Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Switchback Assault 800
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 switchback assault that I am considering turning into a speed machine. Nothing crazy as I am not going to do any big bore kits or anything the sled is completely stock right now. Here is what I am considering, if anyone has any tips please comment.
I already have ricks clutching.
Slp pipe and can
Slp head
144" x 14" hacksaw 1" track with stud boy studs and pro backers
Iq chain tensioner
What else? What gearing would I need going from 1.6" to 1" track?
Big wheel kit?
Ceramic bearings?
Drivers?

·
Vendor
10,353 Posts
bigger drivers, big wheel kit rear, vespal sliders, ceramic bearing do make a big difference. 2 degree timing key but run 95 plus octane fuel. torco octane boost or klotz hytrate. or mix some race fuel/pump gas. gearing will have to be tested. but something like 1.68 ratio. run the biggest bottom sprocket you can run.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,356 Posts
Loose weight, lower the sled, lower the handle bars, track tension, track alignment, belt alignment & center to center, belt to sheave clearance

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Loose weight, lower the sled, lower the handle bars, track tension, track alignment, belt alignment & center to center, belt to sheave clearance
Yup, this where the speed be found.

Don’t buy into the wheels/drivers crap. I saw a stock wheel/driver 2.86 pitch 850 have more top speed then a big wheel/driver 2.52 850 last weekend racing.
I don’t see the need for any extra octane either, the 800ho runs great on 91 non ethanol even with extra ignition timing. Just make sure your AFR is correct.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a different post but the same concept question. Anyone try shortening the front limiter strap a bit to get a better angle on the rails for more top-end?

·
Registered
Switchback Assault 800
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to stay with pump gas. I'm not going to do 95 octane. But thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
If those backers your talking about are the plastic ones the studs screw into. Stay away from them. Straight up trash penetration destroyers. They look ok and that’s about it. Are you serious about going faster or quicker or is this a trail sled also. If it’s not a trail sled I’d lower it a lot. Get rid of factory protections and fix the inputs. If I really wanted to go fast I’d have a jackshaft machined to take an old button clutch as long as it would fit

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
If those backers your talking about are the plastic ones the studs screw into. Stay away from them. Straight up trash penetration destroyers. They look ok and that’s about it. Are you serious about going faster or quicker or is this a trail sled also. If it’s not a trail sled I’d lower it a lot. Get rid of factory protections and fix the inputs. If I really wanted to go fast I’d have a jackshaft machined to take an old button clutch as long as it would fit
I run those backers, they don’t work great on ice but in snow I like them.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
We were running into trouble hooking up buddies sled in Very hard pack. Ditched those backers kept same studs and hook up was a lot better. Ultimately switched to triggers. Same with another buddy got rid of those backers and sled hooked much better. Seems as soon as the track cleared the looser snow away those backers would hit the real hard stuff and keep the stud from going in more than what was above the backer . We were resistant to getting rid of them because in therory they made good scoops but just did t pan out for us here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 switchback assault that I am considering turning into a speed machine. Nothing crazy as I am not going to do any big bore kits or anything the sled is completely stock right now. Here is what I am considering, if anyone has any tips please comment.
I already have ricks clutching.
Slp pipe and can
Slp head
144" x 14" hacksaw 1" track with stud boy studs and pro backers
Iq chain tensioner
What else? What gearing would I need going from 1.6" to 1" track?
Big wheel kit?
Ceramic bearings?

·
Vendor
10,353 Posts
Yup, this where the speed be found.

Don’t buy into the wheels/drivers crap. I saw a stock wheel/driver 2.86 pitch 850 have more top speed then a big wheel/driver 2.52 850 last weekend racing.
I don’t see the need for any extra octane either, the 800ho runs great on 91 non ethanol even with extra ignition timing. Just make sure your AFR is correct.
that's funny the sleds that won at the jerry rice race's last winter all had bigger wheels/drivers? and didn't dr. not a doo go to the weinnie roast and spank everything there with a big wheel/driver sled? pretty sure he did. was witnessed by a customer of ours. and a few of our clutched sleds ran right behind it. and he had some terra alps mod's?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
that's funny the sleds that won at the jerry rice race's last winter all had bigger wheels/drivers? and didn't dr. not a doo go to the weinnie roast and spank everything there with a big wheel/driver sled? pretty sure he did. was witnessed by a customer of ours. and a few of our clutched sleds ran right behind it. and he had some terra alps mod's?
Once again you’re spreading bs Rick.. dr not a doo has never even been to the weenie roast. If your talking st germain then yeah his 850 was the fastest 850 there but he has way more done to that sled then just big drivers and wheels. If you had customers there racing then they were getting beat by my 800.
Have you even tested bigger drivers and wheels back to back with stock?

·
Vendor
10,353 Posts
not sure where it was? thought it was the weenie roast? not what the drag racer told me from N.D.? said it was dr. then one of our sleds right on him. no one else close? don't know why the guy would lie? and pretty funny he has purchase a number of clutch kits and parts from us? kind of make me think he though our clutch kit sled was really impressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts