Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gas station attendant thought i shot him mine backfired so bad yesterday. anyone else have this problem? what causes this?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Let the sleed idle for some time before shuting it off, maby this helps....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Has happened to me about three times, always when starting the sled. It is almost like there is too much fuel in the fuel rail from the first pull, and it does it on the second pull.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was told by my dealer it is caused by shutting down sled before it has come to an idle, and you have excess fuel in the engine when you restart.

BIGCATF7

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally posted by BIGCATF7@Jan 27 2003, 05:03 PM
I was told by my dealer it is caused by shutting down sled before it has come to an idle, and you have excess fuel in the engine when you restart.

BIGCATF7
You are right on the money.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
old sled backfired on gravel and i made a 1" deep crater. IT always happens when you shut the machine off before it starts to idle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it does turn some heads and its fun to watch your friends jump. another added bonus to owning the best sled ever made.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by schifty@Jan 27 2003, 09:55 PM
it does turn some heads and its fun to watch your friends jump. another added bonus to owning the best sled ever made.
lol...it didn't scare my friends, it scared the shit out of me!!! lololol! :lol:

·
Registered
720 Posts
The last time mine backfired, my friend immediately grabbed his chest and fell backwards off his sled.

Now that was funny. :lol:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mine backfires after I shut it off. Its not too funny in a garage. I still cant get my dog to sit for a bone. :lol:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
mine has done it a a couple of times when i am starting it after it had just been shut off. i was pulling the cord like a pussy and not getting it started on the first pull is why. now i two hand it to make sure it barks off on the first pull.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I HAVE A F7 AND RIDE WITH A COUPLE GUYS THAT HAVE A XC600 AND MXZ800 WHO BOTH BACK FIRE BIG TIME. EVERY TIME WE STOP AND SHUT DOWN THE DOO SHOOTS OUT HUGE FLAMES, BUT MINE WILL LET OUT A SMALL ON ONCE AND A WHILE

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
digger is correct, if it back fires hard enough it will over pressuriz the cases and push out the crank seals and that could be bad news if an air leak starts . backfiring can also break or chip reeds.................

·
Registered
24 Posts
The reason the sled backfires is unburned fuel in the pipe. It backfires through the pipe only, and does not affect the engine seals. If the engine backfires through the intake, that is when seals and reeds get wrecked (different problem).
Backfiring through the pipe happens on all two stroke engines due to the nature of scavenging fuel out of the tuned pipe. That is why the pipes are "tuned". The other guys are right, if the engine is idled down it lessens the chance of this occuring.
I hate it when my sled does this in a crowded gas station. Good thing my helmet covers my face. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts