Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 ZR 600 efi, it's got 6000 miles on it, but only 200 on a fresh top end. I'm a big guy, about 300 lbs, and I'm not getting very good mileage with it. I can get maybe 75 miles to a tank if I run it bone dry (prem. or reg. fuel) and about 60 before it hits E on the guage (the gas gauges on Cats are dummy guages). This is while doing about 60 mph most of the time. The thing is, I want to go faster than 60 mph, I like cruising the ditches at about 70-75 sometimes, and I don't accelerate slowly. I talked to a few guys, they said the gas mileage should still get progressisvely better after the rebuild. Does the type of oil I use have anything to do with it? I'm using Esso synthetic snowmobile oil this year, I know it's not the best, but I'm on a budget. The guy who rebuilt my sled said if I clutch it to my weight I should get better mileage too. He said I should put a two stage helix and different springs/weights in it and try to gain about 2-300 RPM. I've seen these fuel reducers form Bikeman Performance, they look like they could work. Anyone used one of these? What can I do to get better mileage, or do I just have to get a bigger sled, which I want to do anyway?

Thanks,
-Ryan

·
Registered
223 Posts
For 300 lbs your mileage isn't that bad. If you want to improve your mileage try not being in and out of the throttle so much. Try to avoid those short full throttle acceration periods.

Also your mileage will go up once yours rings seat properly

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,350 Posts
Track tension and track alignment is where I would start, track should be just loose enough that it doesn't ratchet.
That sled has power valves it should get at least 10 mpg even with your ass on it, which is a 120 mile range.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it could be your weight verses the sled size. it could be working to hard for your size. if you had a bigger sled, it would not be working as hard. but over all the gas millage is not that bad. a bud of mine has a zr 700 he is about 185lbs. and a 10 gal. tank every 90 miles he needs gas. it fuuny but a 340 fan cooled sled will use more gas then a 700cc sled becuase the 340 is working to hard. hope this helps.

THINK SNOW

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

:linemup: :celebrating:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If the clutches are shot will that effect the mileage alot?

Track is fairly tight, a bit tighter than its supposed to be. Alignment is OK as far as I know.

If your clutches are shot the efficienty of the sled goes right oout the windaw.. THink of it this way, if your tranny is workingcorrectly u will be getting the correct gear ratios thru the range that the sledis ment to operate in.. Now with a bad clutch your ratios are all over the place and you will be trying to make your sled move on ratios that are meant for a heavy load going fast and your ratios are being set up by a wacked ot clutch system that is telling your sled it shoud be in 5th gear when it really should be in 10th )all figuritivily of course.. THis will absoulutly destroy MPG..

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
This is while doing about 60 mph most of the time. The thing is, I want to go faster than 60 mph, I like cruising the ditches at about 70-75 sometimes, and I don't accelerate slowly.[/b]
^Thats why you get such poor milage. Take it a little bit easier on the throttle. If you are unwilling to change your riding style, you will have to live with poor fuel economy.
A sled with a bigger engine is only going to get worse fuel economy and any kind of clutching or gearing changes are unlikely to improve your MPG at all.
Basically, you will have to make a choice. Whats more important: speed or fuel economy? You cant have both.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great suggestions above, but do what I do these days.....leave it in the trailer. With the lack of snow, my sled is getting awesome gas mileage! JK couldn't resist, but it's true.

YS

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
I got 17mpg with my 01 ZR600 VEV one time

but that was only once and was on a club ride 50kmph/30mph for 120 some miles :)

Yet I average maybe 140-150miles per tank 13gal 12mpg

what RPM range do you ride in

might want to change your clutching

I know I get great mileage at 6000-6500rpm 80-90kmph

I notice my mileage drop when I changed to a steeper helix but it gets up to speed faster and my thummb gets itchy :)

also if you are busting drifts and riding loose pow pow your mileage will suffer big time as you are most likely above 7000rpm and the valves are open

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
A sled with a bigger engine is only going to get worse fuel economy and any kind of clutching or gearing changes are unlikely to improve your MPG at all.
Basically, you will have to make a choice. Whats more important: speed or fuel economy? You cant have both.[/b]
Hebi we are talking Cats here

The 600 and 500 are PIGS the 800 and 900 are actually a lot better on fuel,you get speed and fuel economy with the 800 compared to Cat 600

Though I do agree an itchy thumb loves its fuel

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.