Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike C,

I decided to start a different post instead of keeping this topic that we are talking about in the "Letter from AC topic since it really doesn't have anything to do with that topic....

You know, that description that you give about the ' small bell ringing' is EXACTLY what happened to me on my 02 ZR800CC with 1900 miles and then the rope was stuck out and wouldn't recoil. That happened on my last ride of the season(March 18th).....well, it didn't have to be my last ride if AC would have had parts in stock. I actually didn't get the sled back from the dealer for this repair until June 15th because of BO parts... 3 months!!

I was probably 80 miles from home when we stopped, I went to start my sled and that was it, the rope was stuck out. I used the emergency start strap to start it and simply didn't shuy it off untill I was on the trailer. I recall right at the very end I started to experience hesitation, spitting and sputtering/cutting out of the engine and tachometer and electrical issuses. Well, it ended up being a bad recoil but that was the least of the problem....because the recoil mounting nut backed off/came loose it took everything in that area out....stator, ignition pick-up sensor, & flywheel, all of which are VERY EXPENSIVE items if it would not have been under factory warranty.

I guess that is why I am a bit paranoid about my F7(1200 miles) rope ocasionaly not re-coiling all the way back in and now if there does happen to be a problem it will no longer be under warranty because I will not know until next season!!
-John

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just pull the recoil ,remove nut ,add loctite & reassemble.You can also stake the threads gently with a chisel if you want to be sure.

·
Registered
726 Posts
can you drill a hole through the bolt, and put a pin through it? just like the bolt that holds the skis on, at the end, there`s a pin, which won`t let the nut come off.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I never had any problem with the sled itself. In-fact. I only noticed that my rope was hanging next to me, after I had gone WOT across a lake for a couple of miles. I just put the rest of the rope in my windshield bag the rest of the day, and used my friend's emergency pull rope when I had to start it.

I am supposed to get the sled back sometime this week, but it is my guess that the spring broke.

I had posted that I had this problem a while back.

See here: http://www.firecat.info/index.php?act=ST&f...&t=7038&hl=rope

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Mike,
I had the same thing happen to me, right after they had replaced
the frayed rope. I rode a couple days and suddenly I have this rope
flying around my head like a scarf. It was the recoil spring that had
broke.

Mike

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah, they replaced my frayed rope too, but that was in January I think, so I made it all the way to March before it backed out on me. I am just lucky it didn't get wound up in the track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts