416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still not enough to get the sled out yet. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[attachment=277183:Christmas2006_030e.JPG]

[attachment=277184:Christmas2006_032e.JPG]

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks for the pics ..... my hunt camp is not too far from bancroft (off of 41) but being from ottawa it's hard to know what conditions are like.

a few more inches and we'll be able to run the logging roads. at least it looks like it's sticking now *knock on wood* and we can start to build up a base.

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for the pics ..... my hunt camp is not too far from bancroft (off of 41) but being from ottawa it's hard to know what conditions are like.

a few more inches and we'll be able to run the logging roads. at least it looks like it's sticking now *knock on wood* and we can start to build up a base.[/b]

I must be just down the road from you, I'm 3 miles south of 28/41 intersection. Gotta love Susan and Berry at the old 41 stop. :beerchug:

-CZ

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Still not enough to get the sled out yet. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[attachment=277183:Christmas2006_030e.JPG]

[attachment=277184:Christmas2006_032e.JPG][/b]
Where's Kevo - he'd ride that! :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's more than I was expecting

Is there any ice at all up there DOOBEE ?

Cheers[/b]
I didn't go out to measure but our small lake is frozen and most of the ones I passed looked covered. It was pretty cold up there the past few nights and the ground is pretty solid. I hope the temps stay low and the snow starts to accumulate.

This is the Mayo lake boat launch at the culvert (between Middle and Gin).

[attachment=277250:Christmas2006_034e.JPG]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Doobee and Tinker....

Are you familiar with the trails (if any) to the south of Otter lake? Between the channel from Weslemkoon and the walking trail up to Mink lake.

My neighbour and I are trying to bushwack a trail back from our places so we have a way in if the lake ice is iffy. Good progress was made until the tornadoes hit! It took the fall to clear what was started.

thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Was up in that area today (Friday Dec. 29). Madoc area has nothing. Some of the valleys in the Hastings Highlands where full of snow, but not enough on average. You could probably take your machine on logging roads with natural earth base, but if gravel, definately not. I think Saturday sounds good, but my wife and I are taking the ATV instead.

2005 Winter - warmest on record
2006 December - warmest on record in Ontario (not official yet)

Global Warming due to greenhouse gases - not true according to George W. Bush

·
Registered
72 Posts
i drove up from Caledon to my place in Ottawa today, and since I had a bunch of time to make the trip I took the extra scenic route and drove through the Mazinaw area.

Across 7 is totally bare. Peterborough, Norwood, Havelock etc etc all the way out have nothing. I took the old Flinton Road (just west of 7 and 37) north from highway 7 and finally hit snow just south of Flinton. The road comes out to 41 just south of Northbrook, and it's a light dusting of snow there just like pictures show. There's the same amount all the way up 41 to 132 and across 17 into Ottawa. Basically about an inch all the way across the shoulder and on people's font lawns. The bush is a little drier with all of the tree cover.

The good news is the temperatures. The nights have been getting good and cold and things are definitely starting to freeze up. The logging roads with proper drainage are nice and hard, so the snow that has fallen is sticking to them well. Another few inches (2 or 3 minimum) of snow and you'll be able to play fairly safely on the main runs. Bush tails are still far from good.

The swamps are still a bit iffy. Mazinaw Lake is still wide open, and by that logic Weselmkoon might be as well.

The smaller lakes all have a pretty good cover over them though. I was out on one of the lakes near my camp and was able to follow footprints out about 40 feet. Good dark ice the whole way. I probably could have gone further quite safely, but without an auger to gauge what I was standing on I wasn't gonna test my luck.

Driving past Denbigh Lake and Mackavoy Lake they were all frozen over. We just need some good depth to that ice now. : )

That's the report for today. Keep the pics coming boys, and let me know if anybody's heading out that way. My days off work are pretty random, so there's always a possibility for some midweek or weekend fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Doobee and Tyler, my camp is out that way. Dobbee, if you were on Mayo Lake Rd. today, I probably just missed you. I have probably driven past you many times over the years.

Awesome pictures, and it was you or me posting them, glad you did. My wife gave me shit for not bringing the camera to show her. It was just as shown. Beautiful.

Wadson Lake is not even close to being frozen. Lots of open water and cracks. Did not check out my lake yet, but should have pictures Monday.

It really sounds like tonight or at the very least, this weekend, should end the stalemate.

I would love to get together with you guys, we are all busy, but slowly we can set something up. Most of the camps in the area are on Crown Land. Unfortunately mine is on private, so I can not really say where it is as the OFSC has surrounded it with trails - I say that in total honesty.

God Bless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'm thinkin of heading over on sunday during the day. the area's supposed to get 2 inches between friday night and saturday afternoon, and that makes the logging roads a slight possibility. some of those rocks can be a bitch!

if we get the full 5 cm then i'll go. less than that and it's no dice, despite having the biggest itch ever.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doobee and Tyler, my camp is out that way. Dobbee, if you were on Mayo Lake Rd. today, I probably just missed you. I have probably driven past you many times over the years.
Awesome pictures, and it was you or me posting them, glad you did. My wife gave me shit for not bringing the camera to show her. It was just as shown. Beautiful.

Wadson Lake is not even close to being frozen. Lots of open water and cracks. Did not check out my lake yet, but should have pictures Monday.

It really sounds like tonight or at the very least, this weekend, should end the stalemate.

I would love to get together with you guys, we are all busy, but slowly we can set something up. Most of the camps in the area are on Crown Land. Unfortunately mine is on private, so I can not really say where it is as the OFSC has surrounded it with trails - I say that in total honesty.

God Bless.[/b]
I wasn't out today, came home last night figuring there was no hope of enough snow for the weekend. Been up there since before Christmas just waiting....... The Mayo Lake Rd. is probably the trail I frequent the most, we're bound to cross paths there eventually.

Here's where I'm at (red dot below MM) every weekend and more in the winter. It would be great to meet some local riders, PM me anytime.

[attachment=277440:my_place.JPG]

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I wasn't out today, came home last night figuring there was no hope of enough snow for the weekend. Been up there since before Christmas just waiting....... The Mayo Lake Rd. is probably the trail I frequent the most, we're bound to cross paths there eventually.

Here's where I'm at (red dot below MM) every weekend and more in the winter. It would be great to meet some local riders, PM me anytime.

[attachment=277440:my_place.JPG][/b]
Love those trails. I ride often out of Apsley up to McArthurs Mills and around. :div20:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hey Doobee and Tinker....

Are you familiar with the trails (if any) to the south of Otter lake? Between the channel from Weslemkoon and the walking trail up to Mink lake.

My neighbour and I are trying to bushwack a trail back from our places so we have a way in if the lake ice is iffy. Good progress was made until the tornadoes hit! It took the fall to clear what was started.
thanks![/b]
I'm 2 bays down from Squaw Point in Sundy cove with the bid shoal in the middle. I've got no way in from the 101 yet... but I sure would like the time to figure it out. This may turn out to be the winter for bushwackin. There's supposed to be a trail from the Mink lk trail in Otter lk to Pike's Peak but I've never been there. The Mink Lk trail off Otter lk, right east of the narrows, is the trail we used to take to Sun & Sands, now the Moosehorn on 41. 4 hrs there, 4 hrs back, ahhh... the good ole days. Now it's 35 mins...

4 days of Jello and pudding, 2 days of Kraft Dinner and finally some real food last night after the "Nissen Fundoplication". Surgery went perfect, (no biopsy's) but I gotto admit, it frigin hurt for the first 36 hours. Not worth the morphine experiment, maybe it's better when you not actually in pain. Anyways, things are comin 'round, I'm startin to wrench again and should be ready for a tour in a week. Or a bushwack around the lake !!! (Subtle hint)

PM me anytime

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts