Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others out there... I was told many things this year by Polaris. Shipping date 1st was set to be on the way by December 15th. I kind of forgot all that I was told after that as the picture grew more and more grim. I have tried my best to forget to be honest. December 31st, January, February, etc.... and then Finally in February I was told March 16th to the 31st was my new ship date. Knowing what I know about the Polaris speedy delivery system this meant April 1st delivery at the earliest to the 3rd week of April I might have my sled if there's no more new depressing news? I had kept my 2021 Assault so it wasn't the end of the world for me as I've had a sled to ride. We all know the Assault's seemed to suck the hind titty for timely deliveries compared to all the other models. Just before Snowcheck 2 weeks ago we all sat here on H.C.S. discussing what the new models might be. Four Strokes, Boosts, Triples and the 900. Of all the different possible options the 900 discussions was what had me most interested. So some cool things happened with the 2023 unveilings. A 4 Stroke, Boosted Assault's and VR1's and the 900 for the Mountains. I certainly didn't expect all those options but there wasn't a 900 option for my favorite sled model. "The ASSAULT" So I started doing research on the Carl's 900 Kit. So I 1st talked with Chris at Burandt's BackCountry Adventure store and soaked up a lot of cool information. I then talked to Derek at Carl's Cycle and gathered more information. I thought about it for almost 1/2 the day and called back and ordered up. It's the 9R head, Jugs, Pistons and Exhaust Valves. Basically a 900 Top end bolt on for the 850. It's been tested and ran hard since 2019. It's been a very tough Bullet Proof engine is what I was told. Runs on Pump Gas and runs great on the 850 mapping with no tweaks needed. My original thought was I'd convert my 2021 Assault into 900. Then I started feeling a little Crazy and thought I might as well just tear right into my new 2022 Assault and drop the 900 Kit right into that sled when I get it.

So today was the day that the Sun decided to shine on this old dog's ass I guess? It's about F*cking Time!! This morning the UPS truck pulled in the driveway and dropped off my Carl's 900 Kit and my new Diamond S Quiet Titanium Can. Felt almost like Christmas. I grabbed the Diamond S box and about shit how light it felt?? I had to tear into it and throw it on the scale. Exactly 4 pounds!! Reported to have 3-4hp in the can and Carl's also made high remarks that the Diamond S can works great with the 900. So the day can't possibly get any better right?? Well, at 4pm I get a call from my dealer and my 2022 Assault came in this morning, put together today and is ready for pick-up. Got off the phone and my phone is ringing.... It's my Ambassador buddy Lenn Stang and he tells me he must have ESP or something. He somehow was thinking that I got my sled so felt he would reach out and call to shoot the shit. We talked for a bit about a few things and then I had to cut it short with him because I wanted to call Rick at NorthStar Performance before they close. Rick answered and I told him about my day. Then of course I asked if he was ready to dig in on my sled project because I have all the parts and I'm going to pick up me new sled in the morning. He gave me the answer I was looking for.... "Bring it over!!"

So I'll be letting my 2021 Assault go sooner than expected. It has 2 years remaining warranty. Just under 2,000 miles on it. When I bought it I pulled the Walkers shocks and the 1.6" Cobra track off with zero miles on them. I've been running a full set of HyGear Shocks and a 1.75" Hurricane. My sled is clutched, geared and has a lot of other accessories I plan to pull off to list it for sale. Some stuff will have to go with it but I plan to put it back to as close to stock as possible. The Zero mile Cobra 1.6" with Zero mile stock gears and clutching with Zero mile Shocks will all be going back onto it.

CHEERS!! 😝 🍻

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
2,070 Posts
Like many others out there... I was told many things this year by Polaris. Shipping date 1st was set to be on the way by December 15th. I kind of forgot all that I was told after that as the picture grew more and more grim. I have tried my best to forget to be honest. December 31st, January, February, etc.... and then Finally in February I was told March 16th to the 31st was my new ship date. Knowing what I know about the Polaris speedy delivery system this meant April 1st delivery at the earliest to the 3rd week of April I might have my sled if there's no more new depressing news? I had kept my 2021 Assault so it wasn't the end of the world for me as I've had a sled to ride. We all know the Assault's seemed to suck the hind titty for timely deliveries compared to all the other models. Just before Snowcheck 2 weeks ago we all sat here on H.C.S. discussing what the new models might be. Four Strokes, Boosts, Triples and the 900. Of all the different possible options the 900 discussions was what had me most interested. So some cool things happened with the 2023 unveilings. A 4 Stroke, Boosted Assault's and VR1's and the 900 for the Mountains. I certainly didn't expect all those options but there wasn't a 900 option for my favorite sled model. "The ASSAULT" So I started doing research on the Carl's 900 Kit. So I 1st talked with Chris at Burandt's BackCountry Adventure store and soaked up a lot of cool information. I then talked to Derek at Carl's Cycle and gathered more information. I thought about it for almost 1/2 the day and called back and ordered up. It's the 9R head, Jugs, Pistons and Exhaust Valves. Basically a 900 Top end bolt on for the 850. It's been tested and ran hard since 2019. It's been a very tough Bullet Proof engine is what I was told. Runs on Pump Gas and runs great on the 850 mapping with no tweaks needed. My original thought was I'd convert my 2021 Assault into 900. Then I started feeling a little Crazy and thought I might as well just tear right into my new 2022 Assault and drop the 900 Kit right into that sled when I get it.

So today was the day that the Sun decided to shine on this old dog's ass I guess? It's about F*cking Time!! This morning the UPS truck pulled in the driveway and dropped off my Carl's 900 Kit and my new Diamond S Quiet Titanium Can. Felt almost like Christmas. I grabbed the Diamond S box and about shit how light it felt?? I had to tear into it and throw it on the scale. Exactly 4 pounds!! Reported to have 3-4hp in the can and Carl's also made high remarks that the Diamond S can works great with the 900. So the day can't possibly get any better right?? Well, at 4pm I get a call from my dealer and my 2022 Assault came in this morning, put together today and is ready for pick-up. Got off the phone and my phone is ringing.... It's my Ambassador buddy Lenn Stang and he tells me he must have ESP or something. He somehow was thinking that I got my sled so felt he would reach out and call to shoot the shit. We talked for a bit about a few things and then I had to cut it short with him because I wanted to call Rick at NorthStar Performance before they close. Rick answered and I told him about my day. Then of course I asked if he was ready to dig in on my sled project because I have all the parts and I'm going to pick up me new sled in the morning. He gave me the answer I was looking for.... "Bring it over!!"

So I'll be letting my 2021 Assault go sooner than expected. It has 2 years remaining warranty. Just under 2,000 miles on it. When I bought it I pulled the Walkers shocks and the 1.6" Cobra track off with zero miles on them. I've been running a full set of HyGear Shocks and a 1.75" Hurricane. My sled is clutched, geared and has a lot of other accessories I plan to pull off to list it for sale. Some stuff will have to go with it but I plan to put it back to as close to stock as possible. The Zero mile Cobra 1.6" with Zero mile stock gears and clutching with Zero mile Shocks will all be going back onto it.

CHEERS!! 😝 🍻
Let us know about the sound level with the diamond s. I’ve had very positive results with Carls’s big bore products in the past they were always very helpful and informative with getting their products to perform at their best, enjoy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well that’s just like whipping it out and swinging it around at the party. Awesome decision. If I like the assault as much as I think I will, and can’t pop motor in four years that will be the rebuild plan. Can’t wait to see it run against boost. Going to be monster. Better start working on the grip strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,607 Posts
Well CONGRATS ! Can't wait to see the comments about the new 900 install. And keeping the same fuel map ? Does it deliver more power ? If so you'd think more fuel would be needed. That's an interesting point on the 900 kit. DYNO TIME !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very interested on how this turns out. Seems like there is almost no information or feedback on anyone running his 900 kit on a trail sleds at near sea level. Only think I ever see is the mountain guys just saying it is great. Does seem weird that the stock tune works just fine with the larger pistons and cylinder.

Is there even a choice as far as cylinder exchange goes? I see the kit is roughly $2900 from Burandts webpage but is that without sending in your stock cylinder and valves? Is there even an option for exchange to get the price down? A lot of us were hoping for a 900 xcr which didn't happen. Hope it turns out good and excited to see the feedback.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I spoke with Carls Cycle and Burandts backcountry last year about doing the same thing ( should have bought the kit then as it was only 2500 at the time) i was trying to get any numbers out of them regarding power increase but they were adamant on how they never put the motor on the dyno but just know that it pulls a good chunk more in primary weight and also runs great on just the stock tune. I will eventually get the kit for my 850 but i am on the fence if i should do it now with my sled having 2k on it or just wait until it blows. I am excited to get some first hand knowledge regarding this kit , please keep us updated

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
3,068 Posts
Carls has always been a shop that doesn't play the dyno game, but I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about the performance of any of their big bore setups. The stuff just works. I'm not totally surprised it works fine with a stock ECM calibration, but would have hoped they had a tune that would have ironed out the "fade" problems that hamper some of the 850's out there.

·
Vendor
11,171 Posts
you keep your stock parts. this is all Polaris parts. no boring etc. O.E.M. cylinder, head, piston's, and ex. valves. so you can sell your no mileage take off parts and have not much into your new 900. Carls ports these to there spec. trail port , probably more of a clean up? if you flow that much more air you would need more fuel one would think.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have a ton of time here to try to answer a few questions because I have a lot of driving to do and need to hit the road after this coffee. Many things I do are a gamble and this is no difference. Some of what I think I know may change as we dig in as I find this is often the case with most things. The Kit was slightly over $2,900 but at that price you're expected to send them your head and your jug for Core's. Who knows if they take yours and machine and port it for but send you a different one? I think this was debated here earlier? I think this may have been the case in 2019 and in the early years but I really don't know, I'm just guessing? I think today this is all straight Polaris OEM equipment. For an added $550 you get to keep your Jug and Head and not bother send yours to them. If I had a worn out high mileage 850 sending it in might have been a good idea but in this case I'll be putting my Zero mile Jug and Head in a Box with a bunch of other Zero mile parts that will be pulled off. Having a brand new Jug & Head on the shelf doesn't sound like a bad thing. Or I can sell it and consider that money saved off the cost of the project.

Again on this mapping situation I'm guessing here. Both from Burandt's and Carl's they say works great on the stock mapping. Can more be gained with tweaked mapping? Well isn't that always the case? For me time will tell and as always I'm getting that guinea pig feeling again. This all happened so fast yesterday that I'm jumping past a few things that I had originally planned. I was thinking billet clutch with titanium pins, balanced and lightened flywheels and brake rotors. As Dr. Notadoo says, a Y-Pipe sounds like a good idea too. they did mention NOT using the SLP Twin Outlaw pipes as the 900 didn't like it. Given what they say, Pump Gas and stock mapping works awesome but isn't that what you'd expect to hear from two companies that have been working hand in hand with Polaris on this 900. Do I GUESS that they have run this 900 with tweaked mapping and other things that they didn't mention? Sure, I'd expect they have and I'm sure they know more about how to get more out of it than simply bolting this Kit on and going with it. Strong, Reliable and Bulletproof were a few words that were used to describe it. I did hear something about some light porting but hadn't followed up on that conversation. Regardless of changing mapping and adding all the things that ran through my mind I figured for starters why not play it safe and run it just as they recommended. For starters instead of jumping the gun we're just going to simply bolt all this stuff up and run it. Working on the clutching would be the 1st thing I'll expect to be doing. Beyond that, Break it in and go from there. Both Burandt's and Carl's don't speak of Dyno #'s or directly blurt out actual HP #'s. I was told what it is, is a 9R and theirs some figures out there for that, that are easy to find.

Take what I've gathered and guessed on with a grain of salt. I'm sure there will be plenty learned in this process. I don't consider myself a super knowledgeable sled mechanic and I've never made claims of being a tuner. I've done a lot of things to many different 800HO's since it's 1st unveiling in 2015 and I've been learning stuff about the 850 since my 1st one in 2019 and my 2nd one in 2021. This 3rd 2022 850 will be stepping into a new chapter and learning experience with it being a 900 before it ever hits the snow as an 850. Some of you real tuners out there I'm sure already know much more about the Carl's 900 than I do so please don't hold back sharing what you may have heard or what is actually known facts

Gotta Go!!.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I don't have a ton of time here to try to answer a few questions because I have a lot of driving to do and need to hit the road after this coffee. Many things I do are a gamble and this is no difference. Some of what I think I know may change as we dig in as I find this is often the case with most things. The Kit was slightly over $2,900 but at that price you're expected to send them your head and your jug for Core's. Who knows if they take yours and machine and port it for but send you a different one? I think this was debated here earlier? I think this may have been the case in 2019 and in the early years but I really don't know, I'm just guessing? I think today this is all straight Polaris OEM equipment. For an added $550 you get to keep your Jug and Head and not bother send yours to them. If I had a worn out high mileage 850 sending it in might have been a good idea but in this case I'll be putting my Zero mile Jug and Head in a Box with a bunch of other Zero mile parts that will be pulled off. Having a brand new Jug & Head on the shelf doesn't sound like a bad thing. Or I can sell it and consider that money saved off the cost of the project.

Again on this mapping situation I'm guessing here. Both from Burandt's and Carl's they say works great on the stock mapping. Can more be gained with tweaked mapping? Well isn't that always the case? For me time will tell and as always I'm getting that guinea pig feeling again. This all happened so fast yesterday that I'm jumping past a few things that I had originally planned. I was thinking billet clutch with titanium pins, balanced and lightened flywheels and brake rotors. As Dr. Notadoo says, a Y-Pipe sounds like a good idea too. they did mention NOT using the SLP Twin Outlaw pipes as the 900 didn't like it. Given what they say, Pump Gas and stock mapping works awesome but isn't that what you'd expect to hear from two companies that have been working hand in hand with Polaris on this 900. Do I GUESS that they have run this 900 with tweaked mapping and other things that they didn't mention? Sure, I'd expect they have and I'm sure they know more about how to get more out of it than simply bolting this Kit on and going with it. Strong, Reliable and Bulletproof were a few words that were used to describe it. I did hear something about some light porting but hadn't followed up on that conversation. Regardless of changing mapping and adding all the things that ran through my mind I figured for starters why not play it safe and run it just as they recommended. For starters instead of jumping the gun we're just going to simply bolt all this stuff up and run it. Working on the clutching would be the 1st thing I'll expect to be doing. Beyond that, Break it in and go from there. Both Burandt's and Carl's don't speak of Dyno #'s or directly blurt out actual HP #'s. I was told what it is, is a 9R and theirs some figures out there for that, that are easy to find.

Take what I've gathered and guessed on with a grain of salt. I'm sure there will be plenty learned in this process. I don't consider myself a super knowledgeable sled mechanic and I've never made claims of being a tuner. I've done a lot of things to many different 800HO's since it's 1st unveiling in 2015 and I've been learning stuff about the 850 since my 1st one in 2019 and my 2nd one in 2021. This 3rd 2022 850 will be stepping into a new chapter and learning experience with it being a 900 before it ever hits the snow as an 850. Some of you real tuners out there I'm sure already know much more about the Carl's 900 than I do so please don't hold back sharing what you may have heard or what is actually known facts

Gotta Go!!.

Seriously considering just going all in for 2023. My22 850 XCR just arrived, and have a boost coming...BUT sorta want to make the XCR a 900.....tempting, very tempting.

·
Premium Member
2022 XCR-850 136
2,314 Posts
I'm very interested to see how Jmaxdox's sled goes after this 900 upgrade. Talk about a sleeper! How would anyone even know when you pull up next to them on a lake?
Biggest tell tale sign of HP/Torque increase is how much more weight will be needed in the primary clutch.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts