Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an '06 Firecat. I don't know about other Firecat's, but it pushes in the corners alot more than the ZR's that he and I are used to. It's probably not set up 100% right yet since it don't have a whole lot of miles yet. Anyway, his ZL needs new skis so I figured he can take the skis from the Firecat, put them on the ZL, and get aftermarket skis for the Firecat that'll help it turn a little better. I know everyone is going to have their different views. The sled is all trail riden, so I was looking at the SLP SLT skis. I always hear alot about the SLP powder pro's and all kinds of C&A's too. I'm just looking for some pro's and con's. I know there are like a million posts like this, so what's one more.

Thanks alot. :smiley-faces7:

Edit: The sled is orange so maybe we'll get orange ski's. I know the C&A orange is a few shades off, but what about the SLP's or any others? Not that it really matters since they are covered with snow most of the time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I added a pair of Powder pro's and they made a night and day difference. They are pretty wide but they sure did the trick for me.[attachment=300961:DSC00047.JPG]

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've got the same problem on my F6, pushing into the corners. I had the dealer change the weight distribution a bit, and it handles better, but I think I'll get new skis with longer carbides to help (since it's studded). I'll check into the SLP SLTs. Are they a single carbide or dual?

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
IMO, unless you ride deeeeep snow or race..........the stock skis are very good.
You need 6-8" SINGLE runner carbides, no pre-load in the rear shock spring, coupling blocks in and full tight, front springs set to 1/2 or 2/3rds tight. If you have air shocks, i have no clue, they tend to be rough with too much pre-load...
Set TOE OUT to 1/4" as measured @ the front and rear carbide bolts....this is critical...
Now, learn to NOT GRAB THE BRAKE like you would on a ZR when diving into a corner. Ease the throttle, and carry an insane amount of speed right through the corner. Learn to LOVE the one ski steering of the firecat. If you are riding hard, the inside ski WILL be off the snow, but do not worry. The sled will track right where you want to be...FLUID cornering, NOT BRAKE/POINT/SHOOT like a ZR...

Have fun, and spen the $ on gas and oil. You'll thank me.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
IMO, unless you ride deeeeep snow or race..........the stock skis are very good.
You need 6-8" SINGLE runner carbides, no pre-load in the rear shock spring, coupling blocks in and full tight, front springs set to 1/2 or 2/3rds tight. If you have air shocks, i have no clue, they tend to be rough with too much pre-load...
Set TOE OUT to 1/4" as measured @ the front and rear carbide bolts....this is critical...
Now, learn to NOT GRAB THE BRAKE like you would on a ZR when diving into a corner. Ease the throttle, and carry an insane amount of speed right through the corner. Learn to LOVE the one ski steering of the firecat. If you are riding hard, the inside ski WILL be off the snow, but do not worry. The sled will track right where you want to be...FLUID cornering, NOT BRAKE/POINT/SHOOT like a ZR...

Have fun, and spen the $ on gas and oil. You'll thank me.[/b]

Very interesting....you are the 1st person to say Stock skis a good...but Maybe I will try this instead of buying new skis.........

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
They are race skis, they should make a diff...lol...All I'm saying is the $$ for skis is better spent on gas and carbides..lol..unless you race snocross or you ride bottomless pow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ive got c&a razors on my f6, and they are much better than stock, the front end holds better in the corners than it did with the stock skis, a great upgrade in my opinion, heres a pic

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
c&a ad or adx are best for trail i found tha skis lift less in corners if u set up yur sled right but if u take tha stabalizer bar then ull be in trouble ive never tryed slp or simons or usi but i herd good things about them

·
Registered
281 Posts
i just bought c&a advantages, way better than stock in my optionion. i didnt have a problem with stock skis either though, like he said, love the one ski cornering!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have the Simmons and they blew me away. Day and night difference. I went one further and put 8" carbides on the inside of each ski and left the standard 4" carbides that they come with on the outside of the skis. The only way your not making a turn on the trail with these skis is if you forget to turn. Otherwise your set. Darting? forget about it. These skis make they're own tracks. Hands down. Can't go wrong, but sure are flippen expensive. :buttrock:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Have fun, and spen the $ on gas and oil. You'll thank me.[/b]
I'll let him know. That sounds a whole lot better than new skis. Either way he still has to buy new ones for a sled, but he was talking about selling the ZL anyway, so why put new ski's on it. If he can get the Firecat hooked up, that'll be good. He isn't impressed with it, so it'll probably be mine after this winter. I like the sound of carrying an insane amount of speed through the turns, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts