Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Sledders,
I moved to Utah a couple years ago and fell in love with sledding. I now have 4 sleds in my garage from an older Ski-doo to the Alpha. I'm still trying to settle on just one but until then I like the versatility. My question to the community is where is the best place to live for the most back country, between trees riding? I'm looking at West Yellowstone, Alpine/Afton, Sandpoint ID, and a couple other places. What about Maine?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think if your a die hard HAVE to ride off trail and want long season

I think you need to look at Revelstoke, British Columbia, I doubt many area's offer more and the season to ride in,, after that, I say any area that has a lot of elevation , as that is what it takes to keep snow long and get new snow early!, Cookie city MT, gets a lot of long riding, as do countless other places, again wit elevation.. All the main area's however will also have more traffic, so there are down sides to going to known area's,

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I live in and ride in Maine, even though I'm not an off trail rider I'm pretty darn sure Maine is probably not the best place for that type of riding in the country.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
865 Posts
If you are looking for off trail, you need to go west for sure. But for the first question, I think 'the best place to live' is a different question from 'the best place to snowmobile'. Maybe that just means I am not hardcore enough...

For me, best place to live has to include lots of factors, one critical one is being close to family, another is work. I wish it was as easy for me as buying a house on a trail network, not so easy here in Mass.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This is a better question asked over on Snowest.com

However I will give my input, I think the best place for you would be Island park, ID or "Big Springs" ID. Your about an hour from Bozeman and Idaho Falls, both cities with larger populations and everything you would need. The riding is barnone by far my favorite place to go to out west, 7k elevation with great snow year in and out. Also the best part of the area is how much National forrest and endless riding opportunities you have in the area.

·
Registered
40,014 Posts
If you are looking for off trail, you need to go west for sure. But for the first question, I think 'the best place to live' is a different question from 'the best place to snowmobile'. Maybe that just means I am not hardcore enough...

For me, best place to live has to include lots of factors, one critical one is being close to family, another is work. I wish it was as easy for me as buying a house on a trail network, not so easy here in Mass.
While i wouldn't want to live there, after many many past years of snowmobiling across quebec, its pretty hard to find a better trail system. There's some good off-trail riding to thats overlooked.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Can’t beat Quebec. Mont Valin in particular for deep deep snow and very long season. To top it off you have the rest of Quebec to play on every type of trail you can imagine. I often read threads here on lack of snow or no snow at all, short seasons, poor conditions, too many riders, etc. We don’t seem to get those problems here. Snow cover is very predictable and plenty of it year in and year out.

·
Registered
40,014 Posts
Can’t beat Quebec. Mont Valin in particular for deep deep snow and very long season. To top it off you have the rest of Quebec to play on every type of trail you can imagine. I often read threads here on lack of snow or no snow at all, short seasons, poor conditions, too many riders, etc. We don’t seem to get those problems here. Snow cover is very predictable and plenty of it year in and year out. View attachment 2103698
Devils mountain?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes. Looking back from the relais towards Windigo Falls. It’s all modern now up there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in and ride in Maine, even though I'm not an off trail rider I'm pretty darn sure Maine is probably not the best place for that type of riding in the country.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.
I grew up in Southern Maine and remember toms of snow but not the elevation. Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’m not sure about live. But if you can live anywhere and have a stable of sleds. Owning or seasonal rent of cottage in Quebec would be hard to beat. I’ve never been out west and can only imagine. But I can vouch for Quebec and mont valin having plenty of snow and lots of power line and tree riding. But that’s only what I saw from the trails which are spectacular. My perfect spot would have off trail riding and great trails. A four place stable can support that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think if your a die hard HAVE to ride off trail and want long season

I think you need to look at Revelstoke, British Columbia, I doubt many area's offer more and the season to ride in,, after that, I say any area that has a lot of elevation , as that is what it takes to keep snow long and get new snow early!, Cookie city MT, gets a lot of long riding, as do countless other places, again wit elevation.. All the main area's however will also have more traffic, so there are down sides to going to known area's,

I'm looking at Kalispell, MT now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a better question asked over on Snowest.com

However I will give my input, I think the best place for you would be Island park, ID or "Big Springs" ID. Your about an hour from Bozeman and Idaho Falls, both cities with larger populations and everything you would need. The riding is barnone by far my favorite place to go to out west, 7k elevation with great snow year in and out. Also the best part of the area is how much National forrest and endless riding opportunities you have in the area.
I live at 7K now in Heber City, Utah and we ride to 10K plus so my sleds have been adjusted to that elevation. We are also supposed to have "The Best Snow on Earth" according to the locals that fought for that title. It is pretty amazing but the season is too short so I want to see what else is there. We went to Alpine and Afton and Afton was more what I like and not just trails. Trying all the Idaho spots this year. Odd, I have lived in Maine, Colorado, Alaska and other places with snow and I just now started loving this sport.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can’t beat Quebec. Mont Valin in particular for deep deep snow and very long season. To top it off you have the rest of Quebec to play on every type of trail you can imagine. I often read threads here on lack of snow or no snow at all, short seasons, poor conditions, too many riders, etc. We don’t seem to get those problems here. Snow cover is very predictable and plenty of it year in and year out. View attachment 2103698
That is GORGEOUS!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
have to remember that lots of trails, don;'t mean off trail riding and or playing in the tree's

most all of the playing in the tree's and off trail steep and deep ONLY happens in places with elevation!
and you do NOT find much elevation in places east of the Mississippi
you only really get that elevation snow and the elevation, in places out west and in western Canada where its also at!

as far a sin North America that is!
there is a huge difference in being an ON trail rider, and a OFF trail rider what one looks for and places to consider GREAT, are typically two totally different locations apart.

just the legal side of riding access is a big part of where you can do one or the other!
I know of very few is ANY , places in the northern MID north central or northern east, part of the USA that have much REAL LEGAL access to off trail
90% of all riding is done ON trail, not off, and those that do venture OFF trail, either know secret spots, or limited places where its allowed,
meaning LEGAL!
and worse, many that THINK off trail is OK< tend to be wrong and get trails closed and pissed off land owners!
neither good for a place to live if one wants to be a off trail rider!

if one wants to be an OFF trail rider, location matters a LOT and pure and simple, the west rules in this type of riding!, just the land mass alone, millions of acres to ride in!
this alone is a huge difference as to what the east has to offer, , even in places that have LONG seasons!, there just isn;t the SPACE to do off trail in the same perspective of amount of acres open to do so!

if you really want BOTH off trail and trails, its hard to beat places like west yellow stone, and surrounding close area's
Island park, Pine dale, Togwotee , and like places, where they have tons of GREAT trails, running thru millions of OFF trail area's! and a LOT of the modern facilities along the trail and in towns near by!
PURE off trail, I again, vote for , Revelstoke, British Columbia , the snow fall numbers and length of season seems to place it at the top of most lists!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts