Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,822 Posts
oh, fine, so our login data has potentially been compromised for half a year already..? :c-n:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
WTF

What a f#%king joke. I've spent several hours over the last few days trying to get logged back on to this site. I CANNOT BELIEVE the password requirements. Who's brilliant idea was it to move forward with this? 10 characters with letters number symbols, REALLY. Who in the world is going to REMEMBER their password???? The most recent study showed that allowing users to choose their passwords was FAR MORE secure than these requriments. Why? People write them down... save them in email messages etc.

I couldn't even create a new user name or send the Admin a message because of the damn Progressive commercial used to verify i'm a human!!!

Wonder how many other members are going to run into the same thing?

BTW - I'm using the temporary password you sent to me. It's only 8 characters and contains NO symbols. Ironic, huh?

On a lighter note.. during my frustration, i came upon this:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
So I went to change my email to my current one... after days of trying to get ahold of them and trying to contact mods here, but I couldn't cuz I eded to be logged in. turns out it already was my current email. I never got an email from them. I checked all my spam and other folders. Nothing. Never got any response from them from my 3 previous emails either. What a joke. They aren't trying. Many members aren't getting any email even if it is their current email. Good job....

·
Registered
702 Posts
Click on "User CP" top center of the page
Under "Settings & Options" Click "Edit Email & Password"
Enter Current Password
Enter New Password
Confirm New Password
Click "Save Changes"
Just an FYI...the PW reset interface (gui) is flakey here on HCS.
I just went through the pw reset on another forum (Camaros.net) and the PW interface worked fine. Enter your old pw, enter your new pw and as you meet the PW requirements, the 'X' goes to a check mark. enter your new pw again in the confirm field, hit save and your good.

Here, the 'X's don't change, and the save button is not activated. What I had to do was enter everything, erase the new pw in the confirm field. This then changed the 'X's to check marks. enter my new pw again in the confirm field and hit the save button (which became active when I did the erase mentioned above)

Your results may vary.

Tuning a Tilliston carburetor is easier than the PW reset on this site.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
After trying to reset mine about 10 times I finally realized all I had to add was a symbol to my new PW to activate the reset button then it worked

X

·
0 Posts
I would sure love it if anyone could help me get logged with my previous username "X2freeride" I've tried following the process at the top of the forum to no avail. I setup my account with an old hotmail account and I no longer have access to that account so i cannot get logged in as X2freeride. I am also unable to use my gmail account because the form says its not recognized. Can any moderators or Administrators help me?

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,700 Posts
I would sure love it if anyone could help me get logged with my previous username "X2freeride" I've tried following the process at the top of the forum to no avail. I setup my account with an old hotmail account and I no longer have access to that account so i cannot get logged in as X2freeride. I am also unable to use my gmail account because the form says its not recognized. Can any moderators or Administrators help me?

You're good to go now Mark, check your P.M. for x2freeride account......... :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
23,700 Posts
Just an FYI...the PW reset interface (gui) is flakey here on HCS.
I just went through the pw reset on another forum (Camaros.net) and the PW interface worked fine. Enter your old pw, enter your new pw and as you meet the PW requirements, the 'X' goes to a check mark. enter your new pw again in the confirm field, hit save and your good.

Here, the 'X's don't change, and the save button is not activated. What I had to do was enter everything, erase the new pw in the confirm field. This then changed the 'X's to check marks. enter my new pw again in the confirm field and hit the save button (which became active when I did the erase mentioned above)

Your results may vary.

Tuning a Tilliston carburetor is easier than the PW reset on this site.:thumbsup:
After trying to reset mine about 10 times I finally realized all I had to add was a symbol to my new PW to activate the reset button then it worked

Just a thought, but some members use an Ad Blocker when viewing certain sites, you might have to turn the Ad Blocker off before the software will allow you to enter your password. I had problems resetting my password until I turned my Ad Blocker off, here's a screen shot of what you should see when changing your password.

When changing your Email address if it is already being used the software will not allow you to use the same Email address twice on here so you might have to enter a different Email address for your account.

View attachment 1687369

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
bit fuckin ridiculous, capital, 10 characters, and a symbol? jesus fuck. My credit cards, and bank logins don't even require that shit.

N

·
0 Posts
I'm going to try to reach out to the moderators here in an effort to get this resolved before I start doing a direct PM to all of them.

My Original screen name is 99_XC600 and I've gone through the PW reset process about 50 times. Every time I click on the link in the received e-mail. It states that the email referenced is invalid and PW can not be reset.

I've gone through the "Contact Us" option and submitted that request about 5 times as well and the requests go unanswered.

I have a feeling the root issue is that the PW reset process is looking for the ORIGINAL e-mail address that was used to register the account. Which for me is an old Verizon.com address (Which I no Longer have access too)

Even though my current account (99_XC600) is currently registered with my charter.com address. The verification portion still fails.

Since there is no way to contact the Mods and Admins directly without signing in first, I had no option to create a dummy account in order to get this fixed.

Please help. :)

·
Administrator
23,700 Posts
Here ya go,

Hey Guys,

I just want to post here to shed a little more light on the situation, at least as much as we can provide at the moment.

A 3rd party plugin that we and other networks use had it's developers' compromised. Their DB was breached and data was scraped. I can't ID the plugin as it's under legal investigation. However I can say that it had access to user data because it functions separately from the vb software. Many plugins do this, chats, news letters, mobile apps etc. This is not an active breach, however as a precaution we did initiate security updates including password changes and new pass requirements.

Their system was compromised and they grabbed user data for us and thousands of others.
We cleared our part of the breach and went this route to further security.
This is also in place as many members on the internet use the same or similar passwords across all things they use.

Hackers who have access to these accounts, may be able to access other platforms where the same email and/or passwords are used.
Other platforms have been compromised as well, including Twitter, Linkedin etc. We are just trying to get ahead of this, and nip it in the bud as soon as possible.

We cannot go into detail at the moment as it is being dealt with on a legal level.

Though this breech happened in Feb, we were not notified until very recently, and acted on it once were. We worked hard to find a solution for this mess, and implemented it as soon as we could. Though it may not be ideal in some eyes, it is the best we have access to ATM.
Once the storm settles we may look into other methods for our security, but right now we ask that you be patient with us.

As for us not responding to members, you have to understand our community support team watches over many sites. Luckily this week and last, we have had many members from other teams offer help. With that said all emails sent to our Contact Us email will be dealt with. Granted, it may take a little time for us to get to all of them, but please be patient with us as we are working really hard to catch up and help everyone.

If there are any other questions/concerns/feedback, please feel free to post them here.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Richard.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This was reported 4 weeks ago:

45m passwords stolen from over 1,100 VerticalScope forums

and this only came today. Thanks VerticalScope! :mad:

Notice of Data Breach

You may have heard reports recently about a security issue involving VerticalScope. We would like to make sure you have the facts about what happened, what information was involved, and the steps we are taking to help protect you. VerticalScope owns and operates a number of community websites. You are receiving this email because you are a registered user of the following community website(s) involved in the data breach:

{redacted}

What Happened?

On June 13, 2016, we became aware that February 2016 data stolen from VerticalScope was being made available online.

What Information Was Involved?

Community member usernames, email addresses, hashed passwords, community userIDS, community website, and the IP address the username originally registered with.

What We Are Doing

We have invalidated passwords of all VerticalScope user accounts. We have posted a site security notification on each site updating users on the potential risk to certain accounts, the password reset and steps we are implementing to improve security. We have implemented stronger password rules (passwords now require a minimum of 10+ characters and a mixture of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols) along with automated account password expiries to encourage more frequent password changes. We will remind our users to use good password practices (not using the same password for multiple online accounts and using unique strong passwords). We are in the process of implementing additional safeguards to detect, alert and mitigate any future brute force attempts, and have notified our third party vendors that interact with our various forum API's of the February breach to allow their own security teams to investigate. We are continuing our investigation and will be collecting information to provide to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.

VerticalScope is taking steps to strengthen account security. We were already using encrypted passwords and salted hashes to store passwords, and our new password controls are intended to further strengthen user security. We are taking steps to investigate and test new encryption and security technologies to further protect our users.

What You Can Do

To keep your account as safe as possible, we recommend that you regularly change your VerticalScope community password, and that you use a unique password for each of your online accounts. Using the same password for multiple online accounts significantly increases your chances of being compromised. Even though the passwords stolen in February were hashed, we recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your VerticalScope community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts. We encourage you to regularly review your accounts and report any suspicious or unrecognized activity immediately.

For More Information

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Community Management team by email at [email protected] or on the website that you frequent. A support thread has been created on each website, and our support teams are on there to help you through the process and answer any questions you may have. A Notice of Data Breach is also available on community websites involved in the data breach.

This email was sent by VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 700, Toronto, ON, M5V2H1. If you have any questions regarding the communications you receive from us, please contact us.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm back--for 24 hrs anyways. Tried to reset my password to no avail.. The one I received is Bullshit.. I can't even comprehend it to rytype it correctly,lol... We will see.. I thik someone needs to start a new snowmobile site, lol

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Please tell people if they have a ad blocker they will need to turn it off or get rid of it before you can reset password. This took me a hour pissing around with this.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts