1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is it ?
i wish i knew ?
anyone know ?
wanted to go to spruce woods this weekend but got the call that it was terrible,
where too now ?
LDB ?
Hecla ?
Marquette ?
let me know boys and I'll post if i find something good too.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Best I have seen this year is south of winnipeg on the Voyageur Grooming assoc. trails
lots of running in the ditches but they are so smoooooth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anywhere in southwestern Manitoba is terrible. There's not enough snow and therefore most clubs aren't grooming much, if any at all.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Got just about 3 feet of the light fluffy stuff up here in Gillam. If you need a groomed trail to "ride" the groomer should finally be out by this weekend. Thompson has a pile of snow and good groomed trails. North is where you want to go.

·
Registered
669 Posts
go to the south east corner (woodridge) but what ever you do: DOnt go to Lac Du BonneT! they are shyte[/b]
Lac Du Bonnet is almost always shit even with good ice and lots of snow. Too much traffic. If you get behind the groomer it can be good but you have to be pretty lucky. I really wonder why they even bother in that area. Too bad cause the trails have potential in that area.
This year is worse than ever due no ice and low snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
warren, woodlands st.laurent. trails are all very good, groomer has been out every thursday night. very nice riding, lots of snow in the maquette pits.

·
Registered
523 Posts
warren, woodlands st.laurent. trails are all very good, groomer has been out every thursday night. very nice riding, lots of snow in the maquette pits.[/b]
Agree, went on a nice night ride Friday. Trails were better than I expected. Myself, GlassRacing and WillysVenom had a nice loop through Woodlands/MTT/Oak Point/Inwood Shack and back. RTM was noticeably absent, perhaps attending a Diversity Training session to better understand gamblers/aboriginals.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got just about 3 feet of the light fluffy stuff up here in Gillam. If you need a groomed trail to "ride" the groomer should finally be out by this weekend. Thompson has a pile of snow and good groomed trails. North is where you want to go.[/b]
Good to hear you got some snow, I was up at Christmas and did some riding with Ultra8 and the trails were rough. I would like to get back in the spring for another week-end of riding. It was a lot of fun but I forgot how fast the little brother rides and was a bit sore for a few days.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I got all the wiring done on the groomer with the exception of the headlights yesterday, which Will should likely be finishing off today. The new motor's in and set up and running well. We were putting some foam insulation into the cab yesterday. It should be out by either tonight or tomorrow. Before anyone chirps up about "just about ready to go, it's already January" the last rebuilt motor blew a headgasket in under 10 miles (sh*tty rebuild job, somewhere in Brandon I think), and the wiring was all melted to crap. Can a #12 wire from the alternator handle 60 amps, especially when run tight along the motor? No, it cannot. It will melt every other wire in contact with it though. Good old number 4 should do a little better. We keep getting an inch here and there, with more coming in the next few days. Hopefully the groomer should last more than a week of sustained running before something catastrophically fails again. Those are some of the costs associated with operating a snowmobile club. In fact, it's just about all of the cost. Anyway...

652, the trails were rough, but people were still riding them, eh? Think any of those "ooooohhhh the groomer hasn't been out so I can't snowmobile" people would care to take a ride on a real rough trail?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got all the wiring done on the groomer with the exception of the headlights yesterday, which Will should likely be finishing off today. The new motor's in and set up and running well. We were putting some foam insulation into the cab yesterday. It should be out by either tonight or tomorrow. Before anyone chirps up about "just about ready to go, it's already January" the last rebuilt motor blew a headgasket in under 10 miles (sh*tty rebuild job, somewhere in Brandon I think), and the wiring was all melted to crap. Can a #12 wire from the alternator handle 60 amps, especially when run tight along the motor? No, it cannot. It will melt every other wire in contact with it though. Good old number 4 should do a little better. We keep getting an inch here and there, with more coming in the next few days. Hopefully the groomer should last more than a week of sustained running before something catastrophically fails again. Those are some of the costs associated with operating a snowmobile club. In fact, it's just about all of the cost. Anyway...

652, the trails were rough, but people were still riding them, eh? Think any of those "ooooohhhh the groomer hasn't been out so I can't snowmobile" people would care to take a ride on a real rough trail?[/b]
Yea the trails looked like they had a lot of riders out on them, we went down the DC line and it was like riding a snowcross track I had to stand up the whole way. A bit more snow will really help out with the trails, I got hit with dirt the few times when I was following Glynn.(when he would slow down to let me catch up)

·
Registered
439 Posts
We just got back from a ride, went over by Shawn Cullens cabin, the nelson was awesome fresh, untouched powder as far as the eye could see, ripped probably 7 miles down towards longspruce, then headed back and just played around the cabin a bit. Good ride !

·
Registered
278 Posts
We just got back from a ride, went over by Shawn Cullens cabin, the nelson was awesome fresh, untouched powder as far as the eye could see, ripped probably 7 miles down towards longspruce, then headed back and just played around the cabin a bit. Good ride ![/b]
Went out to the cabins all by my lonesome good rip kinda chilly today -27 when I took off...... We could still use a bit more snow IMO another 6'-8' would be perfect :snowfall: the trails are a little rough I grew up riding without a groomer no big deal the Pro-x is better than the Gemini any day of the week

·
Registered
439 Posts
was waiting for your call glynn ! should've came with us their ended up being a ton of us out there at shawns cabin, ended up getting my face frost bitten to the max should feel awesome on tomorrows ride !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hecla was awesome last weekend. Perfectly groomed! Decent amount of snow.[/b]

Where abouts are you ridding around hecla? is there a groomed trail system other then south accross the lake?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where abouts are you ridding around hecla? is there a groomed trail system other then south accross the lake?[/b]

Not exactly sure what you mean "south across the lake." You do have to come from the south and cross the lake to get there, either from Riverton or from Victoria Beach (which isn't open yet anyway) but once you get on the island, yes, there is a groomed trail system. It goes from the south end all the way to where the hotel is, at the far north part. The hotel, as said in the free press this week, should be open by february, which will at least give us somewhere to stop and eat. Also, there is a town on the island with a groomed trail going into it. Not much there. But we usually do some off trail riding on the lake and around the town.
Hope that helps. Oh ya, and there is also a trail that goes from hecla further north to grindstone point, and then onto biscuit harbour. Not sure of the status of that at this point. Biscuit harbour resort is supposed to be open and groomed again this year, but we'll see.

note: Riverton is your only reliable place to get gas, keep that in mind if you go up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts