Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Even my Indy trail uses more fuel than my 500/700/800 Edge sleds did. But those edge sleds with the fuji motor were pretty darn good sleds, just leave it completely stock. I mean go through it front to back and set everything up properly. Run it the way it came and enjoy it for a nice trail cruiser that gets you home at the end of the day.

And if being honest I think a 500 ves or non ves or 600 ves is just as reliable, better on fuel, more power and easier to get parts for the motor.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
ive had 4 edge 600 ves models, all 05's.

never saw more then 10 mpg on a good day on any of em. usually less because of how i drive them.

id prefer a xc sp, but this came up so cheap and not much use its hard to say no.

an obvious big step back in performance, but as a back up / loaner/ misses sled, i think it fits the ill ok.

i still held on to my 2nd rmk edge 600 ves.
My wife's old 01 xc 500 sp would get 17mpg (imperial since I'm in Canada too and am stuck in some stupid half metric half imperial time warp where we use gallons as measurements and the US still didn't agree with us on that, and all our country roads are numbered by the mile and we still use cups and teaspoons for baking, and I had no damn idea how many ounces are in a quart, but know there is like 946ml in a quart........) easy trail riding as the max.
All my sleds seem to end up in the 12mpg range, sometimes a lot better if I'm trail cruising.

Our local crank rebuilder was having trouble getting parts for a 488 fuji crank this winter. No used stuff that he had, nothing new out there. It was a poor supply year but did cause me some issues getting the motor done on the old Indy trail after the plastic oil pump gear broke. I dug up a total of 3 very well used cranks from my good junk pile and managed to get one made.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
stock im told they only spin 8 k max. i guess the above is why u stress keeping it stock.

its weird, ive read threads that people say this is arguably one of the most reliable engines polaris built, but on here the opinions appear quite abit different.

if its a timebomb i might just as well pass.i thought the thing was bulletproof.
A lot of people on here are in the 1% and modify and expect 110% from their stuff. It breaks more often when these things happen. I rode an Indy trail till I was 16, that sled was held wide open for miles and miles on end riding with the big 600 liquid sleds. I put 8000 miles on it and never opened the motor the first time I owned it. It was done some time before I got it. I ended up with the sled back many years later after it went through a couple family members and friends. The crank seized on it and the sled had just under 20 000 miles. It was first size over bore when I opened it. Any ones guess on the crank.
So yeah they are good motors, and the liquids are really not that much different. Just as near as I can tell the basic engine would have been made to run 7000 rpm in fan form, then 8000 rpm in liquid form. So I would expect come loss of life at higher RPM. The only real issue I know of was some had a plastic oil pump drive gear, the rest metal or cast or something similar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts