Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this year will be my groups first completely saddlebag tour I intend to rent 2 sat phones to take along with us. Has anyone rented any sat phones, where, etc.?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
952 Posts
Since this year will be my groups first completely saddlebag tour I intend to rent 2 sat phones to take along with us. Has anyone rented any sat phones, where, etc.?

Thanks
Jack[/b]
Look here. www. vzwrentinternational.com/satellite_phone_rental.asp

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Thanks
Jack[/b]
We have one reserved for our big trip this winter as I never want to be in a position where we get in a bad situation and have no means to contact the outside world and help. We looked at several different options and Globalstar seemed to be our best option. They are a major sponsor of FCMQ as well. If you sled around the populated areas there is cell coverage in most areas but once you head to the more remote areas there is nothing but you and the great outdoors.

Andy

·
Registered
47,320 Posts
Unless Murphys law crops up...you really don't need a sat.phone...i also agree reg.cell phone service is pretty darn good across Quebec. We have been into areas where i though for sure service would be no way when you compare it to here in the states.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Unless Murphys law crops up...you really don't need a sat.phone...i also agree reg.cell phone service is pretty darn good across Quebec. We have been into areas where i though for sure service would be no way when you compare it to here in the states.[/b]
yep. and your not riding solo either, so if you get into bad trouble at least you have someone to eat.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts

Thanks
Jack[/b]
Carrying a sat phone while touring in the more remote regions of la belle province just makes good sense. We have carried one for the past 5 years on our big cross country loops. Used it on three occassions, most recently when we found the tank bag of the leader of another group we had passed on the trail south of Clova heading down into the Gatenau. The Outfitter we stayed with that nite has no electricity, let alone a phone. No cell coverage for 45 miles. The guy who lost his tank bag with his entire itinerary for the week, his cell phone, his credit cards, etc., was shure happy when i called his lodging that nite and told him i had his tank bag. Guy was from Ottawa. Fortunately never needed the sat phone for a life threatening issue for a call to Air Ambulance, but it is just common sense to carry one when you can be 50 miles from the nearest human being, let alone a cell phone tower.

Below a Mt-Laurier - Latuque line, you probalby will have cell coverage 50% of the time, though if you are in the shadow of a mountain twixt you and the cell tower, you can have no signal for miles. Not to mention the bullshit you can have in parts of Quebec where there is no co-operation between vendors (no roaming on their system without you getting the standard "WD-40" message informing you to get out your credit card before you can make a call. nice when you only have one bar and you aren't a french speaker).. Obviously, if you are south of St-Donat - St-Michelle-des Saints - Manawaki, you will probably have cell coverage 75% of the time.

I second the earlier posters: go with Globalstar. Inquire if you are able to buy a refurbished/reconditioned unit. With all the guys coming home from Iraq and Afganistan, there are beaucoup used units. Also, Globalstar has the most flexible smorgasboard of plans. If you are only plannig to use it for emergency use, not calling back to the squeeze each nite, go for the basic plan!!

Enjoy your ride.

timbo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carrying a sat phone while touring in the more remote regions of la belle province just makes good sense. We have carried one for the past 5 years on our big cross country loops. Used it on three occassions, most recently when we found the tank bag of the leader of another group we had passed on the trail south of Clova heading down into the Gatenau. The Outfitter we stayed with that nite has no electricity, let alone a phone. No cell coverage for 45 miles. The guy who lost his tank bag with his entire itinerary for the week, his cell phone, his credit cards, etc., was shure happy when i called his lodging that nite and told him i had his tank bag. Guy was from Ottawa. Fortunately never needed the sat phone for a life threatening issue for a call to Air Ambulance, but it is just common sense to carry one when you can be 50 miles from the nearest human being, let alone a cell phone tower.

Below a Mt-Laurier - Latuque line, you probalby will have cell coverage 50% of the time, though if you are in the shadow of a mountain twixt you and the cell tower, you can have no signal for miles. Not to mention the bullshit you can have in parts of Quebec where there is no co-operation between vendors (no roaming on their system without you getting the standard "WD-40" message informing you to get out your credit card before you can make a call. nice when you only have one bar and you aren't a french speaker).. Obviously, if you are south of St-Donat - St-Michelle-des Saints - Manawaki, you will probably have cell coverage 75% of the time.

I second the earlier posters: go with Globalstar. Inquire if you are able to buy a refurbished/reconditioned unit. With all the guys coming home from Iraq and Afganistan, there are beaucoup used units. Also, Globalstar has the most flexible smorgasboard of plans. If you are only plannig to use it for emergency use, not calling back to the squeeze each nite, go for the basic plan!!

Enjoy your ride.

timbo[/b]
Excellent advice. I am also considering a Sat phone, and I appreciate the input. :div20:

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you've never used a Sat Phone before your not going to be that impressed. I've used one all over the place and these are some tips I've found.

You need a clear space, no trees, no mountains, no houses no nothing.

Roaming is pretty tough (pricewise) on globalstar but if an emergency who really cares.

Clear sky is a lot better than clouds.

Use the phone like a walkitalki with the antenna pointing straight up instead of to the side like in the pic.

You have about 15 min before the LEO's move off to the next position.

End result works good for short chat or checking in with the office.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was amazed myself at the cell reception we had MOST of the time last year on our first trip to QC. BUT I expect that the routes I have planned for this year will cross more than a few holes in cell coverage and the last thing I want is to say in retrospect "if we only had a sat phone" in the event something happens. We are only bringing it for emergency and not for idle chatting. I looked into it last year and the price didn't seem too bad, bout the same roaming price we paid for our cell phones if I remeber correctly. Certainly worth it at a lot more in an emergency. Thanks for the tips.

Jack

·
Registered
47,320 Posts
yep. and your not riding solo either, so if you get into bad trouble at least you have someone to eat.[/b]
Come on guys...wheres ones sense of adventure....you guys have gotten soft...cell phones...sleds with all kinds of cushy comfort features...now sat phones...why years ago we had none of that and it was still fun. I met a couple older gents two years ago at relias 22 that basicly did the lewis and clark thing in the early days of quebec snowmobile travel...they never had cell or sat phones...don't think they still do... these guys are amazing the amount of miles they do a year....the stories they told us with the sleds of yesterday...incredible.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats an interestering comment. Pretty sure Lewis and Clark took along all of the technology of their day and you can bet your **** skin hat if they were leaving tomorrow, they'd be bringing a sat phone.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you absolutly need to be prepared, I don't speak the language, (and hold no currancy) and most the time i have no idea where i am, GPS and SAT phone maybe the only thing that saves me and my brothers.
yes, boondocking sounds cool, but i don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Gutz

·
Registered
952 Posts
Come on guys...wheres ones sense of adventure....you guys have gotten soft...cell phones...sleds with all kinds of cushy comfort features...now sat phones...why years ago we had none of that and it was still fun. I met a couple older gents two years ago at relias 22 that basicly did the lewis and clark thing in the early days of quebec snowmobile travel...they never had cell or sat phones...don't think they still do... these guys are amazing the amount of miles they do a year....the stories they told us with the sleds of yesterday...incredible.[/b]
They are not using the phones for pizza delivery on the trail! They are for real emergency's.

·
Registered
47,320 Posts
All i'm saying is years ago before all this newer technology came to being...we did saddlebag tours in fairly remote areas with only our fan cooled sleds that had 4'' of suspension and did just fine. Now everybody is loaded up with the same stuff with whats available back home.....pretty soon we'll need support vehicles shadowing us to make sure all is perfect throughout the trip. I guess anyone can have a real emergency but those are the risks to be accepted....kind of like eating pizza up there...very few places know how to make a good one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
All i'm saying is years ago before all this newer technology came to being...we did saddlebag tours in fairly remote areas with only our fan cooled sleds that had 4'' of suspension and did just fine. Now everybody is loaded up with the same stuff with whats available back home.....pretty soon we'll need support vehicles shadowing us to make sure all is perfect throughout the trip. I guess anyone can have a real emergency but those are the risks to be accepted....kind of like eating pizza up there...very few places know how to make a good one.[/b]
Aw, cmon Too Slow. Seriously, would you consider getting rid of your cushy 2005 xc ride for a 1976 340 TX? Nothing wrong with being as comfortable and safe as possible on the trail. Yes people did the trips without the comforts we have today and most of them lived to tell about it but i'm betting there are many others that were seriously injured, died, frostbite, etc....that you don't hear about. Imagine what a phone would've meant to those people. It's a lot more fun to ride with safety features available, afterall i have a wife and 2 young kids at home expecting me to come back.

I do understand what your point is but i don't think it's a matter of being "soft" but more of a matter of "if it's available and affordable, why not be safe?". My take is that you can't be too safe when you have people back home that want and expect you to return. You owe it to them.

·
Registered
47,320 Posts
Aw, cmon Too Slow. Seriously, would you consider getting rid of your cushy 2005 xc ride for a 1976 340 TX? Nothing wrong with being as comfortable and safe as possible on the trail. Yes people did the trips without the comforts we have today and most of them lived to tell about it but i'm betting there are many others that were seriously injured, died, frostbite, etc....that you don't hear about. Imagine what a phone would've meant to those people. It's a lot more fun to ride with safety features available, afterall i have a wife and 2 young kids at home expecting me to come back.

I do understand what your point is but i don't think it's a matter of being "soft" but more of a matter of "if it's available and affordable, why not be safe?". My take is that you can't be too safe when you have people back home that want and expect you to return. You owe it to them.[/b]
Yeah, just having a little fun here...i'm all for a safe trip also but seems with this new gear it gives some guys a sense they can ride and behave like idiots no matter where they are. Years ago we were more concerned with just making it from point A to point B for the day....now its how fast they can do it for some. We have seen some results of wicked accidents i don't even think a sat phone would of made much difference lately. As far as owing my family that i safely return....hee hee...sometimes i think they pay me to stay up there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.