Hardcore Sledder banner

Best trail riding area?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  FirecatF5SP 
#1 ·
Hey guys, basicaly brand new to riding, we have a little 03 Polaris 340 and a brand new Switchback with the cleanfire engine, this thing is BAD. Any way we wanted to go out and try some trail riding tomorrow, whats the best place to go? Any were pretty close to Eagle River?

#2 ·
Nancy Lake Recreation area is pretty close, safe and an easy ride. Hatcher's Pass is fun but currently probably a bit dangerous. With all the recent snow loading, avalanche danger is a distinct possibility for someone who doesn't know the signs.

For Nancy Lake, just take the Parks highway North through Wasilla, past Houston and turn left on the big, wide, plowed road to the Nancy Lake Recreation Area. The road will end in a few miles and there is parking on the left side. You'll have to pay to park. Unload there and continue by snowmachine down the road until you can drop down onto North Rolly Lake and follow the fairly well travelled trail to Redshirt Lake. There, be careful for overflow, but you can follow where ice fishermen and others who know the area well have gone and you should be fine. Along the way, there's some smaller lakes and ponds you can drop down onto and play around too!

Go to Yahoo! Maps, type in Wasilla, AK., zoom in a bit and pan the map past Houston till you see the Houston Cutoff and you'll see what I'm talking about.

My wife likes that little ride. Tomorrow, we are heading farther north past Trapper Creek to my buddie's cabin for an overnight stay. I can't find any reliable condition reports for the area North of Petersville, so I guess we'll go find out for ourselves. We are taking our little 4 yr old all bundled up, so if it's close to zero or sub-zero, we'll have to turn around. I don't want to risk her getting frostbitten. If we ride, I'll share the snow report when we get back.

Have fun, and be safe. Happy New Year everyone!

#5 ·
I'd say Caribou Hills. Trails up the gazoo and they groom a lot of them. This past weekend though I'd say the ungroomed trails were better then the groomed trails due to the New Years long weekend[/b]

agreed... the "groomed trails" were the worst I've ever seen them. snow wasn't to bad in the canyons though.

#7 ·
The trails out of Big Lake, Willow, & Deshka Landing have been packed well. All are marked well and signs have been put up at some of the intersections. On the Susitna and Yetena Rivers the trail is marked about every tenth of a mile(when someone hasn't run the sticks over) and they put up signs for directions this year. Most lodge are open for food and if needed fuel.

Off trail there is about 24 to 30 inches of snow, less as you get closer to Skwetna, a spin of the track takes you to dirt as there is no base. Seems to be the cry, WHERE'S THE BASE??!!!!

Alaska AWD if you ever want to take a ride out there let me know as I can ride almost always and could show you where some of the good swamps are to ride in.

#9 ·
Alaska AWD if you ever want to take a ride out there let me know as I can ride almost always and could show you where some of the good swamps are to ride in.[/b]
Man, I'll take you up on that offer too! I get out in the swamps and woods and they all look the same. Usually, I'm following folks who know the way and are haulling @$$ so I have to keep the hammer down too and can't take note of landmarks and turns. I have a Big Lake trail system map and a GPS, but haven't put in coordinates, nor even ridden that way in the past few years. Seems it's either Willow side of Hatchers, the cabin by Trapper Creek and an occasional Eureka (hard to get lost there).

Gonna be a cold weekend, but if it isn't way below zero next Mon or Tue, I'm thinking I'd like to head that way, if you're willing to guide!

#10 ·
I made the run Tuesday with my Niece and two neighbors. This was the Neice's 1st official ride. We had a great ride even though we were pushing -20*. The swamps have good snow depth, it just needs to warm up for one day to about 35* to set the base.

The Poker run is the end of the month for anyone interested. $20 entry fee, all money is paid out(minus about $20 to $30 for expenses) and payout is participant dependant to 5th best hand. One of the payouts was almost $1000 for 1st place.

You have my # call me. Monday would be better as I might have soccer practice Tuesday. We are waiting for ASD to give us our gym time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.