Hardcore Sledder banner

ATV TRAILS POSSIBLY OPENING IN PITTSBURG

12K views 161 replies 50 participants last post by  polarman 
#1 ·
The owners and management of Perry Stream Land and Timber , have decided to consider opening the atv trails possibly as soon as this coming w/e. This is only on the perry stream land co. where the existing atv trails are NOT OUT IN MAGALLOWAY OR ANYWHERE ELSE.

The decision was made to help out the north country economy , things are not good right now. This is also the chance to show how atv's can help the area PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE.

More info as they get things signed along with the state , there also should be info coming on the state site.

#3 ·
I just got done talking with Vince and as soon as all the details are worked out I will be up dating the ATV web site. As RX1TON said, be responsible and please follow all signing for ATVs. If problems develope on the shared trails ATVs may not be allowed again. :banghead:

It is my understanding that there may not be any access to gas, lodging or food directly from the trails. :dunno: Full details will be on the Great North Woods Riders ATV Club, Inc. web site soon. :div20:

Mark :beerchug:

#5 ·
I, am not in favor of sharing snow covered trails with atv's! Anyone who has ridden in Quebec will tell you the shared sections are the worst...almost dangerous because of severe rutting and the differences in the speeds and agility or lack there of in the atv's.
I am also against wasting money that comes all too hard, on grooming trails that don't last 5 minutes with the atv's on them! Hopefully there won't be too many shared trails, with what little riding is available to snowmobiles now...it will be a shame to have them ruined!
The ATV's have their season...let us have ours...what there is left of it!

#6 ·
I, am not in favor of sharing snow covered trails with atv's! Anyone who has ridden in Quebec will tell you the shared sections are the worst...almost dangerous because of severe rutting and the differences in the speeds and agility or lack there of in the atv's.
I am also against wasting money that comes all too hard, on grooming trails that don't last 5 minutes with the atv's on them! Hopefully there won't be too many shared trails, with what little riding is available to snowmobiles now...it will be a shame to have them ruined!
The ATV's have their season...let us have ours...what there is left of it![/b]
There will be very few shared trails , some of the steeper sections will also be closed to atv's also.
This is still not 100% going to happen.

#7 ·
i dont think they are talking about snow covered trails............i thinkthey are talking about min snow to no snow covered trails. im a sledder but after the last 2 winters i may have to get an atv as well . i think all snowmobile clubs should at least think about this because if it does not snow what good is a trail system?

#9 ·
I agree that sharing is not wonderful but there is more at stake here than that... Business owners are going to go under if money is not flowing. I cannot imagine the stress Pittsburg buisness owners are under currently... If that is what it takes to keep them from going under, I see no problem in sharing.
When snow flies I am sure they could rework agreement to adjust as required. You know it might not be a bad idea for owners to offer a "special rate" ie: 20% reduced stay rate for reservations made 1 month+ out with 100% prepayment at booking & zero refund clause. For those wishing to gamble a 20% price reduction (or whatever the number) may be a win/win all around....just thinking out loud.. Maybe offer travel insurance as a safety net for those who want to do it. Cannot imagine Zero cash flow & the expenditures you owners must be bearing..
Good Luck to the owners!

#10 ·
There will be very few shared trails , some of the steeper sections will also be closed to atv's also.
This is still not 100% going to happen the two clubs need to talk.[/b]
I don't see how it will be enforced...once they're out there I think the flood gates are opened! This is the predicament that atv's all over the state have got themselves into! Land that is clearly posted "no wheeled vehicles" is violated constantly! Money that was donated privately to groom snowmobile trails as well as State funds will be wasted grooming trails that won't last 1 hr with wheeled vehicles on them!
I feel the Pittsburg trails are busy and dangerous enough without adding atv's to them! I will probably consider taking my snowmobiling money the short ride up the road to Quebec...where the shared trails are few compared to the number of miles without atv's!

If this does happen...it will be a victory for the atv's...but a kick in the gut to the snowmobiliers of the State of NH!

#11 ·
I have to agree. I am a dirtbike/atv rider, but come on. We have 3 months if we are lucky to ride the sleds. The atv's destroy the trails in seconds. Just give us the small amount of time that we have to ride the sleds. The atvs have 9 months of the year. Oh well. If I start running into atv's on the snowmobile trails I am going to have to ride in Maine or Canada. I love Pittsburg and NH but I am all set with dealing with that. Hopefully it is just a quick thing to bring some $$$$ into the burg. Otherwise I think NH is going to lose alot of snowmobilers.

#12 ·
I have to agree. I am a dirtbike/atv rider, but come on. We have 3 months if we are lucky to ride the sleds. The atv's destroy the trails in seconds. Just give us the small amount of time that we have to ride the sleds. The atvs have 9 months of the year. Oh well. If I start running into atv's on the snowmobile trails I am going to have to ride in Maine or Canada. I love Pittsburg and NH but I am all set with dealing with that. Hopefully it is just a quick thing to bring some $$$$ into the burg. Otherwise I think NH is going to lose alot of snowmobilers.[/b]
You said it! :div20:

#13 ·
I don't see how it will be enforced...once they're out there I think the flood gates are opened! This is the predicament that atv's all over the state have got themselves into! Land that is clearly posted "no wheeled vehicles" is violated constantly! Money that was donated privately to groom snowmobile trails as well as State funds will be wasted grooming trails that won't last 1 hr with wheeled vehicles on them!
I feel the Pittsburg trails are busy and dangerous enough without adding atv's to them! I will probably consider taking my snowmobiling money the short ride up the road to Quebec...where the shared trails are few compared to the number of miles without atv's!

If this does happen...it will be a victory for the atv's...but a kick in the gut to the snowmobiliers of the State of NH![/b]
Calm down please. :linemup:

From my knowledge of the ATV and Snowmoible trail systems here in Pittsburg; we are talking maybe 6 to 10 miles of shared groomed trails. :doh: That is out of 150 miles or more of groomed trails. There are snowmobile only groomed trails that you can use to get around the shared area if you don't want to use it. :div20:

Signing will be extensive so the ATV riders know where their access ends. :div20:

Also, many of the groomed snowmobile trails on the Perry Stream Land and Timber property have been maintained and constructed by the ATV club. The ATV club could have saved a lot of money constructing those trails just for ATVs since ATVs don't need 14 foot wide trails and bridges. :div20: That is money the snowmobile club did not have to spend. :div20: The ATV club also allows the snowmobile club the use of its Rhino ATV, at no charge, to do preseason trail work and signing. :div20:

Hey, lets give it a try during this really bad snow year. If it fails miserably then it probably will not be allowed next year. :dunno:

If something is not done to keep the resorts and businesses viable here in Pittsburg; you won't have a place to stay to ride your snowmobile. When that happens the club collapses and their goes the grooming on the whole trail system.

Before you start digging your heels in and getting your back up; wait until you know what is being proposed. :banghead: Think of the big picture, not just your own selfish interests! :frech32:

p.s. Asphalt Jockey, this is not directed just at you. You just happened to be one of the first to start bashing this idea.

#16 ·
So would that include all of the roads that they are normaly allowed on?[/b]
They are only talking about the trails and roads on the Perry Stream Land and Timber property. Nothing else!

#17 ·
I ride both. But right now I'm not up in the Pittsburg area spending my money. If the trails were open to ATV's, I would be. And then, when there was groomable, good-riding snow, I'd be on my sled. It seems like a way to keep money flowing in, at least some reservations from being cancelled, and a good compromise.

#18 ·
I ride both. But right now I'm not up in the Pittsburg area spending my money. If the trails were open to ATV's, I would be. And then, when there was groomable, good-riding snow, I'd be on my sled. It seems like a way to keep money flowing in, at least some reservations from being cancelled, and a good compromise.[/b]
Thats the way I see it, Will go up and atv , if it snows , I will bring sled instaed of 4 wheeler. Either way I will need food, gas , a place to stay , right now Im not spending anything up there.

#19 ·
Wether or not the trails are shared in a small area of the system with ATV's, and it works or not, the snowmobile club will lose just by the perceivedalliance in some of our lease holders eyes. I have no problem with ATV's, but I personally dont think it is either the time or the place, for short term gains with local business. Hundreds of leases keep our system together and many of those lease holders have extremely negative feelings about ATV's, formed by damage to property from abuse. :frech32: If they even think that the division between the snowmobile and ATV community is fading, we will lose some of these important land owners. :banghead:

pathfinder58 :cn:

#21 ·
I have to agree. I am a dirtbike/atv rider,[/b]
Also it doesnt or wouldnt apply to dirtbikes, for some reason dirtbikes are discriminated against on the northern OHRV trail systems. We pay to register, same as a 4 wheeler does. Yet you cant find a place to ride your bike(legally), even on the supposed ATV trails, go figure. Now when you start doing things like this, less and less people are going to want to go up to the beautiful North Country. That doesnt bode well for the economy. No offense, but I think you should cater to all people and if you don't, you get what you deserve. Maine, the way it should be!!!

#22 ·
Wether or not the trails are shared in a small area of the system with ATV's, and it works or not, the snowmobile club will lose just by the perceivedalliance in some of our lease holders eyes. I have no problem with ATV's, but I personally dont think it is either the time or the place, for short term gains with local business. Hundreds of leases keep our system together and many of those lease holders have extremely negative feelings about ATV's, formed by damage to property from abuse. :frech32: If they even think that the division between the snowmobile and ATV community is fading, we will lose some of these important land owners. :banghead:

pathfinder58 :cn:[/b]
Pathfinder58, you may be right; but as long as the ATVs are not on their property why should they care? :dunno: The ATV Club is not proposing to allow ATVs anywhere a landowner does not want them. Isn't it extremely stupid to not allow snowmobiles on your property because some other landowner allows ATVs on theirs? This is absolutly the dumbist reasoning I have ever heard! :banghead:

There are many factions out there, that have been very sussessful in dirving a wedge between the snowmobile and atv communities. :frech32: The last thing they want is to have the motorized OHRV users cooperating with one another. :div20:

Let the FLAMES BEGIN! :flame: :flame:

#23 ·
Most everything is based on history, also known as presedence, I feel once the door is opened to this bad idea it will be harder than ever to get rid of it! I understant the part about you having a good working relationship with the local atv club, but from experience, I don't feel the 2 types of motorsports go together well. I snowmobile extensivly in Quebec, and can say with experience the trail damage from atv use is great! The atv clubs in Quebec either own their own grooming equipment or pay the snowmobile club to groom their trails.
If the atv club wants 6 to 10 miles of trails to ride in the winter...break those miles off from the snowmobile trails and let them have them...it's the mix of the two that I object to! Atv's have a hard time going along without swerving in snow conditions...making them a hazzard to anyone around them! We are all aware of the dangers posed when we pass slower vehicles on our trails! Atv's on snow are slow!

I feel that money from snowmobile grant in aid or private funds donated to groom snowmobile trails should not go to grooming atv trails.
In Quebec, I try not to snowmobile where there is a lot of atv traffic, and can easily add areas to my list. I'm quite sure others do...or will...share my opinions!

#26 ·
Doe's the GNW ATV club receive any grant in aid money? And if so what is it used for?[/b]
Yes they do and it is used to construct and maintain the ATV trails which in the wintertime some are used by the snowmbile club.

The ATV club's annual budget is running around $30,000 to $40,000 per year. This money is spent on culverts, excavation (i.e. ditches and installing culverts and bridges), trail filling and grading, signing, etc... Also, some is spent on equipment and equipment maintenance such as the club Rhino ATV and trail construction equipment like saws, brush cutters, etc...

p.s. I forgot to mention that the club maintains approximately 90 miles of ATV trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.