Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was wondering what is the easiest way to change the main jets on a F5...? i really dont feel like drilling out all the rivets in the skidplate to get at the carbs from below. A while ago i thought i read that you can it it from under the hood by removing a few things... i have searched but with no luck. So if you guys could tell me that would be great thanks!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Originally posted by justinbcrazy@Oct 19 2005, 04:30 PM
hey guys i was wondering what is the easiest way to change the main jets on a F5...? i really dont feel like drilling out all the rivets in the skidplate to get at the carbs from below. A while ago i thought i read that you can it it from under the hood by removing a few things... i have searched but with no luck. So if you guys could tell me that would be great thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=941010
[/quote]

Many people prefer to simply tip the sled on its side. (the left side) and then use a torx bit to remove the belly pan. There are not rivits that need to be drilled out :dunno: Unless some knucklehead put it together.
Once you get the belly pan off you can access the carbs that way.

I have done it that way a few times, but I personally prefer to go in from the top. I pull the pipe and the carbs and work on them that way. I think my hands are just too friggen big to come in from the bottom. either that or I drop a jet and turn a 10-15 minute project into a much bigger one.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i run pod filters. Pull off the filters, loosen the carbs pull them out (make sure you have lots of slack gas line) hold the overflow line up then flip them upside down and pull off the nut on the bottom on the float to change the jet. If you do it right, you can change jets with barely loosing any gas from the float bowl, and in about 5 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
there rack carbs right? hopefully you can slide them out inbetween the frame and pipe.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
If you have an 03 with the coolant hoses on the carbs it will be easier to go from the bottom. If its an 04 or newer it is a horse a piece I guess.

I have an 03, but I bipassed the carbs with the coolant lines, like the 04's are.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
You don't have to take the whole float bowl off to change jets, do you? Should be a plug on the bottom. I would think it would be easier to change from the bottom, but I guess I don't have to worry about it, not with EFI.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
most carbs have a large plug in the bottom of the bowl... you can remove that to get at the main jet...

but to change out anything else your probly going to have to take it apart...

ive never worked on carbs on a firecat before so...

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

·
Banned
995 Posts
:frech32: once you take the hood off, airbox out, wiggle the rubber airbox boot to carb flange towards the front of the sled, the carbs will slide(with a little wiggleing) towards the front of the sled and up to be worked on.....HAWK!!!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Originally posted by Hawk@Oct 20 2005, 08:48 PM
:frech32: once you take the hood off, airbox out, wiggle the rubber airbox boot to carb flange towards the front of the sled, the carbs will slide(with a little wiggleing) towards the front of the sled and up to be worked on.....HAWK!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=944356
[/quote]

What are you talking about? I just pull the pipe off, loosen the carbs, and pull them out, nothing to it. It takes just as long to pull the pipe off as it does to remove the belly pan, and then I can just pull the carbs and work on the freely. :dunno: No need to remove the hood and airbox and all that Jazz.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
The 03s can come out the top very easy as firecatfever has stated - The rubber boot that attaches carbs to airbox is very flexible and gives alot to wiggle carbs out the top - No need to remove hood or airbox.

However my 05 is a bitch - That same rubber boot is very very hard , no flex to wiggle carbs out from the top - I did it once , pain in the ass - Would be easier from the bottom or remove hood and airbox etc. to remove carbs from the top - That rubber boot from carbs to airbox must be a different or harder rubber , no flex - Pretty sure the 04s are the same ? :cn:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts