Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,671 Posts
what kinda mileage and price ? good deal?
Had around 2000 miles on it. Paid $1200. Was driven by the PO's wife. Previously was studded by the PO but wife said it was too hard to steer, so he removed them. My buddy put them all back in and added more. Loves the way it drives. He hated the noise coming from the chaincase caused by the idler. So, he removed that and installed a one tooth larger bottom gear and it didn't need the idler. Noise gone.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
stock im told they only spin 8 k max. i guess the above is why u stress keeping it stock.

its weird, ive read threads that people say this is arguably one of the most reliable engines polaris built, but on here the opinions appear quite abit different.

if its a timebomb i might just as well pass.i thought the thing was bulletproof.
A lot of people on here are in the 1% and modify and expect 110% from their stuff. It breaks more often when these things happen. I rode an Indy trail till I was 16, that sled was held wide open for miles and miles on end riding with the big 600 liquid sleds. I put 8000 miles on it and never opened the motor the first time I owned it. It was done some time before I got it. I ended up with the sled back many years later after it went through a couple family members and friends. The crank seized on it and the sled had just under 20 000 miles. It was first size over bore when I opened it. Any ones guess on the crank.
So yeah they are good motors, and the liquids are really not that much different. Just as near as I can tell the basic engine would have been made to run 7000 rpm in fan form, then 8000 rpm in liquid form. So I would expect come loss of life at higher RPM. The only real issue I know of was some had a plastic oil pump drive gear, the rest metal or cast or something similar.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,143 Posts
Indy 500 (488cc) is a solid reliable engine. Just leave it stock. My old man spent a bunch of dough back in the 90s on the 500 engine. Boring, porting, welding and remachining the head, netted 72hp on the dyno at Midwest Dyno in Illinois. A N2O kit in the air box and a little race fuel made just over 100hp!

A stock 500 ves engine made 105!

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
They are solid engines.One of the race sleds I work on is an f500 which requires the use of a bone stock fuji 500.That poor thing took a beating last year and never let us down even after it finished a race with no water in it….twice.Opened it up to find minimal damage….amazing.

·
Registered
47,991 Posts
Indy 500 (488cc) is a solid reliable engine. Just leave it stock. My old man spent a bunch of dough back in the 90s on the 500 engine. Boring, porting, welding and remachining the head, netted 72hp on the dyno at Midwest Dyno in Illinois. A N2O kit in the air box and a little race fuel made just over 100hp!

A stock 500 ves engine made 105!
The slp rz 500 i raced made close to 100 hp with 44 carbs and twin pipes, but still wasn't competitive against the rotax's. Not only that, but it was a time bomb. The guys even gave me a cheft's hat. Stock those 500's made 72 hp on a good day.

·
Registered
47,991 Posts
They are solid engines.One of the race sleds I work on is an f500 which requires the use of a bone stock fuji 500.That poor thing took a beating last year and never let us down even after it finished a race with no water in it….twice.Opened it up to find minimal damage….amazing.
I wish i had luck like that. Back in 92 i couldn't get them to hold up due to excessive heat causing blown head gaskets, and pistons. Can't tell you how many pistons i smoked.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I wish i had luck like that. Back in 92 i couldn't get them to hold up due to excessive heat causing blown head gaskets, and pistons. Can't tell you how many pistons i smoked.
I thought for sure it was going to be hammered but the pistons were barely scuffed more than they were the day before when I had it apart in tech.I was shocked.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,143 Posts
I don't recall if we had 2 or 3 Indy 500's back when but we never had any engines issues with them, also had 2 fan cooled 488's with no problems, these were only stock trail sleds for my kids and wife.
Exactly my point. Stock they were great, fan or liquid cooled. I watched my dad numerous times using muriatic acid on the cylinders trying to remove aluminum from the pistons.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I had an 89 new.Put a pipe on it and it ran perfect for about 9000 miles.It finally blew up and I swapped a 600xcr sp reed valve engine and triple pipes into it.It was my first engine swap.That thing flew with that 600

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so clean it up , and ride it and should be ok for a long time .i mean its under 3000 miles and i know going in its not fast and wont try to make it such.

i never had intentions of spinning 9 k with porting and pipes anyways lol.

i will say though, i like this graphics package much better then my rmk's. i think it looks kinda mean. be nice if it had a xcr 800 motor in it later lol

·
Registered
47,991 Posts
I had an 89 new.Put a pipe on it and it ran perfect for about 9000 miles.It finally blew up and I swapped a 600xcr sp reed valve engine and triple pipes into it.It was my first engine swap.That thing flew with that 600
I had a stock 92 indy 500 for about 2 rides and blew it up, might of gotten some bad gas idk, but i was awful hard riding it for the first 400 miles in quebec mostly wide open to stay with some of the 650 guys. Recall leading going up a long hill on a main trans trail pinned w.o. for about a 1/4 mile, and with no warning felt the engine cough, and nothing...engine was locked up. Got towed to the motel by a buddies 650 where i pulled the top end the next day. Engine was done, both pistons had broken ring lands, and skirts with a mess of aluminum pieces in the bottom end. Eventually got the sled back home for warranty where the dealers service manager couldn't believe what he saw.

·
Registered
47,991 Posts
My buddy's 2001 500 has flatslides. Says High Output on hood.
I know they had flat slides, but never saw one that had a high output decal....gotta wonder if that was added by the owner from some other model. I had a 2001 xc 600 ves edge. I think it had something like high performance 600 on the hood.
so same carbs as a ves 600?
Yep, just different jetting.

·
Registered
47,991 Posts
No engine pics?

IMO it's hard to go wrong for $1,500 CAD. I had an older 500 Indy, it was a 1998 with the X-10 rear skid. Decent little sled for smooth trail riding.
Idk if the later edge indy 500's came with ryde or fox shocks...probably not. if the case its not going to ride as smooth in rougher conditions as the xc edge.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts