Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
left friday at 4pm from Saratoga and arrived at the Cabonon at 9:30pm. About a foot of snow on the ground and lightly snowing 1" every 6-8hrs+/-. We unloaded checked in and took off to the Kobeck club returned at 2am. Trail 345 and 350 were well groomed with some rocks showing.
Saturday 9am left the Cabonon and headed north, rode trails 318, 33S, 33N to Aubberge du Lac Taureau, 28 miles on a logging road not on the map, 360 to 345S back to the Cabonon. Conditions were consistently groomed with some rocks showing, the farther north we went the deeper the snow was up to around 2' +/-.
Sunday we rode 345S to the Real Masse for breakfast it was freshly groomed and fast.
Total we rode 320 miles the condition were not great but we had a great time and I am glade we went. The lakes were hard, we rode the one at the Cabonon and Masse, If you are not a Pre-Madona you will enjoy your self.

·
Registered
541 Posts
good info thanks so all its going to take is one more good storm and trails will be good all we're doing is waiting to hear its good and were heading up... coming from the same area in NY right up the northway to riding paridise :beerchug:

also what was the exchange rate?? i know it drops every year just curious what it is this year? thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
We just got back from St Zenon as well stayed at the Cabanon conditions are not extreme however compared to here they are great...the lake is frozen and lots of competion in the drag department..had an awesome time..

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was with sci, we had a blast and did some good riding. The exchange rate was 1.20 at the duty free but we got 1.10 at Cabanon. This was my first trip sledding in Canada, if the conditions were not good then I can not wait until they are considered good. I took my brand new, leftover, '06 Yamaha Attak that had 6/10 of a mile on it when we left Saratoga on Friday afternoon. When we loaded up the sleds Sunday morning it had 319.6 miles on it, this is the first sled I have ever owned and I have not been on a sled since 1995. We did a little dragging on the lake at Cabonon Sunday morning before we left, my sled is now broken in and ready for the next trip, if they get one more decent snowstorm the conditions should improve immensely.

I am hooked on this hobby, thanks to my brother-in-law for convincing me to buy a sled this year. There is a good chance that my Volkl skis will not get waxed for skiing this season.

·
Registered
676 Posts
loaded up the sleds Sunday morning it had 319.6 miles on it, this is the first sled I have ever owned and I have not been on a sled since 1995. We did a little dragging on the lake at Cabonon Sunday morning before we left, my sled is now broken in and ready for the next trip,[/b]
That thing is no where near broke in yet. Heard it takes 1000 miles before they woke up. Good sled choice, sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
joe,
Just meant that I went past the initial break-in period of keeping it below 8000 RPMS, I understand that the sled will really open up after 1000 miles. Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
should be about 15% on the exchange(.853 as of noon today) exchange rate has actually been moving the right direction was under 10% in early summer.

$1 liter is +- 3.25 USD gallon depending on exchange. Stations around Quebec City were about 96 cents a liter. I paid 1.25 liter at a relais 2 weeks ago which is $4 gallon.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
YOu guys that are waiting for one more storm should have gone up this week. We put on 150 miles in the l-etape area yesterday and we didn't get started until 1:00 because we had to find a reg. for one guys sled and had to find out the hard way that you can't ride from the hotel in Lac Beauport. You need to trailer to L-etape.

The way the St Zenon area has been, what are you waiting for. That area's groomers are always able to make 8" of snow seem like much more.

With rain coming, you are going to wish you had gone.

I was thinking the same thing for not going up to Saugeny back in early Dec.

I won't make that mistake next year.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For up to date exchange rates go to http://www.xe.com/ucc/ and select American to Canadian dollar. Right now an American dollar is worth $1.177 Canadian or 17%. Not what is was a couple of years ago, but not bad either. A hotel room that costs $70 Canadian is about $57 American. Hey, with all the money I am not spending riding locally a trip to Canada is cost effective. Too bad the Old Forge, NY trail pass doesn't reciprocate with the pass needed for Quebec trails. How idealistic is that? :lol2:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ice

We are going back up around the 24th. Not sure where yet. Steve and his group are going. At first we thought maybe Maine, but they have no snow. So we will have to wait and see. We head home tomorrow because it's supposed to rain for 2 days.

Definetly going to Saugeny/Mt Valin area next Christmas. The scenery is awsome. Everyone says they usually have plenty of snow at Christmas. This year was the exception.

Bill

1 - 20 of 49 Posts