Hardcore Sledder banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,249 Posts
Polaris even tried some weird stuff when we rebuilt clutch's back in the early 90's using small rubber o rings in their clutch. They even use a center bolt mounting o ring to curb the harmonic vibrations.
Yup, one side of each button also had an O-ring. Still have some here.

·
Premium Member
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Something is way off. Even in perfect conditions i don't think i ever came close to 19 mpg with my stock 92 indy 500...maybe 13, and change at best. As far as the ves 600, i had the 02 xcsp edge. it was about 12-13 mpg in the very best conditions. 10-11 mpg was pretty much standard from all my ves 600's, and that was jetted down from stock. Granted i had a heavy flipper back then, but even now riding much slower i don't get close to 14. Most i ever got in perfect conditions with my ves 600 was 125 miles to a tank of fuel. Getting 19 mpg with the 500 your in the yamaha vector 4 stroke camp.
x2.

4 ves 600s ive had. all 2005s.all jetted down 1 to 2 sizes from stock.i ride alot of wood roads and no groomed trails at all.

im sure it might do better with a less aggressive driver at constant trail speeds, but im routinely 10 mpg , usually closer to 9.

i love my 600 ves sleds, more then most id say, i like em better then my iq sled i had, but a etec it isn't.pretty thirsty on gas and oil.probably why they live relatively long lives too so i take it for what it is, a fun, reliable sled. gas miser , no. in fact , my 03'zr 800 fuelie got better mileage then any of my 600s. i saw 12 mpg with that a few times.never on my edge.

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
x2.

4 ves 600s ive had. all 2005s.all jetted down 1 to 2 sizes from stock.i ride alot of wood roads and no groomed trails at all.

im sure it might do better with a less aggressive driver at constant trail speeds, but im routinely 10 mpg , usually closer to 9.

i love my 600 ves sleds, more then most id say, i like em better then my iq sled i had, but a etec it isn't.pretty thirsty on gas and oil.probably why they live relatively long lives too so i take it for what it is, a fun, reliable sled. gas miser , no. in fact , my 03'zr 800 fuelie got better mileage then any of my 600s. i saw 12 mpg with that a few times.never on my edge.
Every zr800 i ever rode with always beat me on gas mileage. They just cruise along with little effort. Best i got was within 50 cents after 110 miles. My 00 600 ves trail sled was pretty good on fuel economy the way i had it clutched for bag trips in quebec, but it never got over 12 mpg.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I remember hearing that in "96", they started to put the 440 XCR Y-pipe on the Indy 500.. that was suppose to add a little more power.
and when they went to flat-side carbs in the "01" Edge Indy 500.. it also added a little more zip...

·
Vendor
11,202 Posts
yup flat slides flow more air then round slides. unless you use UFO'S we saw as much as 10 h.p. gain on some sleds with these. all of our race sleds ran those. really woke up our ultra. the bottom of the round slide created turbulence over the jet needle. you know these were doing something when you cut the pilot jet in half. meaning if you had 40 pilots you had to run 20's. our 100 h.p. 500 is buried in a storage unit. when we get it out i will take pictures of our cooling mod on this. 2000 miles on this after the mod. 140 lb's of compression. pretty safe to say we figured it out.

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
yup flat slides flow more air then round slides. unless you use UFO'S we saw as much as 10 h.p. gain on some sleds with these. all of our race sleds ran those. really woke up our ultra. the bottom of the round slide created turbulence over the jet needle. you know these were doing something when you cut the pilot jet in half. meaning if you had 40 pilots you had to run 20's. our 100 h.p. 500 is buried in a storage unit. when we get it out i will take pictures of our cooling mod on this. 2000 miles on this after the mod. 140 lb's of compression. pretty safe to say we figured it out.
Every time i had similar compression on my slp rz 500 head, running phillips b32 race gas, i blew head gaskets. We finally wire o ringed the cylinders which solved that issue. At any rate installing a rotax motor solved everything. If you can't beat them, you gotta join um.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts