I bet if the race was to take place again today with both of them making whatever changes they've made since that race the Dr. would take every race convincingly. My point here is for the guys that don't straight line race and aren't already tuned for peak performance that are looking for some added Torque and HP above a stock 800 or 850 there is something there in the 900. The 900 will need a tune and tweak to see it's full potential but in my opinion if anybody is running high miles on their 850 and is thinking of doing a Top End the 900 in my opinion is a no brainer. While I feel I haven't completely transformed my Carl's sled to see it's full potential yet because Winter was cut short on me, I did find that the power difference seems to be more noticeable to me than some people here have come on to speak of. My thoughts are if I'm already seeing advantages with the 900 as it is with the stock 850 mapping I'm pretty happy to know there's more gains to be had with Boyd's tune and tweaking. I'll be getting those over the Summer!!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Maybe I missed it but how far were you guys running?It looked like 1000ft or more.
It was pretty close to a 1000ft I’d guess.
So with a properly heated pipe it would have been 4 slaps.
One thing I've noticed about you Dr. is you never gloat and aren't a bragger.

As I watch the 3 of 4 run vid's and think about it I refer my own thoughts of comparison in the video match ups. I want to say this for the people reading and sucking up all the questionable negative comments that have been thrown around. The video match up was a 900 running a track that the rider has since found to be a negative drag. The 850 that is likely well set up was said to have had been less than ideal as well? I do believe what the Dr. says. Both of these guys take their racing much more seriously than I do considering I don't have a passion for the straight line race.

We all know the 850 stock mapping isn't a wonderful tune for the 900 especially for flatland low elevation riding. My Carl's 900 with the stock 850 tune being run in the Low elevation where it's at its worst walked right by my buddies stock 800. We both have Assaults and very similar tracks with the same gearing. I'm a lot bigger and heavier than my buddy just for the record. I don't have videos but my buddy came here on this thread and voiced his view in POST #134 so the stories validity to be factual stands. Kudo's to Battlestorm for putting up a fight that day between Dr's 900 with his dialed in 850. I bet if the race was to take place again today with both of them making whatever changes they've made since that race the Dr. would take every race convincingly. My point here is for the guys that don't straight line race and aren't already tuned for peak performance that are looking for some added Torque and HP above a stock 800 or 850 there is something there in the 900. The 900 will need a tune and tweak to see it's full potential but in my opinion if anybody is running high miles on their 850 and is thinking of doing a Top End the 900 in my opinion is a no brainer. While I feel I haven't completely transformed my Carl's sled to see it's full potential yet because Winter was cut short on me, I did find that the power difference seems to be more noticeable to me than some people here have come on to speak of. My thoughts are if I'm already seeing advantages with the 900 as it is with the stock 850 mapping I'm pretty happy to know there's more gains to be had with Boyd's tune and tweaking. I'll be getting those over the Summer!!
The 900 kits make more Hp and torque then 850’s do and they are faster.
Yes I would say if his Jaws pipe would have been heated up before we did the first race then the 900 would have got all 4. There are also some stuff that Krazyzx9 touched on about my sled that would have changed things as well. Both of our sleds have different setups, tracks, wheels, drivers, skids, clutching and the list goes on. So not really a perfect comparison of a 900 vs a 850 but good racing none the less.
Heath said his sled is better now and I believe it is. Mine is better as well. At the time of that race I had exactly 2 months on a 850 and one month of tuning the ecu. It typically takes me a season and a half to fully dial in a sled. My lake testing process is slow but very consistent and accurate. I have dragy times of right before and after those races if anyone is curious of what I gained.
I believe right now my 850 will beat the majority of 900’s but I also think most 900’s will beat most 850’s. Terra Alps 929 probably makes the most hp/torque, BCM and Hanson’s both run good and I’m sure Carl’s does as well.

Those are some pathetic videos. Doesn’t tell much of a story. Can someone please purchase a go pro and attach it to their helmet.
The videos are fine. If you have questions about what the videos don’t show you then please ask.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Mike I hope you have better information on the 929 other then what Ted has told you over the phone??The information I have doesn't suggest that at all. I think you should lay out some coin and we all can find out next winter if you can get it by then...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Mike I hope you have better information on the 929 other then what Ted has told you over the phone??The information I have doesn't suggest that at all. I think you should lay out some coin and we all can find out next winter if you can get it by then...
Ive seen several videos of his 929 racing turbo's in the mountains and beating them.
Not really sure how far,but I will say this the video makes it look farther then it was. my best guess is 700-750 ft
Oh come on we were well past 750ft lol... Watch vid 3, takes us almost 8sec timing it for us to get there and we were well on our way before the vid starts on every vid. I actually had brought a range finder with but left it at the cabin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny part is dr. you wouldn't have any info as you dont have a 929 kit. You havent called to find out any info on a real bigbore or purchased one.
The 929/850 has extensive engine work to get the gains, porting, welding, pistons, Y pipe, muffler, head design, ecm tunes, takes alot of work to gain 18%
Even to gain approx 9% is good for you . I'm impressed. but it doesnt pull away from a stock 850, all that 900 torque should pull away few lengths and with the traction of your custom 151 track.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Ive seen several videos of his 929 racing turbo's in the mountains and beating them.

Oh come on we were well past 750ft lol... Watch vid 3, takes us almost 8sec timing it for us to get there and we were well on our way before the vid starts on every vid. I actually had brought a range finder with but left it at the cabin.
Really Mike, racing in the mountains, means what??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you're saying all the 900's are whopping pieces of shit.
Not ported?
5HP at best?
Can't beat an 850?
Exhaust valves rubbing on pistons?
Who's 900 are you referring to anyways? I have to ask?
The majority of 900s running around are a waste of money. Bored out and replated at plating shops with no proper head design for it, no case porting, no cylinder porting and welding, no extra airflow to gain hp, no Y pipe or muffler to go with it, no ecm tune. And using a sanding drum everywhere in ports is not porting!! Not even machining ex valves for clearance and airflow. Pretty sad what some will sell and what some will buy thinking the bs advertisement has got to be real. Cause some popular rider says its good. But really doesnt know the inside of a engine or how the 2 stroke works. Either do the dealers selling these kits but these guys are making 25% in there pocket . Its what the industry has turned into. advertisements and mark ups. People just arent calling around doing research before spending good money.
There is guys with just a good head design like a Terra Alps billet head and muffler out performing there brothers 900 kit he spent good money on.
I hear there is a few good running 900s , thats cool, alays good to see some runners out there. Hopefully there worth the money and have some time testing/dyno different port angles, port shapes, piston designs, head designs, y pipe designs, pipes, mufflers and tuning to get you the best.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Funny part is dr. you wouldn't have any info as you dont have a 929 kit. You havent called to find out any info on a real bigbore or purchased one.
The 929/850 has extensive engine work to get the gains, porting, welding, pistons, Y pipe, muffler, head design, ecm tunes, takes alot of work to gain 18%
Even to gain approx 9% is good for you . I'm impressed. but it doesnt pull away from a stock 850, all that 900 torque should pull away few lengths and with the traction of your custom 151 track.
Your right I don’t own one…
18% power increase over an 850 at an average of 170 hp stock , that’s a big claim? Ever had one of these engines on a dyno on the east coast for verification?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really Mike, racing in the mountains, means what??
dr. racing anywhere is racing! Horsepower rules. You love it just as much as most do. Doesnt matter where you are or what your racing.
You think there is no reality to racing in mtns or mtn sleds racing side by side , on hard packed snow, or up hill, at 4000 ft or 10,500 ft ? or on the trails racing back to the trucks at 1500ft elevation. Only difference with shorter tracks is the top speed efficiency. Most know your all about chassis efficiency, big wheels, drivers, gearing, tracks, clutching...
I guess guys racing anywhere else is not racing or accountable. wether it be out west, Coloraldo, prairies of Alberta, N Dakota, Ontario or Quebec. Equal tracks and chassis, let the hp rule.

201 - 220 of 248 Posts