Hardcore Sledder banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
some of the comments just prove how out of touch the older generation is with things, and just the general attitude towards "younger" riders.

What's funny and odd is you never read about how there are hundreds and thousands of young kids that ride well, ride to the letter of the law, follow the rules, are respectful and do their part.

The older generation just wants to talk about "how hard they worked" to get trails, well I got news for you, there are a lot of younger riders, knocking on doors to get permission, talking to land owners and getting online to fix reputations about clubs and other snowmobilers as a whole.

Seems to me a lot of older guys want to hyper focus on a small percentage of people that break the rules when riding and take to the PC's and interwebs to voice their displeasure instead of doing it at the local VFW for a Friday night fish fry.

I see more "younger" kids driving groomers then I do "old timers"...........once again this is a group effort, an entire community there are people that break laws and do stupid stuff with every outdoor activity and hobby, and read those forums if you get a chance, it's not nearly as toxic as the people who come here to complain about cans back packs shovels, and one piece suits.

Stop hyper focusing on young kids, and blaming them, talk to them and teach them, be kind to the younger crowd, if your a raging dick to the younger crowd they will just stop riding and for good reason too.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
some of the comments just prove how out of touch the older generation is with things, and just the general attitude towards "younger" riders.

What's funny and odd is you never read about how there are hundreds and thousands of young kids that ride well, ride to the letter of the law, follow the rules, are respectful and do their part.

The older generation just wants to talk about "how hard they worked" to get trails, well I got news for you, there are a lot of younger riders, knocking on doors to get permission, talking to land owners and getting online to fix reputations about clubs and other snowmobilers as a whole.

Seems to me a lot of older guys want to hyper focus on a small percentage of people that break the rules when riding and take to the PC's and interwebs to voice their displeasure instead of doing it at the local VFW for a Friday night fish fry.

I see more "younger" kids driving groomers then I do "old timers"...........once again this is a group effort, an entire community there are people that break laws and do stupid stuff with every outdoor activity and hobby, and read those forums if you get a chance, it's not nearly as toxic as the people who come here to complain about cans back packs shovels, and one piece suits.

Stop hyper focusing on young kids, and blaming them, talk to them and teach them, be kind to the younger crowd, if your a raging dick to the younger crowd they will just stop riding and for good reason too.
well I'd love top know where you get your stat's from
as the highest percentage of snowmobiles are NOT young guys , as a fact the sport is actually slowing down on NEW younger riders getting into the sport!
so, there are just far fewer YOUNG riders out there now than ever! and to think there are MORE young riders involved in the trail systems and clubs is a far from true in about every club I know of!
SO< when you want to post about something, maybe you need to look outside of maybe YOUR club
as I know of NO YOUNG groomer operators in any of my local clubs, heck I don; think there are any groomer operators in any under the age of 60 and been that way for a LONG time
US OLDER GUYS< are NOT "hyper focused "on a small percentage, the facts are the highest percentage of riders are OLDER Folks
its a small percentage of young riders on the trails, and only a SMALL part of them volunteer and do trail work and ask for permission and the likes
STOP in and talk to folks that run clubs, and hear the REAL facts on what generation is doing work and what isn't!

I am NOT bashing young riders either, its just a FACT< there are fewer of them out there, so its IMPOSSIBLE for there to be more of them doing the good things than the older riders! like it or not, that's just MATH!

the goal of ALL riders old or new should be to help keep this sport alive and doing our FAIR share of helping and setting GOOD examples of what snowmobile riders are!
SO future land owners will see, as a group were more good egg's than bad one's!

·
Registered
47,343 Posts

Younger riders? Their far and few between here. Its mostly the 40 year olds, and up i see when i'm out there. Seems the only youngsters i've seen have parents belonging to a club where their more prone to being involved with the sport. 99% of the rest of the young generation has no interest. As far as groomer operators, the ones i've met out there on the trails look as old as i am, and hoping for some young blood to get involved.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not doubting there are some “ younger” dedicated people in the sport and I’m glad to see it for sure but....
I ride and cover a pretty large area in several county’s in the UP of Michigan and know of there operation with grooming and trail maintenance . Have to tell ya it’s 90% old folks that keep it rolling. It’s work and it’s hard to sell it to the latest generation. Trail signature and trail clean up in spring and fall brings some youngsters for the day but that’s all I see. Me and a friend are committed adopt a trail volunteers at our cabins and clean WAY beyond our assigned area. We do involve some teens to try and get a understanding it takes more to just enjoying the trails on the 4wheeler and sleds. Will the carry it on?.. I’m not seeing it.

·
Registered
800 Posts

You are in a area that must be the exception... not trying to be critical or sarcastic as I firmly believe we need the next generation ( younger) to take the baton and start running with it. In short, I have been watching and looking at the effort being put into trying to get this to happen in my state and local riding areas and it’s not happening.( I’m 45yrs solid in the sport, 60 in age) It’s been a sport like many there are few volunteers and many beneficiaries of those few... no renewal of the volunteers. The dynamics have changed as the sport is more expensive and moved its way up by far in average age due to that. Younger people are stuck in debt from the cost of education on top of that and won’t see the sport be a priority until financially more stable and making money to afford one.... lots of factors overall in a changing mess up world. But I will say it’s rare to see a young person jump up and want to invest, work and get involved properly.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I would gather that if we took a survey on this site, as to how many members here actually did trail work last yr BEFORE the snow fell,. the amount of members that HAVE as to have NOT would be shocking, and I would Gather , that if ages of them that did < , very few would be under the age of 40!
NO bash here just being honest!
I know in the past decade or so, of me doing trail work, as an example, MAYBE, 3 times MAX 4 times in the DECADE!, past 10 yrs!
when there were volunteers that showed up under the age of 40, NOT counting the RARE occasion when a member would show up with a few kids, under the age of 10 to more or less just go for the ride in a SXS or ATV, and just eat trail side meal!, more of a taking there kids for a ride, deal!
there was WAY more folks OVER the age of 60 to be honest than any younger!

YET first snow of the season, the first folks on the trails at local BARS and stops, would always be the younger one's!
reaping the rewards of the others that did the REAL work!

Like I said, NOT trying to bash here, but it is a fact in most clubs this is the norm, not the exception

clubs consist of mostly older members! and there dying off or getting tired of being the worker bee's and trying to solve problems all the time, with little to no real new help, or even appreciation!
it why many of the OLDER folks, get so grumpy when , some jack ass does something dumb on a trail!
its like a slap in the face, its not about us being focused on ranting on the younger generation
we just want this sport to live !
and not see all the work so many older folks sunk into this sport, go down the drain!

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 21-22 mileage 500mi
4,607 Posts
What I have figured out in all my years of being involved in the club and the state organization and being Treasurer of both is that we need two types of riders.
1. Those who work and help the organizations out. State, local and National. There are people that I know who've done it all. And there is a need for members of a club to come up to the workdays and provide the help needed to make it run. I was a club member at an early stage because I wanted to help out. I moved into the club board after a while of watching and learning how it goes. I could see the need for help and that's how I made the committment to do so. Both on the club board and on the PSSA board. Help is needed by all.
2. Those who PAY the other side who do the work. Yes, all should contribute to the orgs. Just like gas taxes. No one gets to skate by. Use the trails and pay the piper in registration and gas taxes to fund it (with money back from things like the Sims trail act that started a gas refund from the Federal). And I believe those who help should get to pay something less. Like in Vermont they give out trail passes to save you a $100. That's nothing for what we spend on riding. But it's something. And IMO those who don't help directly at a club or organization should pay even more. Like 2x more. So if a state reg is $200 then a working member gets it for free. Also, free membership in a club (ours we pay $20 as a helper based on times you work at the club as documented each year).

And yes, older folks have more time available to do things but that doesn't mean younger ones don't. They can help some too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
well we have alot of young guys in our club, most are just out of high school and or in college, also the young groomer drivers have seen are in upper pennisula, as well as Northern Wisconsin area, Hurley, Pence, Iron Belt etc, as a matter of fact my buddy Greg moved to Hurley a few years ago, he's 32 and drove the groomer for the White Thunder Riders for some time. I'm not sure if he did this year or not.

You can claim "there's no young riders" all you want.......I know that's just not true. I'd like to see the old timers stop being raging pricks and dick heads though.........that would go alot further in my eyes in growing the sport.

We had a old timer in our club who told everyone at a club meeting that "facebook wasn't needed cause no one is using it".........put that into perception. We proposed a facebook page for 3 years until we finally got the needed votes to do it, everyone holding it back were old timers and they had every excuse in the book as to why we shouldn't have one, and that was something that I took as a club member, I ran the page, setup the page, created the content for the page, posted hotlines, news, trail openings closing etc.

Luckily most of the old timers have moved on and turned the club over essentially to the "next generation" and that's what we need to focus on, turning the clubs over to the younger crowd and letting them run with it.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
well we have alot of young guys in our club, most are just out of high school and or in college, also the young groomer drivers have seen are in upper pennisula, as well as Northern Wisconsin area, Hurley, Pence, Iron Belt etc, as a matter of fact my buddy Greg moved to Hurley a few years ago, he's 32 and drove the groomer for the White Thunder Riders for some time. I'm not sure if he did this year or not.

You can claim "there's no young riders" all you want.......I know that's just not true. I'd like to see the old timers stop being raging pricks and dick heads though.........that would go alot further in my eyes in growing the sport.

We had a old timer in our club who told everyone at a club meeting that "facebook wasn't needed cause no one is using it".........put that into perception. We proposed a facebook page for 3 years until we finally got the needed votes to do it, everyone holding it back were old timers and they had every excuse in the book as to why we shouldn't have one, and that was something that I took as a club member, I ran the page, setup the page, created the content for the page, posted hotlines, news, trail openings closing etc.

Luckily most of the old timers have moved on and turned the club over essentially to the "next generation" and that's what we need to focus on, turning the clubs over to the younger crowd and letting them run with it.
first off NO one said there are NO young rider,
so this is a bad claim on your side!
as everyone know's there are many young riders out there for sure!
the real issue is the young riders are NOT really getting involved in clubs, or the work to keep trails up and running ALL season and for yrs to come!

as I stated, if you looked at any survey of the AGE of snowmobiler's
you will find the mass amount are folks over the age of 40! NOT under
SO< as much a s you may have younger members in your club,. its NOT the normal situation in most all other clubs
I agree the game should be for older members to hand things over to younger one's but what do you do when there are NO younger one's??
as again this is the more common problem with most clubs, LACK of young members!

Name calling is never good, be it older folks calling younger riders ?? or younger riders calling older one names??
its pointless and just makes for more problems than it solves!

as for needing face book or the likes??
older folks that don;t maybe use it, felt they could do without it, but there is no doubt times change and as such, so do the ways information gets out, and for any club to stay viable, they have to change with the times.
BUT if you again have a club full of almost ALL older members, your going to have a harder time getting changes the majority of members DON"T want.
which sort of sounds like what you had going on there!

which also, tends to show again, that MOST clubs have more OLDER members than younger one's! which sort of says the opposite of your claim, your club having so many "YOUNGER" members!
as if you really had more younger members than older one's
the votes would have gone to getting on face book sooner no??
again, I am not bashing anyone here
it just again shows the truth that MOST clubs are made up of older members, due to the FACT so FEW younger members are getting involved in the clubs and the work it takes to MAKE trails happen year after yr!
and this is NOT something I am happy about either, we NEED younger riders to get involved, but the numbers are what they are, and the future looks bad in many clubs due to this!

·
Registered
800 Posts

WOW...🤡

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
Many parents are strapped for cash these days, and don't bring their kids up to get involved with sleds, plus when their kids have grown up they just can't afford it. Unless a wealthy family, or their grown up kids have great jobs with extra income to spend on sleds, i can't see this sport booming anytime soon around here. I've spoken to club members at times, their always looking for more members to do trail work, claiming its the same bunch that always do all the work. Some of these guys are up in age, and don't know how much longer they can go on.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

When I was younger it was the same bs.The older guys in the club didnt take anybody younger seriously so my buddy and I that would have been willing to do stuff quit the local club for many years.They literally laughed that we wanted to learn to drive the groomer.Fast forward a few years then they didnt want to do it anymore and there was nobody to do it.Im sure your older club members acted the same way.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
first off NO one said there are NO young rider,
so this is a bad claim on your side!
as everyone know's there are many young riders out there for sure!
the real issue is the young riders are NOT really getting involved in clubs, or the work to keep trails up and running ALL season and for yrs to come!

as I stated, if you looked at any survey of the AGE of snowmobiler's
you will find the mass amount are folks over the age of 40! NOT under
SO< as much a s you may have younger members in your club,. its NOT the normal situation in most all other clubs
I agree the game should be for older members to hand things over to younger one's but what do you do when there are NO younger one's??
as again this is the more common problem with most clubs, LACK of young members!

Name calling is never good, be it older folks calling younger riders ?? or younger riders calling older one names??
its pointless and just makes for more problems than it solves!

as for needing face book or the likes??
older folks that don;t maybe use it, felt they could do without it, but there is no doubt times change and as such, so do the ways information gets out, and for any club to stay viable, they have to change with the times.
BUT if you again have a club full of almost ALL older members, your going to have a harder time getting changes the majority of members DON"T want.
which sort of sounds like what you had going on there!

which also, tends to show again, that MOST clubs have more OLDER members than younger one's! which sort of says the opposite of your claim, your club having so many "YOUNGER" members!
as if you really had more younger members than older one's
the votes would have gone to getting on face book sooner no??
again, I am not bashing anyone here
it just again shows the truth that MOST clubs are made up of older members, due to the FACT so FEW younger members are getting involved in the clubs and the work it takes to MAKE trails happen year after yr!
and this is NOT something I am happy about either, we NEED younger riders to get involved, but the numbers are what they are, and the future looks bad in many clubs due to this!
The problem for many clubs has been that the older club members failed to really take younger members seriously for years.When I was in my younger 20s I would have been the guy out wrenching on broken stuff at the groomer barn but they literally didnt want the help.I figured oh well more time at home to work on racecars and sleds so they could just f. off
I wonder how many clubs did the same thing and put themselves in the position they are in now.

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
Getting back to these bad news bears, my neighbor the bird lady just had a major encounter with the 3 black bear cubs now 3 years old, and much bigger, and bolder. They really tore up her yard leaving a wake of destroyed bird feeders, and her household trash all over her back yard. I just ran over with my air horn to drive them off which didn't phase them. These bears are bold. Instead they started coming toward me. Yelled to the wife to grab my wrist rocket sling shot, and bag of marbles. It worked, you should seen how fast they took off up a bunch of trees when i started pelting their ass with them.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The problem for many clubs has been that the older club members failed to really take younger members seriously for years.When I was in my younger 20s I would have been the guy out wrenching on broken stuff at the groomer barn but they literally didnt want the help.I figured oh well more time at home to work on racecars and sleds so they could just f. off
I wonder how many clubs did the same thing and put themselves in the position they are in now.
I can agree with this to a point
as I too for yrs and yrs when younger tried to get into the running the groomer and offering my time to do work, and the older main guys just didn;t want anyone touching there things but them, nor would they even call on me to do trail work, as I THINK< they felt if I was about a lot, they might end up loosing some of there status on being in charge or??

BUT like it or not, the younger generation HAS to pick up the torch and get involved, , as without them doing so, the trails will fall apart as time passes and them older one's die off or retire from the sport
the point being if anyone wants this sport to continue, they NEED to get off there asses and get involved, even if it means getting some shit in the beginning
as if we all just say F it
this sport is doomed
Older folks come from a different generation where respect is EARNED not just given freely
a lot of things older folks do are TESTS to see if a person is actually making a real effort or just being a tire kicker, here today GONE tomorrow, or lots of talk but no real action type!
and trust me a there are a LOT of these types of all ages
but when clubs are run by older folks
younger one's have to adjust to THEM NOT the other way around, as in order to hand the torch over, they got to be there and respected to do so!

if you or anyone really loves this sport
outing up with a little BS for a while isn;t a BAD thing, if some day YOU can run things no??

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Getting back to these bad news bears, my neighbor the bird lady just had a major encounter with the 3 black bear cubs now 3 years old, and much bigger, and bolder. They really tore up her yard leaving a wake of destroyed bird feeders, and her household trash all over her back yard. I just ran over with my air horn to drive them off which didn't phase them. These bears are bold. Instead they started coming toward me. Yelled to the wife to grab my wrist rocket sling shot, and bag of marbles. It worked, you should seen how fast they took off up a bunch of trees when i started pelting their ass with them.
this time of yr there isn;t much real food for bears, so bird feeders are magnets for them now, and a hungry bear that is used to people/human contact, isn;t going to leave food easy this time of yr!
I am not really a FAN of shooting at bears with things like Marbles,
as a fact it could en against the law in many places, but we all do what we need to

I used to know several folks that bought paint ball guns for reasons like this, to help HUMM< TRAIN wildlife to look else where for meals!
just be prepared as there could always be that one that wants to FIGHT after a hit, they don;t always run away, seen this too!
as they say poke enough bee's nest and sooner or later you get bit!
only a bear can do a little more than sting you , HAHA!

I'm up to 5 different bears here this yr, but no cubs and NO females at all to be honest all males, looking for females, as mating season for bears is soon to start!

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
this time of yr there isn;t much real food for bears, so bird feeders are magnets for them now, and a hungry bear that is used to people/human contact, isn;t going to leave food easy this time of yr!
I am not really a FAN of shooting at bears with things like Marbles,
as a fact it could en against the law in many places, but we all do what we need to

I used to know several folks that bought paint ball guns for reasons like this, to help HUMM< TRAIN wildlife to look else where for meals!
just be prepared as there could always be that one that wants to FIGHT after a hit, they don;t always run away, seen this too!
as they say poke enough bee's nest and sooner or later you get bit!
only a bear can do a little more than sting you , HAHA!

I'm up to 5 different bears here this yr, but no cubs and NO females at all to be honest all males, looking for females, as mating season for bears is soon to start!
Well i tried with the air horn, but these nearly full grown cubs kept coming toward me, like i was expected to hand feed them which i figure i'd be their dinner. I've never seen black bears so bold as them....curious, but not like this. The dog next door on the other side of my lot was going nuts running back, and forth at the bears creating a bigger scene. I just thought to solve this whole fiasco with a sling shot, and some marbles which i'm sure didn't cause the bears no worse for wear. They ran back in the woods up a tree, that was it. Don't anyone say a 200 lb bear can't climb, and fast. I felt they got the message that they weren't welcome destroying property, and making a mess.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I was younger it was the same bs.The older guys in the club didnt take anybody younger seriously so my buddy and I that would have been willing to do stuff quit the local club for many years.They literally laughed that we wanted to learn to drive the groomer.Fast forward a few years then they didnt want to do it anymore and there was nobody to do it.Im sure your older club members acted the same way.
that is 100% correct, the older members think that the younger kids are a "joke" and the older members want nothing to do with promotion of the club, or the sport, think that social media is useless, and the best quote ever this year came from an old timer who said "calling the snow hotline should be the only way to get trail conditions" it's just sheer ignorance plain and simple. attitudes and comments like that drive the younger generation away and rightfully so.

There's a reason why I'm not in my local club anymore and that I'm managing the social media page for a club 40 miles away.

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
that is 100% correct, the older members think that the younger kids are a "joke" and the older members want nothing to do with promotion of the club, or the sport, think that social media is useless, and the best quote ever this year came from an old timer who said "calling the snow hotline should be the only way to get trail conditions" it's just sheer ignorance plain and simple. attitudes and comments like that drive the younger generation away and rightfully so.

There's a reason why I'm not in my local club anymore and that I'm managing the social media page for a club 40 miles away.
Thats total bs with many older club members here. Their trying to go out of their way to get the younger generation involved in this sport so they can take over the reins. Problem is their just isn't enough young blood to do it. These kids are involved in so many other outside activities that don't require that kind of money.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

its attitudes like this , that is also why, there are few younger folks in clubs, they get frustrated and give up, which solves NOTHING and will be the end of this sport!
way too easy to give up and not help or be part of sorting, than stick it out and earn some respect and show that you mean business and not just blabbing words on a screen!
you might run the social media, but what else do you offer the club?
clubs existed LONG before there was internet you know> and to all them OLD members, they know this and know trails wouldn;t be here today without them and they MAYBE feel they deserve some credit for that, and that new folks with all the modern social media ??? maybe need to know there is way more to keeping trails open, than having a social media page!
as for trail conditions, yes its nice to have them on social media, but its also a double edged sword, because what also happens anymore is this, folks that ride trails, ONLY come about when conditions are good, they check conditions and if not good bail, never show up for anything else, t
MANY NOT ALL< t hey use the trails but never give anything into them!(double edge sword) due to this modern age of social media.
where yrs back before it, many showed up, and if nothing else helps boost local economy's and shops that actually SUPPORT clubs.
were loosing this with a lot of social media INSTANT trail conditions reports, so, again great and BAD at the same time!
there has to be more to things than social media for trails to have a future!

as who will run the clubs, do all that is needed to keep them going?
the trails will not stay open on there own, someone has to do the REAL work, the physical work to keep them going!
not being a active m,ember is the problem when you compare HOW many folks use the trails as to how many actually do any work on them!
its a sad future for trails , if younger folks don't get involved and continue things
even if having to deal with some crap in the beginning, over time, it can be them that determine the future of things! every generation has there own ways, like it or not thats a fact,
and for things to keep going strong, sometimes you have to take some crap in life for things to get better and continue growing,
I agree it works both ways, some older members sure need to tone down , but, these same OLDER members are retiring from the clubs, they will not be there forever, and someone needs to take there spot.
seniority comes from time, its not just given, same as respect! its earned!.
stop blaming older members , grow some thicker skin and help your club or another club stay viable, or maybe you won;t have trails to ride some day!

81 - 100 of 101 Posts