Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for ride Tuesday, January 15th, and was very disappointed with the conditions. Groomers have been out this entire week trying to fix up trails and fill in water bars and such, with a great degree of luck, but trails are still in rough shape.

Started off heading out through Berlin Center on 19N towards the WMRR club house and made it about 1 mile past the high school. There are two LARGE open ice holes in the trail, and when I went to turn around I almost go myself. Both holes are wider than the trail, and the ice around them is very weak. There were also many large rocks still showing through the surface of the snow. There were a few 4wheelers that even turned around. We need a few nights of sub-freezing temps to get this trail PASSable again.

Next I headed out 12N from Berlin center towards trail 18. The state groomer had been out from the Pollution Control facility here in Berlin, and the first 5-6 miles were immaculate! After you reach the turn for the 7 Boys loop, and head down a bit on the fire road it turned ugly. The groomer had been through, but there were MANY MANY rocks showing through the surface. Two other sleds had been through, but turned around before I did. Water bars had been filler in nicely, and surprisingly going through the town dump entrance was in decent shape, but this way is not passable beyond the first 6-7 miles unless your shooting for a new sled.

12S of Berlin was the same shape. Once you get down under route 2 and head south towards Randolph, the rail bed was open before we got this last 3" of snow. This is ridable, but the first few riders blew much of the powder back off the trail. Your basically riding on a snow sprinkled gravel bed for a good 3 miles. I turned around here too.

All in all, groomers have been doing what they could, but riding from Berlin Center is not advised right now. With temps being in the low teens this week and some snow expected for the weekend, it might very well bring us back to where we were, or close. We could really use another 6-8" to sugar coat things and get us out.

Ian

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hopefully the snow this weekend will help things out. We rode into berlin 2 weeks ago from errol and it was pretty good! We got confused once we got into the milan system about the routing of the trails. Last time we were out there we hit 12A and went out around success pond which was beautiful but i think they may be logging in there this winter. WE did meet the milan groomer on 12 heading up the ridge. Its amazing how much damage was done by the recent weather.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Hopefully the snow this weekend will help things out. We rode into berlin 2 weeks ago from errol and it was pretty good! We got confused once we got into the milan system about the routing of the trails. Last time we were out there we hit 12A and went out around success pond which was beautiful but i think they may be logging in there this winter. WE did meet the milan groomer on 12 heading up the ridge. Its amazing how much damage was done by the recent weather.[/b]
Your Berlin area forecast:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?s...7&map.y=132

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Good to see all those flakes on the forecast. We have trucks in berlin almost daily so we know the general conditions most of the time

·
Registered
714 Posts
Those "lakes" on the Berlin local trail are not going to be easy to fix. We talked about it tonight. One is 100 feet long and the width of the trail and up to 2 feet deep and the other is about 60 feet long and just as deep. We are hoping to get the city of Berlin to truck snow to a spot near the 100' long water hole and then to use the groomers to push it in to fill it up. Then hopefully it will freeze. The other water hole is not near any road access, so we are not sure what to do there. Just dragging snow in is not going to work. When ATV's come up to a water hole and turn around, you know there is a real problem...

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Snow depth map....best depth is Pittsburg and Carroll county, SLSC OVSC SOS, MMR trails, Fryeburg Maine and east has the jackpot...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Those "lakes" on the Berlin local trail are not going to be easy to fix. We talked about it tonight. One is 100 feet long and the width of the trail and up to 2 feet deep and the other is about 60 feet long and just as deep. We are hoping to get the city of Berlin to truck snow to a spot near the 100' long water hole and then to use the groomers to push it in to fill it up. Then hopefully it will freeze. The other water hole is not near any road access, so we are not sure what to do there. Just dragging snow in is not going to work. When ATV's come up to a water hole and turn around, you know there is a real problem...[/b]
Do you have a line on hay bails? Build a narrow groomable trail of hay bails, they soak up water and freeze to a nice base. I haven''t seen the section so I could be out of line, trucking in snow is a great idea, maybe talk to walmart for a snow donation from their parking lot? Good luck, I hope everything works out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts