Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has driven or rode in all 3 Brands? Currently have a 2016 Ram 2500 and hoping for a bit better ride when I hopefully upgrade if things settle down. Starting to get used to the new GM's so not opposed to that, does the IFS help out? I hate test driving vehicles and dealing with salesmen so I would not mind narrowing it down. Also what are you guys with newer diesels getting for mileage city/highway mixed?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ram with air ride is Awesome and not butt ugly. Fords are a distant second. Personal opinion of course.
I did not know they had Air ride on the HD models. IM going to guess that it is only in high trim packages? I'm a Big Horn level guy, I could care less about fake leather in a truck

·
Registered
98 Posts
I average 19 with my 18 Ram 2500 diesel. Best riding 3/4 ton was my 2011 Silverado. Would never get a Duramax over a Cummins no matter how good the ride. If I was getting a gas truck, it would be a Chevy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ive owned (14) 3500 silverado's so far in my life. In 2015 I bought a 15 2500 Ram...It is absolutely by far the worst riding truck I have owned...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I am going to say IMO< the IFS checy/GMC will give you the softest ride, its by design
but I am not a fan of either trucks in many other places
if you like the dodge/ram's or Ford's

and not happy with OEM ride, there are tons of better suspensions you can add to make them ride better, these are supposed to be WORK trucks for hauling heavy things, towing heavy thing,s not daily drivers for groceries and such, so they should IMO< drive some what like a TRUCK
I own a 2016 Ram 2500 now, (6.7 diesel) and I do not find it riding that bad, it rides smoother than my 2006 Ram 2500 I had
adding better shocks can help a bit, but replacing coils on the models that still have them, can make a BIG difference when matched with good shocks for them!

I know no one wants to spend more $$ after buying a new truck, but it is an option for those that do want better than OEM ride on ANY make!

I personally buy my trucks based on the job there needed to do and try and buy what I think will do it best, ride quality alone wouldnl;t be a deciding factor, knowing I can make it better if needed!

all trucks have there pro's and con's so no bash on any brand, I just have had terrible luck with Chevy/GMC branded vehicles to the point I won't buy again, unless I move and have better dealers !

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive owned (14) 3500 silverado's so far in my life. In 2015 I bought a 15 2500 Ram...It is absolutely by far the worst riding truck I have owned...
Does yours have the rear coil springs? I think it''s the front end of the Rams that are harsh

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About as biased as a two stroke oil thread.
Only if you're biased, i have no problem complementing a brand even if it is not my favorite. 15-20 years ago when I was driving all brands often the GM HD trucks rode nicer. wondering if the same is true with the new ones

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,605 Posts
Set your tire pressure to 50 psi for everyday use . Big diff
I keep mine at 50 rear, 45 front for everything, including hauling a sled and/or pulling a 2 place. If I'm going to load up some rock or dirt, yeah, run her up to 75. Other than that, 50.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
161 Posts
The best riding 1/2 and 3/4 tons ever made are the Chevy Avalanche's.
I had an 03 with a 5.3L/3.73 factory gears, even the 3/4 has a coil over suspension and rides like a Cadallic.
Make fun of that one-piece body with a 6" box all you want, those things are solid.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I keep mine at 50 rear, 45 front for everything, including hauling a sled and/or pulling a 2 place. If I'm going to load up some rock or dirt, yeah, run her up to 75. Other than that, 50.
Every one runs too high of a pressure in tires! even more so with E rated. Do those pressures set off the TPMS?

place I used to work made us send tires out at max tire pressure after some idiot tried to blame us when he hooked on to a dump trailer with low tire pressure ahah 35" mud tire at 80PSI is ROUGH

I know this is not a 3/4Ton but in my jimmy I only run like 20psi on the road. The tire its self makes a massive difference.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just got a 19 Ram 2500 Cummins after 15 years in an 04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. 04 Chevy rides better and seems to handle big trailers better, Ram with coil springs bounces more after hitting a cross culvert or something similar. Rear end on the Ram also wheel hops more whereas the Chevy stays planted to the road better. Ram has better cooling system though, Chevy will pull and pull til it overheats where the Ram stays cool. Engine brake on the Ram is a very nice feature that my old Chevy doesn't have although the newer ones do. Fuel mileage on the Chevy about 14.5 unloaded, around 12 with a 37' camper or 24' gooseneck trailer, drops significantly if I go over 68 mph. Ram about 16.7 unloaded, and around 14.5 with the 37' camper. So far I'm disappointed in the fuel economy on the Ram, was expecting in the 20 mpg range. Hopefully it gets better when its broke in. 2 other things I'll comment on, the mirrors on the Ram suck ass! Not horrible looking out the left side or when backing straight, but try to back a trailer around a curve looking through the right side mirrors without someone to guide you and forget it. Other thing is the 68RFE transmission will never on its best day compare to the Allison. No problems with it, but the Allison is smoother and more decisive. Its kinda sad that a brand new Ram tranny cant compare to a 16 yr old Allison with 170K hard miles on it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got a 19 Ram 2500 Cummins after 15 years in an 04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. 04 Chevy rides better and seems to handle big trailers better, Ram with coil springs bounces more after hitting a cross culvert or something similar. Rear end on the Ram also wheel hops more whereas the Chevy stays planted to the road better. Ram has better cooling system though, Chevy will pull and pull til it overheats where the Ram stays cool. Engine brake on the Ram is a very nice feature that my old Chevy doesn't have although the newer ones do. Fuel mileage on the Chevy about 14.5 unloaded, around 12 with a 37' camper or 24' gooseneck trailer, drops significantly if I go over 68 mph. Ram about 16.7 unloaded, and around 14.5 with the 37' camper. So far I'm disappointed in the fuel economy on the Ram, was expecting in the 20 mpg range. Hopefully it gets better when its broke in. 2 other things I'll comment on, the mirrors on the Ram suck ass! Not horrible looking out the left side or when backing straight, but try to back a trailer around a curve looking through the right side mirrors without someone to guide you and forget it. Other thing is the 68RFE transmission will never on its best day compare to the Allison. No problems with it, but the Allison is smoother and more decisive. Its kinda sad that a brand new Ram tranny cant compare to a 16 yr old Allison with 170K hard miles on it.
good info, thanks. I think i would get the Aisin if I got the Ram. Hard to believe that you think the 04 Chevy handles trailers better than the Ram. I pull 14-20 k with my Ram and a 03 HD often and think the Ram is much better. I also despise Ram's mirrors.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One thing I dislike about my Ram Laramie is the lack of a telescopic wheel. Ford and Chevy both have it and Ram even has it on the half ton. Makes no sense it’s not available on the 3/4 and 1 ton.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts