Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I know they had flat slides, but never saw one that had a high output decal....gotta wonder if that was added by the owner from some other model. I had a 2001 xc 600 ves edge. I think it had something like high performance 600 on the hood.

Yep, just different jetting.
older white wedge xc's/xcr 600's had the 'high performance' sticker running down alongside the hood venting.

Reactions: too slow

·
Premium Member
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Idk if the later edge indy 500's came with ryde or fox shocks...probably not. if the case its not going to ride as smooth in rougher conditions as the xc edge.
rear track is fox.i think its a non rebuildable junker fox though.front is the walmart esque arvin gas shock.

·
Premium Member
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
No engine pics?

IMO it's hard to go wrong for $1,500 CAD. I had an older 500 Indy, it was a 1998 with the X-10 rear skid. Decent little sled for smooth trail riding.
said he was going to take some and a video of it running.still waiting on both.

unless its a total mess in there , i think the price in todays market is a steal too.its why im talking to the guy about picking it up.

you should see some of the abesolute junk on classifieds going for way more then this.guys moving in a month or too he says, aint got storage at the new spot for it.

·
Vendor
11,202 Posts
i build F500 motors for oval track racers here in the north east. you can go .020 over bore. have to run a pipe made for these, a few different places have them. stock stator, timing ,etc. only SP1 piston's are allowed. or o.e.m. if you can find them. no wiseco, etc. no cylinder shim's head cut etc. these are heavily teched at races. that said this is one of if not the best motor Polaris had. 72 h.p. out of the box 7800-8000 rpm. we have 100+ h.p. 500 based motors that have been bullet proof. you have to know what your doing. most didn't. even SLP that mod was junk. what is truly amazing is the speed these go on the oval. at one race here in N.H. they ran F5 against 440 champ sleds . F5 in the first row champ sleds in the second row. 5 laps it took the fastest champ sled 3 laps to get past the F5 sleds. and a F5 finished third. gear the edge based sled 22/40 pick up the engagement some. this is a piston port motor so a inherent bog down low is the norm. helix change will make a big difference in these. our 2003 indy 500 basically stock other then gearing/clutching with my 100 pound daughter on it won many 500 c.c. class wins. even over 500 xcsp in short run's. we also placed 2nd at a ice radar run with a 1977 TXL 340 in the 500 class. a F5 cat beat us by 1 mph. that TXL won it's class in eagle river 6-7 years ago. the 500 is basically a 340 big bore. and the TXL 340 was another winner as far as reliability. the 1977 Polaris race team ( the midnight blue express) 340 super mod. motor is based off that same TXL 340 these were 92 h.p. and still the most reliable motor on the track. and won just about every time it was on the track.

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
Imo, you can't make a normally aspirated 488 lc fuji engine 100, hp and claim it bulet proof. I had too much experience with them. The non ves liberty 500 is another story.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,060 Posts
A stock ves 500 makes over 100 HP. The non best 500 were down a few ponies. The ves system was worth about 400 rpm.

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
A stock ves 500 makes over 100 HP. The non best 500 were down a few ponies. The ves system was worth about 400 rpm.
Yep, we dynoed the 99 liberty non-ves 500 at 92 hp. Supposedly the ves 500 is around 104-105 hp. We made more hp with a 95 440 lc fuji that was modified, and reliable than any 488 lc that ended up a time bomb back in the day. I don't know if polaris made any improvements with the 488 engine design since then?, or its still the same old iron sleeve engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A local crankshaft rebuilder named Ray Hitchcock told me back in 1990 that he had to restraighten hundreds of Polaris 500 twin cranks for Polaris. Apparently, they were very weakly built. Beware.
Thanks hhanks
A local crankshaft rebuilder named Ray Hitchcock told me back in 1990 that he had to restraighten hundreds of Polaris 500 twin cranks for Polaris. Apparently, they were very weakly built. Beware.
Thanks for good memories, Ray was the best I remember taking cranks to him in my oval racing days, I had one of those cranks go bad on a 91 Indy 500

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
2,130 Posts
Idk if the later edge indy 500's came with ryde or fox shocks...probably not. if the case its not going to ride as smooth in rougher conditions as the xc edge.
correct. the Indy 500 is basic. no progressive springs. and so on. however it will be a great sled as far as reliability goes. it's an edge so it won't be terrible.

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
correct. the Indy 500 is basic. no progressive springs. and so on. however it will be a great sled as far as reliability goes. it's an edge so it won't be terrible.
I've ridden entry level edges with those throwaway shocks....big difference in ride quality than an all rebuildable fox, or ryde sled. Maybe at slower speeds those sleds are ok with those shocks? idk

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
2,130 Posts
I've ridden entry level edges with those throwaway shocks....big difference in ride quality than an all rebuildable fox, or ryde sled. Maybe at slower speeds those sleds are ok with those shocks? idk
indeed good sled for casual riding. but at aggressive riding, xc sp for sure.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts