Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that's lost the large gold 1 1/2" nut on the right/mag side of the rear axle? I thought I heard of someone else that lost theirs a month ago or so. Just HOW in the world does Cat expect those nuts to stay in place??? No lock washer, no nylock, no set screw... I don't think there was even any loctite on it. Before my trip up north this past weekend, I mad DAMN sure it was on as tight as I could reasonably get it with the supplied wrench in the tool bag. I even went so far as to wrap a ring of wire around the few visible threads of the shaft, just in case the nut worked it's way loose so it wouldn't fall off. Well, if anyone's ridin' in the U.P the next few days, keep an eye out for mine will ya'?! I didn't have any problems running the sled with it missing, as I don't think anything is going anywhere, but I'm going to take a good close look at things tonight to make sure everything is OK. Without that nut locking the rear idler assembly, I imagine it's quite possible for the rear idler bearing bushings to be too loose and sloppy, thus letting the idler bearings spin on the shaft??? We'll see.

Anyway, take a look to make sure yours is still there, and you just MIGHT want to get the tool outta' the bag and make darn sure that nut is on as tight as you can get it. -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. Anyone have any good, simple, effective ideas to keep my next (warrantied???) nut on?! Thanks! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What i would have done if i was a CAT engineer:

1. Drill a hole all the way through the shaft.
2. Insert coter pin. Availabe at your local ace hardware store for 31 cents.
3. bend end of the cotter bin so it doesn't come out.
4. have a miller lite. Note: make sure you do this as your last step and not your first. You may not be able to follow the instructions as well. Im not responsible if your 5th step is to go drive your sled after doing step 4.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I agree with ditch jumper. If you are really concerned drill a tiny hole in the shaft and put a cotter pin in it. Even if the nut comes loose it won't fall off. You would hate to have a nut fall off. :p
Cat S.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you put red locktite on a nut that big, good luck getting it off with that wrench in the tool kit when you adjust your track.Just something to think about!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think I saw some squirrels on the trail carrying away your nut... :lol:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree that the nut will not come off easy with red loctite, probably a propane torch with a little heat would be the ticket, but it sure beats ruining a trip over something stupid like an axle nut. I go through my whole suspension and loctite the fittings and have never had a problem since. It always comes apart when I need it to.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Originally posted by czy42strokes@Jan 8 2003, 10:11 PM
I think I saw some squirrels on the trail carrying away your nut... :lol:
thats a good one :lol: :lol: i just did mine on the trailer / heading off to canada 5am ! i driled a small hole and put a cotter pin in it :D thanks guys

·
Registered
544 Posts
i bought the 4 wheel kit and track adjuster kit from BMagic.... the 4 wheel kit hasn't showed up yet... I really dont like the plastic graphite or whatever it is parts... I always had problems with that end.. :angry: so i like to make sure it will hold up to some abuse

the drill hole put cotter pin loctite sounds good....

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I picked up my sled this fall, the first thing I did is order an extra nut from the dealer. If that nut ever falls off and you are no where near a Cat dealer, your screwed. I keep it in my tool kit.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King@Jan 9 2003, 01:29 PM
don't have the sled in front of me...but couldn't you double nut it?
Mine doesn't have enough threads showing to double nut. Barely enough to drill a hole for a pin either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Put the sled on a stand and pass the handle of that wrench through a window in the track. The track will turn as you torqe that nut down. Or get a 1 1/2 '' socket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts