Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1500 miles on my F7 and blew a belt today. I never seen a belt snap like that on a Cat. It snapped in half. I put a old zr800 belt on it. Is there a problem with belts? I seem to remember a post here about defective belts?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan it just snapped very fishy. Never seen a snapped one before not since the 70's. very little belt dust.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
was it peeled up...like where the corded area is , is where it split...kinda like a banana peel...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Dan,

About 3 weeks ago Chris (Blacksaber7) shattered his on a lake in Maine and last week I broke off 4 cogs/teeth up in NH...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My belt went south after 900 miles-not really all that bad but I usually get a whole season out of them w/no problem and then keep them for spares. It seems to me that I have also been hearing of a lot of belt problems.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
I have blamed myself so far...about 50 mile break in then about 150-200 holeshots and 1 mile races, in a row :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I'm with F7hooligan...seems like a lot of belts are going...I did the same amount of hole shots and yadda yadda yadda with my 50 lbs heavier and more torque ZR 800 and never broke a belt all year... :wacko:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
have not blown it yet , but i notice alot more deflection, it has stretched a lot!
will replace before next ride, keep old one as spare,
i'm not normally a cheap ass, but when it comes to the price of these belts, it bothers me, i'm not sure why it just does! :blink: :wacko: :huh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have about 400 miles and mine seems fine. But, my wife has a 2003 ZL 600 SS and she blew hers off after only 8 miles!!! She came across a field at about 50MPH, turned around (slow) and went to take off again, and CLUNK! The thing was btoke clean through in 2 spots and almost through in another 2 spots.

·
Registered
676 Posts
2000 miles and I am on my 5th belt. Mine are also breaking in half. Dealer has replaced 2 for me which I thought was great.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the same with mine. It would crack if you bent it backwards. Did it in 2 places. Seems very brittle.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Noticed on Saturday that mine was missing a couple of cogs on the inside as well it was peeling like a banana in a few spots. GOing to take it to the dealer today to see whats up!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just thinking out loud guys, what do you think of the fact that the motor really moves around a lot due to the type of mounting system in the F chassis, seems to me that the motor mounts are made of a fairly soft durometer material according to GLS due to the fact that harder compound caused excessive vibration. If you combine this with the fact that the secondary clutch is non-self centering type, all those twisting forces moving in and out of alignment wouldn't that be just that much harder on belts and lower the belt life. Actually a good question for rob, how may belts has he changed out. A second one would be of the people going through belts, do you do a lot of racing, hard launches, etc or is it happening to a wider variety of riding styles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As john Stated, I lost mine at 65mph with ONLY 650 Miles in it. That is RIDICULOUS. My Polaris got 2500+ on a belt, and I replaced them at that point for fear of breaking. This is SILLY.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts