Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get back into snowmobiling after being out of it for 20 some years. The last sled I drove was a mid 70's Ski-Doo 440 free air. It was a lot of fun but mind you I was 8 years old at the time. Anyway, I have been wanting to get back into the sport for a while. Being semi brand loyal I always planned on getting a Doo. However, I am not overly happy with the REV. And after checking out the new Yamaha line up I am pretty much sold on making the jump. I need a sled that I am going to be primarly hitting the trails in Northern Wiscosin and the U.P. I also would like to have the option of being able to adjust my sitting position some. I am 6' 2" 240 and I dont plan on ridding forward all the time. Also it needs to have enough seat room that I can let my 6 year old boy jump on sometimes as well. From what I can tell it seems like the Attak was a pretty good fit as a showroom rider but how is it on the trail? Anyother suggestions, comments, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 04' warrior which is similiar to the attack but without the rider forward. It is a nice sled and does give you more seating positions. And if your kid is small enough u could both fit on.
None the less I am lucky enough to keep this sled as my back-up/Friends and have a new apex GT coming....
Also the attack is designed for more off trail use....if you are only going to stay on trails you wont be maximizing the sleds potential, but if having your kid on is real important, then maybe a two up touring model....
Either way you will enjoy!

·
Registered
21,067 Posts
when i was at the ride with apex and attack most people perferd the attack over the apex. It seemed better suited for the power.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Get a standard APEX, APEX GT, or apex RTX..

I had two RXWARRIORS over the past two years.. the long track has more push and weight than that of the shorter versions.. Nothing you ever do to the sled will make up for the added traction of the long track pushing you threw corners..

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I don't think you will go wrong with the Apex or Attak. I'm not sure the Attak seat is any longer. I am getting an Apex GT and my 4 yr old daughter will be logging a lot of miles this winter on it with me. At her age I put her up front so I can hold on to her myself when needed. I may even mount handles for her to hold on to. Last year I wasn't sure that she'd like riding but once she got on she wouldn't get off.

The Attak has a new skid so it may not be fair to compare it to Warriors regarding pushing through the corners. A lot of guys who test rode the Attaks perfered them over the Apex's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was undecided between the attack and the apex RTX for some time. I do more rough trail riding and jumping then deep snow and hill climbs. I would go with the apex for the better trail ride:)

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Originally posted by Fast_Eddy@Oct 20 2005, 03:54 PM
I was undecided between the attack and the apex RTX for some time. I do more rough trail riding and jumping then deep snow and hill climbs. I would go with the apex for the better trail ride:)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=943582
[/quote]Who the hell said it was going to ride better than the attak?? No way does it ride better the ones i tested even turned better than the apex we had.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Originally posted by mnmsnowbeast@Oct 21 2005, 05:24 PM
Who the hell said it was going to ride better than the attak?? No way does it ride better the ones i tested even turned better than the apex we had.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=946228
[/quote]

I'm sure the Attak will ride better than the Apex in certain conditions but to say it turned better doesn't seem right. When you say a long track version of a sled handles better than a short track version of the same sled then I would say there was something wrong with the way the short track was setup. There is no way a longtrack will out handle it's short track counter part, it's not very likely if not impossible. It's geometry, less track to turn, less pushing in corners. The Apex should feel much easier to handle in tight trails than the Attak, if it doesn't then Yamaha did a great job with the Attak but if the Attak outhandles the Apex then Yamaha really screwed up the Apex!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I thought the 136" track on the Attack was a better match for the motor, also it should help bridge the bumps when it get's nasty.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Originally posted by jds800Rev@Oct 21 2005, 07:12 PM
I'm sure the Attak will ride better than the Apex in certain conditions but to say it turned better doesn't seem right. When you say a long track version of a sled handles better than a short track version of the same sled then I would say there was something wrong with the way the short track was setup. There is no way a longtrack will out handle it's short track counter part, it's not very likely if not impossible. It's geometry, less track to turn, less pushing in corners. The Apex should feel much easier to handle in tight trails than the Attak, if it doesn't then Yamaha did a great job with the Attak but if the Attak outhandles the Apex then Yamaha really screwed up the Apex!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=946452
[/quote]
Well thats what i thought too,i had the gt all ordered until i rode both sleds side by side comparions,in wet snow no contest the attak just out shined it all day,it was not just one ride we tested them most of the day,back to back with rx warrios,rage vectors rx1s apex and attak,and i was not the only one to find out this new attak is not your old warrior or any long track that i have ever ridden,now i was 250# plus last winter and the short track made me feel like i was back on my old 97 zr580 or my xc800 one ski up in the air as you ride it thru the turns,not for me,but you are 100% right it should not felt better than a short track thru the turns,but it did and i now have it home w/a pair of fox floats on,and my boy has his rtx right beside it,so we shale know shortly which one out handles the other..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts