Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on the lake last weekend and was racing mxz 800, 700, srx,poo 500 and a rx-1 and i was the last one out of the hole. There was no snow on the lake so nobody was getting really good traction. i got 170 1.075 saber carbide studs and i thought it would hook much better than it did. Not sure if i have too many studs or what but i hope it gets alot better with snow on the ground. I have the 1 inch track and weigh about 175. 800 doo had 123 studs and rx-1 had 192 and both hooked much better than me. any thought would be appreiciated. coupler set to 1

thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Should be 1175's.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
1.075 stud's will not hook this beast.......u need at least 1.175!!!
i have 153..1.175 fast-trac in my f7.......3 per lug......she hook's hard!!!
1.075 stud's barely even go over the top of the stud..not enough
peneration...my 2cent's

·
Registered
81 Posts
You have more than enough studs but they arent long enough. Dont get fooled into thinking "more is better"......too many studs will give you the "bed of nails effect".
I've seen mod thundercats with 200+ hp hook up with 192 studs but you need to have the right length and style.

·
Registered
879 Posts
What is your engagement? Over 3800 is too high with just trail studs on glare ice IMO. How many scratch lines do you have? The Woody's template only gives you 10 scratch lines for 170 studs which is not nearly enough. I have 170 studs and 28 scratch lines. It hooks up reasonably well on glare ice for being just trail studs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.075 studs stich out .34 over the top of the lugs which is recomended. (.25 - .375 is ideal im told). Longer studs may help but they are also more stress on your track too. Was just wondering if anyone else had this same problem on glare ice with no snow. My engagement is stock.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can't be telling him his studs are not long enough unless you analyze specific brand. All makers measure their studs differently. He is right in the range at .3x inches. I would make sure you've backed off all the pressure on the front skid frame shock, and make sure your track is loose enough, and really get back on the sled... Also do you bring your idle up to 3000 before a race? That really helps, cleans the engine out and gives you better response time.. JMHO.
kj

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Are your studs new and reasonably sharp yet? Depending on temps and the hardness of the ice, sometimes the only thing that will hook will be 30 degree sharp racing picks.

If you have a chance to try it again under similar conditions, I'd consider trying the following: Try TIGHTENING the front skid shock spring... not loosening it. This will put MUCH more pressure on the ground/ice. When I used to drag race, we'd ALWAYS set that shock spring as stiff as it'd go! Experiment with sitting/launching in different positions -- try sitting back, but also don't be afraid to try it sitting up on the tank too... especially with the tightened front skid shock spring. Good luck, and let us know if you come up with some setting that are obviously better or worse than others! -- Roy

·
Registered
171 Posts
You might have too many studs next time try liftinh th e ass end up and slaming it down so as the studs sink into the ice then lean back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts