Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of replacing my driveshaft bearing as my speedo quit on me the other day. For the sake of time I just went to my cat dealer and bought the bearing and they appear to be a sealed units? Didn't get a chance to look at my old one as it blew apart!! Looking at this it seems as if the zert on the speedo drive does nothing but lube the adaptor and the shaft?

Do you guys do anything to the bearing to make it greaseable? Like pull the seal that faces the speedo drive or drill small holes in it. The only thing that worries me is letting moisture in.... Or just leave them sealed and change them out every 3000 miles or so?

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
In the middle of replacing my driveshaft bearing as my speedo quit on me the other day. For the sake of time I just went to my cat dealer and bought the bearing and they appear to be a sealed units? Didn't get a chance to look at my old one as it blew apart!! Looking at this it seems as if the zert on the speedo drive does nothing but lube the adaptor and the shaft?

Do you guys do anything to the bearing to make it greaseable? Like pull the seal that faces the speedo drive or drill small holes in it. The only thing that worries me is letting moisture in.... Or just leave them sealed and change them out every 3000 miles or so?[/b]
The replacements have not had holes on them for quite awhile. I would bet the ones not getting greased regularly were getting moisture thru the bearing holes making it worse. Greasing the zerk will still push out moisture out of the speedo drive, which I have seen ice up and break the drive pin.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just run the bearing as is and throw a little grease in the zert to keep moisture outta the speedo drive?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Do you guys do anything to the bearing to make it greaseable? Like pull the seal that faces the speedo drive or drill small holes in it. The only thing that worries me is letting moisture in.... Or just leave them sealed and change them out every 3000 miles or so?[/b]

I magnetized a small drill bit and put a couple holes in the inside seal so grease could get in easily. My motto is as long as there is grease in the bearing no moisture can get in.

Grease it after every ride as well.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I magnetized a small drill bit and put a couple holes in the inside seal so grease could get in easily. My motto is as long as there is grease in the bearing no moisture can get in.

Grease it after every ride as well.[/b]
yes it may keep the water out but too much grease can be just as bad as not enough for a bearing. too much can cause excessive heat and premature bearing failure.

I would keep the seals on. keep the speedo drive lubricated

·
Premium Member
20,494 Posts
Just pull off that outer seal like your first instinct was to do. Grease it one or two pumps every other week or so and it will last a long long time. Most guys I know have always done it this way.

·
Registered
450 Posts
IMO

You are talking about trying to 'customize' a $10 bearing that is easily replaceable every 3-5000 miles which as long as you grease it a couple times a year will last just fine!

I am of the KISS philosophy

KEEP IT SIMPLE S....D!!! :m2c:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts