Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,865 Posts
Back to the original Thread Topic. Ironically the post of the Rumford Polar Bears club is where I own a camp and do a majority of my riding. The field that was driven through is heavily signed out saying "STAY ON TRAIL" because the club has been well aware that the land owner wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of keeping the trail routed through their property. I believe they were new owners of the property a couple years ago and before discussions wanted the trail re-routed. Luckily the club and the owner came to an agreement to keep the trail there. so given the known facts the club signed this area heavily. Like literally a sign every 50' or so. Why this moron decided to drive through is beyond me?? Come to find out someone got a description of the sled and it was located by a buddy of mine whom tracked the guy down and then turned the info in as to where to find this guy to the Club trail master. He was a local to the area which is shocking to me and the club paid the guy a visit. No charges were given but a strong conversation with him was had and the warning was put out there that if he is ever caught doing something like this again the club would without question be showing up with the fish cops to press charges. There's the inside scoop.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Then or now...we all knew right from wrong...many most of us pushed the envelope hard then and next gen is doing it now...its not complicated..my buddy has called the cops several times on kids hanging at the end of his undeveloped cul-de-sac partying....im like dude that was us and you're the old angry guy we hated..he knows..not for second defending fucking up our trails by trespassing on the folks prop that make our sport awesome and possible, just providing some levity..carry on....cheers..

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
I never minded the neighborhood kids hanging out on my dock. Long as they pick up their trash, its all good. I figure as long as their fishing, or just hanging out, their staying out of trouble.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I never minded the neighborhood kids hanging out on my dock. Long as they pick up their trash, its all good. I figure as long as their fishing, or just hanging out, their staying out of trouble.
Then or now...we all knew right from wrong...many most of us pushed the envelope hard then and next gen is doing it now...its not complicated..my buddy has called the cops several times on kids hanging at the end of his undeveloped cul-de-sac partying....im like dude that was us and you're the old angry guy we hated..he knows..not for second defending fucking up our trails by trespassing on the folks prop that make our sport awesome and possible, just providing some levity..carry on....cheers..
I agree 100% on this, but the problem now is back then if something happen we hopefully would accept responsibility or our parents would handle the situation (punishment), now a days it's someone else's fault and quick call Lee Free (lawyer). A couple of things that I feel now that were lost somewhere along the lines is common sense and respect.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have to dis agree some here, as the info on what is socially accepted now as compared to back then is totally different

did we know right from wrong back then YES
but again, riding on private land was almost socially acceptable back then, after all our parents knew where we rode, the local police even knew, and didn;t bother us , unless they got a more or less official order to do so! or had a serious dis like of MX bikes or such
other wise they turned a blind eye on things, cause again , it was the normal thing to do and the places w rode were off the beaten path, on lands, that most land owners didn;t care we rode on! or not untill there were law suits against them or they got fines for folks dumping trash, AFTER that stuff happened,
I would agree it was more like modern times MAYBE

NOW Alsokeep in mind, there were no designated trails to ride on, or one's to get closed if we didn't follow the rules riding them
SO< IMO< its not exactly apples to apples or to try and say
just RIGHT AND WRONG and we knew we were doing wrong
to be completely honest when I very first started riding dirt bikes, be them petal powered or motored one's
I had NO clue I was doing anything WRONG riding where I did, as my parents and all my friends parents TOLD us where to ride, they TOLD us to go ride here or there
so, I had NO clue I was doing anything wrong
Parents I gather they knew it was private lands, I cannot say or not if they ever asked the land owners if we could ride there, odds are NO they they didn't (a guess on my part here)
BUT the facts there were tons of people kids and adults riding these places, out parents also felt it was just OK and allowed,
COPS again didn;t enforce anything< land owners were not putting signs up and complaining!
and I honestly had NO clue what I was doing was WRONG!
so right and wrong??
it is and was NOT like today's world
where , riding where your NOT allowed to is, posted saying so with signs, gates , or thru info provided thru many ways, including social media
the negative results of doing so was never broadcast-ed like they are today either
SO< riding where one doesn;'t belong now a days, when info is so easy to get and find, and there are so many LEGAL places to ride that have RULES to follow and known consequences if not!
its not the same, times have changed in many ways!
IMO< many far from the better!
I will fully agree that there will always be some grumpy folks that will complain no matter what and many of these folks are folks that did all sorts of the things there complaining about!
I have neighbors that all there kids rode MX bikes up and down the roads here, thru folks property, and never asked, now these people are old and there kids built homes on same road, they are always calling the cops on others kids doing what they did
ME< I say BS on that
the kids ain;'t hurting anyone, and doing what several generations of kids did here and they know it, hell they did it,
I don;t get folks like them,don't throw rocks when you live in glass houses I say!! LOL

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree 100% on this, but the problem now is back then if something happen we hopefully would accept responsibility or our parents would handle the situation (punishment), now a days it's someone else's fault and quick call Lee Free (lawyer). A couple of things that I feel now that were lost somewhere along the lines is common sense and respect.
Fair enough..with very few exceptions you are spot on!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have to dis agree some here, as the info on what is socially accepted now as compared to back then is totally different

but again, riding on private land was almost socially acceptable back then, after all our parents knew where we rode, the local police even knew, and didn;t bother us , unless they got a more or less official order to do so! or had a serious dis like of MX bikes or such
other wise they turned a blind eye on things, cause again , it was the normal thing to do and the places w rode were off the beaten path, on lands, that most land owners didn;t care we rode on! or not untill there were law suits against them or they got fines for folks dumping trash, AFTER that stuff happened,

NOW Alsokeep in mind, there were no designated trails to ride on, or one's to get closed if we didn't follow the rules riding them
to be completely honest when I very first started riding dirt bikes, be them petal powered or motored one's
I had NO clue I was doing anything WRONG riding where I did, as my parents and all my friends parents TOLD us where to ride, they TOLD us to go ride here or there
Parents I gather they knew it was private lands, I cannot say or not if they ever asked the land owners if we could ride there, odds are NO they they didn't (a guess on my part here)
BUT the facts there were tons of people kids and adults riding these places, out parents also felt it was just OK and allowed,
COPS again didn;t enforce anything< land owners were not putting signs up and complaining!
so right and wrong??
where , riding where your NOT allowed to is, posted saying so with signs, gates , or thru info provided thru many ways, including social media
the negative results of doing so was never broadcast-ed like they are today either
SO< riding where one doesn;'t belong now a days, when info is so easy to get and find, and there are so many LEGAL places to ride that have RULES to follow and known consequences if not!
I will fully agree that there will always be some grumpy folks that will complain no matter what and many of these folks are folks that did all sorts of the things there complaining about!
I have neighbors that all there kids rode MX bikes up and down the roads here, thru folks property, and never asked, now these people are old and there kids built homes on same road, they are always calling the cops on others kids doing what they did
ME< I say BS on that
the kids ain;'t hurting anyone, and doing what several generations of kids did here and they know it, hell they did it,
I don;t get folks like them,don't throw rocks when you live in glass houses I say!! LOL
Good points...let's call us both right lol...I took my YZ250 many places I knew I shouldn't have been... posted or not...I didn't give a single shit, would I have gotten my kicked at home if caught..lol..again I knew what I was doing was wrong, but my brain at the time said no harm no foul..im sure the off trail guys going where they know they shouldn't be are thinking the same..what could it hurt?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Good points...let's call us both right lol...I took my YZ250 many places I knew I shouldn't have been... posted or not...I didn't give a single shit, would I have gotten my kicked at home if caught..lol..again I knew what I was doing was wrong, but my brain at the time said no harm no foul..im sure the off trail guys going where they know they shouldn't be are thinking the same..what could it hurt?
well try this then LOL
back then and I'll say 70's80's IF someone like you and no bash here, got caught riding where they didn;t belong
odds are, you MAYBE got a fine, IF that, most times the police would inform your parents , (which back in my day was worse them anything the cops would dish out, hell you were safe while the cops were there it was when they left the crap hit the fan LOL) RIGHT?

where as NOW a days if you get caught riding some pl;ace you shouldn;t, you might get a whole trail system closed

there is a difference NO?
yes your parents might still be told, (but doubt in today's world parents did what they did back then as to now ) or you might still get a fine!
but back yrs before trail systems really existed in MANY places (not all as I admit some states have had them a LONG time) BUT in most places yrs back, if you DID get caught the results didn;t effect things the same as they do now
between social media , blasting you for what you did, or even heck, folks today BRAGGING what they did by showing video's of it(which in my opinion t can have others to do what you did, if they want attention or fame be it positive or negative, lets face it, people today are way more into wanting/needing attention now than ever
in FACT< things today folks cannot wait to post on social media or show on youtube, many of MY generation, would have been embarrassed and would NOT want things shown to the world, yet today's generation so free shares and even promotes, and worse IMO< gets the fame and fortune of doing things both negative and possessive or just doing NOTHING, that everyone gets a trophy mentality or LOOK AT ME , attention so many seem to need!

SO again, times have changed in many ways
so you cannot compare the old to the new

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
@mrbb just noticed we registered on here about 2 weeks apart...way back...lol..
actually I joined here long before, but lost my info and rejoined again afterwards
but NOT sure what that has to do with WAY BACK or not, as one's joining a site has nothing to do with there age or understanding of changes in time no??

·
Registered
401 Posts
actually I joined here long before, but lost my info and rejoined again afterwards
but NOT sure what that has to do with WAY BACK or not, as one's joining a site has nothing to do with there age or understanding of changes in time no??
Dude, it was just a fun observation thats all, calm down man, its just the internet...I was enjoying the back and forth...im done here, you're in charge...geez

·
Registered
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4 Door
183 Posts
Ok, Back to the original thread JMAXDOX started. Trespassing is wrong, filling threw yards, fields, driveways. Is not ok. We have al! have possible done it to some extent. But with these very nice land owners nowadays...it just can't happen any more and to put a kind words out to the guy doing it if he gets seen means a lot.. To the land owners.. And that's just On a snowmobile aspect of it.....
Have a great day !

·
Registered
47,343 Posts

so right and wrong??
ME< I say BS on that
About the parents telling us where to ride, they never did....and we never told them where we were riding, but we all knew it was wrong riding on private land without permission, but did it anyways. Once the cops were after us from too many complaints, we just found another place. It got pretty bad till one of the local bike shop mechanics asked me to come ride a sand course they used for moto practice. Here i was on an mx175 putting some older riders to shame. Next thing i knew i was invited to race some organized motocross as a novice. From that point on i rarely rode with my friends while staying out of trouble.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
About the parents telling us where to ride, they never did....and we never told them where we were riding, but we all knew it was wrong riding on private land without permission, but did it anyways. Once the cops were after us from too many complaints, we just found another place. It got pretty bad till one of the local bike shop mechanics asked me to come ride a sand course they used for moto practice. Here i was on an mx175 putting some older riders to shame. Next thing i knew i was invited to race some organized motocross as a novice. From that point on i rarely rode with my friends while staying out of trouble.
well maybe we grew up differently
but I know when I got my first bike,petal powered, after I mastered driving it in the drive way, that is, MY parents DID tell me where to ride to be SAFE and not get hit by cars or??
they sent me to places they seen others riding at, it wasn't a mystery to my parents or those of all the others riding there where we rode
a s we got OLDER< yes, we maybe went places parents didn;t know of or about and we made the call if we should be there or not
but even them places were not, NOT known by our parents, bikes were rather loud and sound carried, folks KNEW where we were riding at,
did we at times know we shroud;t be there Hell yeah we did, at some point am sure!
but the early yrs, we went were we were told it was OK< even if wasn;t, ! or I sure was again!

Meaning patents really didn;t own the lands, or have LEGAL permission for us to ride there, it was just property, owners DIDN"T complain about!
so was taken for granted it was OK!
and again, IF or when we DID get in trouble for riding some place, we were the one/ones that got into trouble
we didn;t cause the whole trail system to suffer, so consequences were sure different than today on that aspect!
and I owned many so called enduro bikes
in the 175 CC sizes, from the old IT, PE, Kdx, series(also had the same in larger sizes 250400/420-475/500")
I always preferred these types of bikes for hare scrambles and like races over MX bred bikes, the slightly longer wheel base and rake, seemed to allow them to run better th the woods to me!
plus I also rode a lot at night so having headlights helped there coming from the factory with them !

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
well maybe we grew up differently
but I know when I got my first bike,petal powered, after I mastered driving it in the drive way, that is, MY parents DID tell me where to ride to be SAFE and not get hit by cars or??
they sent me to places they seen others riding at, it wasn't a mystery to my parents or those of all the others riding there where we rode
a s we got OLDER< yes, we maybe went places parents didn;t know of or about and we made the call if we should be there or not
but even them places were not, NOT known by our parents, bikes were rather loud and sound carried, folks KNEW where we were riding at,
did we at times know we shroud;t be there Hell yeah we did, at some point am sure!
but the early yrs, we went were we were told it was OK< even if wasn;t, ! or I sure was again!

Meaning patents really didn;t own the lands, or have LEGAL permission for us to ride there, it was just property, owners DIDN"T complain about!
so was taken for granted it was OK!
and again, IF or when we DID get in trouble for riding some place, we were the one/ones that got into trouble
we didn;t cause the whole trail system to suffer, so consequences were sure different than today on that aspect!
and I owned many so called enduro bikes
in the 175 CC sizes, from the old IT, PE, Kdx, series(also had the same in larger sizes 250400/420-475/500")
I always preferred these types of bikes for hare scrambles and like races over MX bred bikes, the slightly longer wheel base and rake, seemed to allow them to run better th the woods to me!
plus I also rode a lot at night so having headlights helped there coming from the factory with them !
The stuff we did when we were kids its amazing we weren't regulars at juvenile court. We built some crazy mini bikes, and go carts racing each other on the town streets. Every time we'd see a cop coming for us we'd ditched our machines in someones back yard. Our parents worked for the most part, we never told them what we did all day. I could remember my mother once telling me the cops came to her door one late afternoon asking to see the go cart. They wanted to see if the engine was still warm. Lucky for me i only had a mini bike at the time that i had blown up the motor....it hadn't been run for a few days.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The stuff we did when we were kids its amazing we weren't regulars at juvenile court. We built some crazy mini bikes, and go carts racing each other on the town streets. Every time we'd see a cop coming for us we'd ditched our machines in someones back yard. Our parents worked for the most part, we never told them what we did all day. I could remember my mother once telling me the cops came to her door one late afternoon asking to see the go cart. They wanted to see if the engine was still warm. Lucky for me i only had a mini bike at the time that i had blown up the motor....it hadn't been run for a few days.
I fully agree its totally different times now, and I am so glad I grew up when I did, I actually feel bad in some ways for kids today

I can recall when me and my friends were about 12-13 yrs old, there was a semi clear wooded lot close to our houses, NO posted signs back then
so, we just took it upon ourselves to go clear the land, we built us a pretty big MX/BMX track, we only had shovels and picks and rakes, we worked at that track from sun up till dark for weeks building it, we even used to say, HUMM< BORROW<things from local building sites, from sheets of plywood, to?? we used a lot of wood pallets to help build bottom layers for table tops and jumps
it was right on the side of a main road too, there was NO hiding what we did ,
folks would stop and ask us what were doing COPS included, some even would say, WOW< nice to see kids working so hard, or even drop off things to drink!

but we never had permission to do that stuff, ALL our parents knew it, locals knew it and it was all fine with them;' till a few YEARS of us racing things there, then as the neighbor hood expanded and houses got built near it, folks complained and then some day a bull dozer showed up and that was that

in modern time,s if kids did that, I couldn;t imagine the troubles that would cause!
but again, I'd gather in today's world, it would be rather well know before things got far, with social media posting everyone every single thing they do! the cops, lawyers, locals, folks far away, would be up in arms,
then fines and blah blah would be over it all!

OH so glad I grew up when I did HAHA!

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,865 Posts
Back in the day it was taboo to call the cops. In my opinion it still is today. I deal with shit myself and somebody better be bleeding out before I call the cops. I deal with people myself and in a respectful way first is always the golden rule. If disrespected the tension raises from there but in most cases that doesn't happen when we try RESPECTING each other before resorting to Asshole mode. Not afraid to go there if I have to BUT all the bases need to done on my own before I'll ever call the cops. I know it's bad to ever say anything bad about police nowadays but luckily so far I've ever needed them. As a kid in my neighborhood which surrounded a small but decent size lake "1 mile across" we as kids were all over it, everywhere. Most homeowners let us do our shit without any issues. We didn't vandalize or trash anything but we commonly used everybody's property. Some people didn't like it and I get that. They told us what they had to say and we did our best to respect that even though as kids we would talk to our buddies about what dick's they were. Haha... Times have changed and so have people. I feel there is MUCH LESS RESPECT today.

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
I fully agree its totally different times now, and I am so glad I grew up when I did, I actually feel bad in some ways for kids today

I can recall when me and my friends were about 12-13 yrs old, there was a semi clear wooded lot close to our houses, NO posted signs back then
so, we just took it upon ourselves to go clear the land, we built us a pretty big MX/BMX track, we only had shovels and picks and rakes, we worked at that track from sun up till dark for weeks building it, we even used to say, HUMM< BORROW<things from local building sites, from sheets of plywood, to?? we used a lot of wood pallets to help build bottom layers for table tops and jumps
it was right on the side of a main road too, there was NO hiding what we did ,
folks would stop and ask us what were doing COPS included, some even would say, WOW< nice to see kids working so hard, or even drop off things to drink!

but we never had permission to do that stuff, ALL our parents knew it, locals knew it and it was all fine with them;' till a few YEARS of us racing things there, then as the neighbor hood expanded and houses got built near it, folks complained and then some day a bull dozer showed up and that was that

in modern time,s if kids did that, I couldn;t imagine the troubles that would cause!
but again, I'd gather in today's world, it would be rather well know before things got far, with social media posting everyone every single thing they do! the cops, lawyers, locals, folks far away, would be up in arms,
then fines and blah blah would be over it all!

OH so glad I grew up when I did HAHA!
Idk about today...some of these kids find a car to steal and go for a joy with it till its out of gas then dump it on some obscure dirt road. Cop never catch them, or for that matter really want to bother. when they do many of these juveniles get off with a warning. My brother had his 4runner stolen that way right from his driveway. Cops found it the next day with a paper in it that had a name on it, and traced it back to one of the local kids that stole it. Kid was only 13....Only thing that came out of it all, the cops told my brother to be thankful he got it back all in one piece. Thats was something we'd never do back in the day.

·
Registered
47,343 Posts
Back in the day it was taboo to call the cops. In my opinion it still is today. I deal with shit myself and somebody better be bleeding out before I call the cops. I deal with people myself and in a respectful way first is always the golden rule. If disrespected the tension raises from there but in most cases that doesn't happen when we try RESPECTING each other before resorting to Asshole mode. Not afraid to go there if I have to BUT all the bases need to done on my own before I'll ever call the cops. I know it's bad to ever say anything bad about police nowadays but luckily so far I've ever needed them. As a kid in my neighborhood which surrounded a small but decent size lake "1 mile across" we as kids were all over it, everywhere. Most homeowners let us do our shit without any issues. We didn't vandalize or trash anything but we commonly used everybody's property. Some people didn't like it and I get that. They told us what they had to say and we did our best to respect that even though as kids we would talk to our buddies about what dick's they were. Haha... Times have changed and so have people. I feel there is MUCH LESS RESPECT today.
I could recall my share of fights down on the school corner in an empty lot when i was growing up in the good ol days. Its how we settled it back then with no cops, or the school facility getting involved. Now try that and you will be arrested, and suspended from school.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts