Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 f7. I believe original primary and secondary. Sled has had a 0627-020 on it this belt has very shallow cogs on top of belt. Deflection etc seems good no issues. For over 1000 miles. Just put brand new 0627-020 on sled . Slapped it on and sent kid on his way did t look at anything. He comes back and says smells belt. I pick up hood and deflection is loose . Loose enough that I just pulled the belt over the secondary sheeve and took it off. Put the old 020 back on and deflection is good and I had to properly open the secondary to get it on. Took sled back out and no issues. I haven't done any measuring of either belt. Did cat change the belt dimensions and I need to tighten up the secondary or did I get a way out of spec belt. ? Oh btw. The new 020 has large deep cogs on top of belt. Without measuring new belt seems long when installed .thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
035 was stock belt on 06
020 stock belt on 03
The newer 020 belts with arrows are different than the old 020 belt, at least the material is. Don't grab like the older belt. Not sure about length since I didn't measure It.

·
Banned
5,902 Posts
Yes they changed the 020 belt. I do not know all the specifics but I have run one of the new belts broken in back to back with an old 020 belt. I did not change anything other than the belt. ( I did not set deflection or clutch to the new 020) I lost 2 MPH in 1000' run on two known machines with known set ups. Then put the old 020 back on and MPH went up. If you set up to the new 020 it may be fine. I am just using up all my old 020s before making the change.
There is another new belt part # I was sold at Haydays 4 years ago that was supposed to be quicker than the 020. It wasn't I put the 020 back on and it went the same as always......again these may be good belts once you set up to them. I will find out when I run out of old belts.
I have a couple 020s from the late 90s they still work good and make good MPH.
I would double check bump mount and center to center then maybe pull a washer out of the secondary, reinstall the old belt if it's ok and rock and roll!

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes I reinstalled old belt and it all fits fine. But that one has a bunch of miles on it and is getting crappy. Old 020 with shallow top cogs fit fine before and when I reinstall it .new 020 with deep cogs is so out of wack I can just pull it right of secondary without opening it at all just pull it up out and off. The kid is out riding or if just measure the damn thing. It's has to be to long . Which is ok I'll just have it set up for the newer belt style. I'm just wondering cause they are the same part number old one fits good new one doesn't. One would think a new one would be tighter also. That's not the case here. Idk. I guess I'll had to measure both. Do you know off hand what the length on the old 020 is ? That one is on sled he is out riding

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Circumference on the newer(deep top cog) is approx 48 1/8 measure with a string around outside of belt. Width across top is approx.1 3/8ths

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey son, wanna race my new one???
Here try a new belt......Hahaha!
Lol. Ha. He'd cry. He loves that sled. It's in pretty much mint condition with less than 3k on it. I don't think there is even one scratch in hood. He loves going out and beating up on his buddies in the field . Thanks for the measurements .and that right there pretty much ends the mystery the new 020 IS to long for this shimming. :bc2:

·
Banned
5,902 Posts
Do you run it much over 100? You can use an old 010 it is a similar in length and compound to the old 020 but one size narrower. You can shim the clutches and rock and roll. I've used them in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Can I just shim the secondary diff. (Narrower) To take up that extra length ? (Of the new 020) Widths are close. That way this new belt would work and he could pick up another newer easy to get 020 and have a exact back up. I'm assuming most of these 03 running around have been switched over to take the newer belt. I can't imagine most people are running around with a belt that doesn't fit for shit and haven't noticed . Your lucky you have that stockpile of belts. That's how I used to be with 080 and 65 Polaris belts . Had them all over the place. How about aftermarket ? Know if any decent belts that are same size as the old 020 ?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hmmmm. I know you've given me some options with the other belt .so I. Trying to not drive ya crazy. But what the hell are the majority of 03 f7 owners doing for replacements on these sleds. Are they just shimming for the new 020. And saying screw it if I lose a lil overdrive. ?

·
Banned
5,902 Posts
I have no idea what anyone is doing, I am out of the loop. I have been putting this off for years. I will just look for a soft compound belt same sizes and tune to it.
Was the 48-XX" measured or advertised? It used to say on the sleeve.

Why don't we phone a freind or ask the audience???
Stronger800 Sir, what did you do when you ran out of old 020s??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol. Thanks bud. If nobody chimes in with the answer I'll post what I end up using. Either that or I'm going to the sled salvage place and fingering through cat belts till I find some decent ones.

·
Banned
5,902 Posts
I don't want to say much more beacause I am not suggesting something I can't run the same speeds with. Someone will reply that has moved on.
I never did this. But I've lost a 1065 Polaris belt at the bar in my XC700 days...haha! Keep a sharp eye........

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Carlisle XS 802, no difference in RPM from the older 020. 035 is about 200 RPM higher , I think the 031 is very close also to 035. My 06 came stock with 035, but I ran the older 020 many times, but can't stop that belt from blowing apart & causing damage. So I run the XS 802 or run the 035 but have to add weight to primary. If you don't want to change any clutching the XS802 should be right on for RPM. Hope that helps!!

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
I was out if the 020 series loop, before the belts changed. I honestly did not know the new ones were that different. Thought they were harder, and only a slight bit longer., not an inch longer. I still have old style 020's on mine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts