Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 ltx Dx
Changed skies to curve and put Bill spring in.
Sled is all over the place.
1/8 toe
4 turns on center spring..
Darting very bad
Let off the gas in corner and the back of the sled wants to come around studded track and 6 " carbides.
Weight 240 without gear.
Where should I start for adjustment.?
Ok what do these do
Like if you put more turns in center spring what will it change in handling on the sled
Same thing with front springs more preload will do what?
Less preload will do what?
Rear spring what will that do fro handling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sound's like to much weight transfer,I would probably tighten front track spring,take measurment per manuel.I am 260 and had a little of that and tightened spring also just shimmed the ski,rear springs on med.I'm running cat ski w/studboy deuce.handles quite well.my 2 cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have fox air shocks on the front of mine. Decreasing air pressure or less preload helped for me. I did go one up on the limiter strap as well.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Let the center shock back to factory setting and try turning the ski shocks up a couple turns.....Where are your torsion spring blocks in the rear? My guess is way up.....Let those back down to the softest setting....If you have the blocks in the rear on the stiffest setting and have stiffened the front track spring, you have pushed all the weight onto the front skis and that's why you're darting...think of the center spring as your tipping point on your sled.....Transfer happens over (not through) that spring...Make one change at a time and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
2016 ltx Dx
Changed skies to curve and put Bill spring in.
Sled is all over the place.
1/8 toe
4 turns on center spring..
Darting very bad
Let off the gas in corner and the back of the sled wants to come around studded track and 6 " carbides.
Weight 240 without gear.
Where should I start for adjustment.?
Ok what do these do
Like if you put more turns in center spring what will it change in handling on the sled
Same thing with front springs more preload will do what?
Less preload will do what?
Rear spring what will that do fro handling.
I've had a 2014 Viper XTX since new, I have tried most carbides to get front end bite. But i'm not happy with darting, even when brand new it darted. ONLY solution I have found. Got to 6" Slim Jim Duellies. Yes it might push a little, but I just put mine back on and did a 1k mile trip thru Maine in 4 days and it was enjoyable, because I didn't fight sled. After that you can decrease center shock or increase Preload on front skis to get more bite. But those will eliminate darting. I don't care what people say, they WORK... GL

·
Registered
293 Posts
I run my curves with 6" round bar carbides and shimmed with no darting but many people go to the slim jim dual carbide setup. I know several Viper owners that run slim jims on the curves and are happy with that setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also just picked up a new 2017 Viper XTX and noticed on my first ride the steering effort required going thru the twisties is damn near unbearable. I have C & A skis with Shaper bars which I thought would be a great upgrade from the tuners. I installed a stiffer front rear spring which made it steer a touch easier but still a long way to go. Limiter strap is let all the way out. How much preload should on I have on the stiffer spring? I have a trip in a week and would really like to get the steering issue figured out before then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have had my 2014 XTX since new and always looking for great set up, whether it's to rail thru corner while rat racing or a comfortable ride. few years back went to SHaper Bars (friend loves them) Handled better but still darted. Spent $ for 8" Bergstrom triple points and shim kit. Handled amazing but steering effort was exhausting on arms. I went on a 1k mile trip last year(3 nights) and went back to New 6" slim Jim duallies. Such a better ride and told myself I can live with a little push once in awhile. I just change my riding style to get to handle. Well worth an effortless ride. Good Luck, everyone has a different opinion. This is just mine:bc2:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I have a pair of Curves that I have tried on my 6000's and 8000's and then my 9000 after removing a pair of whatever model of SLP's and they darted on all of them so back on the shelf they went. I have several set's of all 3 models of SLP's, Mowhawk, Powder Pro and SLT's and they are work perfectly. Curve sells a device called the "Leading Edge" to reduce darting which tells me their skis are known to dart.

I swap skis all of the time before I leave to ride for the day, depending on trail/snow conditions and who I am riding with. But primarily been running the SLT's and Powder Pro's on very loose trail.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have a pair of Curves that I have tried on my 6000's and 8000's and then my 9000 after removing a pair of whatever model of SLP's and they darted on all of them so back on the shelf they went. I have several set's of all 3 models of SLP's, Mowhawk, Powder Pro and SLT's and they are work perfectly. Curve sells a device called the "Leading Edge" to reduce darting which tells me their skis are known to dart.

I swap skis all of the time before I leave to ride for the day, depending on trail/snow conditions and who I am riding with. But primarily been running the SLT's and Powder Pro's on very loose trail.
How are those Powder pro's & SLT's on hard pack trails?? Do you prefer one over the other??

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
How are those Powder pro's & SLT's on hard pack trails?? Do you prefer one over the other??

Hard packed SLT's work awesome, Powder Pro's work very well on hard packed also but with a little more steering effort.
DO NOT run Shaper bars on any SLP ski as it wears the host bar out between the wear pad and where the carbide starts very fast and the carbide still looks new.

I also called Stud Boy and talked with the engineer and sent pictures of 4 different machines of mine with SLP's and he claims first he has ever heard or seen it...hard to believe as I have dealt with this issue since I stated running SLP's which has been 7yrs and yes I shim every ski no matter the brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts