Hardcore Sledder banner

Belt Life

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Upstater57 
#1 ·
I admit after reading about all the 2017 horror stories about belts exploding I was reluctant to buy a SW but after 2 seasons on one I have gotten a full season out of each belt. 4000 km's each and very happy with belt life but under WFO throttle I keep expecting to go boom but so far so good.

See less See more
#4 ·
My Dad has a stock 2017 with almost 7,000 miles. He slaps a new belt on at the beginning of each season and he hasn't blown one yet.

I picked up a 2018 RTX SE this fall. At 1,046 miles the stock 8JP exploded. I replaced it with a new 8JP. I have 500 miles on this belt. I'm going to see what kind of life I get out of the 2nd belt. If it blows at less than 1,000 miles, I will be checking alignment.

I've heard great reviews about the Ultimax XS825. I purchased one as my spare. I will be trying that next.

#10 ·
If you ride these like a two stroke the four strokes seem harder on belts. My buddy has almost 5000 miles on his original stock belt on his Tcat. On my boosted 1100, I change them every 600 - 700 miles as a safety precaution. I do see wear on my belt. We are both meticulous on maintenance. I have only blown one belt in 7 seasons with my sled and I did add the blast shield from belanger.

Hope you don't mind a cat guy commenting. I do own 3 vintage Yamaha's.

#11 · (Edited)
Your 14, 9000 has the air scoop and big fin Cat clutches. It runs a lot cooler than the 12's and 13's did, that's why you haven't had belt problems along with a harder compound. Engine braking plays a part in it too because it pulls the cords in the opposite direction, so if you actually do drive it like a two stroke, if you throttle down a four stroke so it minimizes the engine braking, your belt life theoretically, should be better, not worse. Your buddies T-cat has Team clutches which ran a lot cooler and hasn't had belt problems to begin with, those were all the 12's and 13's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.