Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its good to have the F10 back on the trail after a 2 week hiatus. I will start with good words for Arctic and Argyll Motor Sports in Edmonton. They could not have cut it much finer but they had me back on the snow in 10 work days. :beerchug: Got to put some miles on over the Christmas break and the Cat has impressed me. My son and I got to put on about 135 miles in the last two days and this F10 is one of the best trail sleds I have ridden. :banana: It floats thru the bumps like a Rev-read very good! MUCH better than a Mach ZX in the junk. In the garbage the Mach feels like every bit of its 600 (or whatever) lbs. It is way to low, with too little suspension travel and spends its time either bashing the belly on the ground or bottoming the skid. Also it steers like some kind of fitness machine-not easy. back to the Cat, none of the above applies! The steering is light, the ride is excellent and the sled FEELS 50 lbs lighter than a Mach. I know both the Mach and F10 are big heavy sleds, but the Cat feels like an 800 by comparison. After a short ride my son strongly suggested I trade his F7 for an F8 next season. He has been wanting a Rev XRS800 for quite a while.
Performance? We did a number of runs between the piped (faster than all 800's) 04 F7 and my F1000. What we saw was that they were very close with the edge going to the F7 at first (before we got some miles on the Cat). As the miles accumulated the tables reversed. By the time the new F10 (replacement motor) had 70 miles on it, it would slowly pull the f7 from 40 mph. By 135 miles it was pulling away a bit quicker. Speed is meaningless to eastern riders because we are at 2500'ASL and our sleds are always slower. The F10 is one of the few I have owned that is clutched correctly for our conditions. Mostly when I hit it I get 7100-7200 rpms. This weekend I will run the F1000 (235 miles) against my 06 Mach ZX (2500 miles). I expect the Doo to win, but I think it wil be close. Probably a Y pipe and an air intake will reverse the tables.
One question. Is anyone else experiencing a miss sometimes when they hit the throttle from a roll say 40 mph? It goes to 6600 rpm and then slowly pulls up to 7200.

Lastly, Cat needs to get some better plastic injection moulders. The hood, side panels etc are a disgrace. Looks like stuff from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What was the problem with your engine if i understand it right it was Bone stock!! If pistons were burned do the dealer know why??What do cat think it is??
Did they send in y-pipes ecu etc??

·
Registered
869 Posts
gerahead, great report. Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Great to hear AC and your dealer took good care of you. Finally, someone is talking more about the handling and how light the sled feels compared to the REV/MACHZ.
I have always felt the REV "felt" heavy. What's up with the MACH only having 6" if front end travel? What is Ski-doo thinking? The sled is only good for ripping across a lake and smooth groomed trails. Just my .02 cents. Which sled is going to be more
enjoyable to ride all day and 250-300 miles? Hands down. The F chassis.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great to heqar your up and running.. wonder what was up ,, with the old motor???[/b]
I have not even spoken to the dealer since I picked the sled up last week. Been to busy with Christmas and having fun riding at the lake. I will make a point to call them tomorrow and see if they have had any feedback from Arctic. I would be willing to bet anyone $100 that it was an air bubble in the cooling system. Why? The bottle was empty when I pulled the pod off the next AM. :banghead:

A question for anyone with inside info. Is there any chance that I might have received a "special ecu" intended for those "problem machines"? Bombardier used to have a policy of electronically retarding the timing on Seadoos that had an engine seizure. I know this for sure-it was done to me in 1998! :drunk: I got to know the dealers tech well enough to get him to scan my Doo and show me the timing setting AND put it back to stock!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gerahead, great report. Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Great to hear AC and your dealer took good care of you. Finally, someone is talking more about the handling and how light the sled feels compared to the REV/MACHZ.
I have always felt the REV "felt" heavy. What's up with the MACH only having 6" if front end travel? What is Ski-doo thinking? The sled is only good for ripping across a lake and smooth groomed trails. Just my .02 cents. Which sled is going to be more
enjoyable to ride all day and 250-300 miles? Hands down. The F chassis.[/b]
Hi Todd
Wish you were one of the BRP engineers. I hate those shorty shox on the front of my Z. Out here we don't have alot of groomed trails and I had to replace 3 pieces of plastic (belly parts) last year-3 separate incidents. Twice I did not even know I hit something. The clearance (lowness) on the Z is just plain stupid! I use a set of long (old Rev length) Fox floats now till the snow gets deep and I have a skid plate as well!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have not even spoken to the dealer since I picked the sled up last week. Been to busy with Christmas and having fun riding at the lake. I will make a point to call them tomorrow and see if they have had any feedback from Arctic. I would be willing to bet anyone $100 that it was an air bubble in the cooling system. Why? The bottle was empty when I pulled the pod off the next AM. :banghead:

A question for anyone with inside info. Is there any chance that I might have received a "special ecu" intended for those "problem machines"? Bombardier used to have a policy of electronically retarding the timing on Seadoos that had an engine seizure. I know this for sure-it was done to me in 1998! :drunk: I got to know the dealers tech well enough to get him to scan my Doo and show me the timing setting AND put it back to stock![/b]
Glad to hear you're out of the woods. Question - if you noticed the bottle was empty upon return next AM, would that not indicate she purged herself on her own? Maybe it was too late by that point, but if a bubble was in there, and the coolant level dropped way down, then it should have cooled before going down. Was wondering if maybe the hose clamp at the bottom of the coolant bottle might have been loose and it just leaked out? Did you n otice any coolant in the bottom of the belly?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear you're out of the woods. Question - if you noticed the bottle was empty upon return next AM, would that not indicate she purged herself on her own? Maybe it was too late by that point, but if a bubble was in there, and the coolant level dropped way down, then it should have cooled before going down. Was wondering if maybe the hose clamp at the bottom of the coolant bottle might have been loose and it just leaked out? Did you n otice any coolant in the bottom of the belly?[/b]
Black
You are correct in saying it purged itself. Did it purge before the seizure? Perhaps, but then why the seizure? I had only ridden 6 miles in a fairly flat ditch. After the seizure I rode further (20 miles), some of it in a powder ditch which included sidehilling etc. I think that is when it purged. Anyway it was parked in my garage that night and there was no antifreeze on the floor in the morning. It did not leak after that-we rode more miles the next day-like 100-still no leaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts