Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain the differences (pros/cons) to the available shock options when adding accessories to the build?

Fox vs hi/lo WE up front and what is a "crossover" front and rear track shock?

·
Registered
103 Posts
x 3 , and are the hi low the same as the high low VELOCITY shocks found on the xcr?
hi/lo are the same as the XCR pro xc (bailer) skid shocks, not the same as the velocities on the INDY XCR. from what I understand the crossover shocks are similar to what are on RMK's so more off trail. Fox shocks i believe are air charged in some way too, but may be the best out there?
i too would love to hear what upgrades for suspesion are best.

Lenn's setup for the rear skid seems to be praised by all, thats what i'm doing if I order an Assault for 2020.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hi/lo’s on ifs and fts and velocity hi/lo on rts with lighter torsion springs and it out rides my Indy. Not sure it’s even an upgrade for the two track shocks for the crossover shocks. Just get the hi/lo ifs shocks and order accessory fts hi/lo and get a velocity with hi/lo right from walker Evans. No need for velocity up front imo. Polaris may actually offer the velocity as an accessory in catalog for 2020. Probably for another $50 over hi/lo’s.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi/lo’s on ifs and fts and velocity hi/lo on rts with lighter torsion springs and it out rides my Indy. Not sure it’s even an upgrade for the two track shocks for the crossover shocks. Just get the hi/lo ifs shocks and order accessory fts hi/lo and get a velocity with hi/lo right from walker Evans. No need for velocity up front imo. Polaris may actually offer the velocity as an accessory in catalog for 2020. Probably for another $50 over hi/lo’s.
Can I ask how much you weigh? I'm around 180 and imagine that the 250+ crowd has a completely different riding experience than I do.

Had my sights on the Assault last year but went with the Indy when it came out. Comments like the bold are pointing me to a new sled for next year.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Can I ask how much you weigh? I'm around 180 and imagine that the 250+ crowd has a completely different riding experience than I do.

Had my sights on the Assault last year but went with the Indy when it came out. Comments like the bold are pointing me to a new sled for next year.
220 with gear.

·
Premium Member
2021 Matryx VR1 850 137 Storm
2,204 Posts
Crossover shocks are for off trail only. Don't order those or you will be disappointed by the harsh ride. The Fox QS3's will be MUCH better on the front than the stock OVER-DAMPENED WE needle shocks. Change out the FTS and RTS shocks to the Velocity shocks and install the lighter rear torsion springs, and the ride of the Assault will blow your mind! Everyone who has ridden my '18 Assault is surprised by how well it rides. It's a completely transformed sled now. Absolute blast to ride. Polaris needs to re-do their thinking about how to set up this sled. Believe me, I'm all over Nick about this. He's been sending my feedback to Polaris and they are well aware of what I've done. Just too late this season to fix the production units for 2020. At least he got them to offer the Fox QS3's for the front!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Crossover shocks are for off trail only. Don't order those or you will be disappointed by the harsh ride. The Fox QS3's will be MUCH better on the front than the stock OVER-DAMPENED WE needle shocks. Change out the FTS and RTS shocks to the Velocity shocks and install the lighter rear torsion springs, and the ride of the Assault will blow your mind! Everyone who has ridden my '18 Assault is surprised by how well it rides. It's a completely transformed sled now. Absolute blast to ride. Polaris needs to re-do their thinking about how to set up this sled. Believe me, I'm all over Nick about this. He's been sending my feedback to Polaris and they are well aware of what I've done. Just too late this season to fix the production units for 2020. At least he got them to offer the Fox QS3's for the front!
Lenn, I'm thinking of snow checking an Assault, I weigh around 300 with gear, how would you recommend setting it up? I probably do 80/20 Trail/off.

·
Registered
43 Posts

How do the QS3 fronts compare to the velocity ifs shocks you have now?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Lenn curious how your shock setup effects jumping. The Assault really wants to fly skis up ass down and not level without working it. While this is fun over littler stuff, it is the opposite on bigger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a rear shock (hi/lo compression) and lighter springs for sale. This set up works great. I have a XCR snow checked and sold the Assaut. 350.00 for the set up

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
515 Posts
Your best option may be taking your current shocks to a reputable builder and get them rebuilt and set up for your weight and riding style.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,498 Posts
I had the Lenn setup on my 20 assault and it was awesome! XCR 2.0 Velocity shock and lightweight torsion spring. Amazing ride and big bump capability. The post above for $350 is a deal!

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Assault 800, 2016 SkiDoo MXZ-X 800
52 Posts
Hoping I can score the setup from @ktmkid as I've tried 3 times this summer calling Walker Evans to get the "Iron Dog" Velocity w/ hi/lo compression and 2" shock body RTS shock and no one's called back. Wish WE had a specific part number for the setup.

Out of curiosity what's the latest recommendation for FTS, just a velocity or get hi/lo adjust 2" XCR type shock as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hoping I can score the setup from @ktmkid as I've tried 3 times this summer calling Walker Evans to get the "Iron Dog" Velocity w/ hi/lo compression and 2" shock body RTS shock and no one's called back. Wish WE had a specific part number for the setup.

Out of curiosity what's the latest recommendation for FTS, just a velocity or get hi/lo adjust 2" XCR type shock as well?

Sorry about the slow reply.. txt me 61663377 nine5. Haven’t been on the site for a couple days.

·
Registered
645 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, Emailed WE back in late spring and they were very short, saying that there were long lead times. I asked if I could get on a wait list, and radio silence; thinking about emailing again now. After a couple of month's wait last winter, I got the XCR Hi/Lo FTS from my dealer, great deal and nice piece. Also got the multi-rate spring from Hygear.

Can you gentlemen confirm, that the RTS length is the same between Axys SBA and '21 Axys XCR, thus we could order the XCR RTS from the dealer and it is a 2" Hi/Lo Velocity?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, Emailed WE back in late spring and they were very short, saying that there were long lead times. I asked if I could get on a wait list, and radio silence; thinking about emailing again now. After a couple of month's wait last winter, I got the XCR Hi/Lo FTS from my dealer, great deal and nice piece. Also got the multi-rate spring from Hygear.

Can you gentlemen confirm, that the RTS length is the same between Axys SBA and '21 Axys XCR, thus we could order the XCR RTS from the dealer and it is a 2" Hi/Lo Velocity?
Did you get shock figured out? I have 2 hanging on my wall waiting for sleds to come in. I can get you part number or can order you a shock. Mine came pretty quick.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Did you get shock figured out? I have 2 hanging on my wall waiting for sleds to come in. I can get you part number or can order you a shock. Mine came pretty quick.
Thanks Tuner for checking-in, I emailed WE again 10 days or so ago and radio silence. Could you forward the Part Number(s) of what you bought and what exactly the shock is? My dealer takes good care of me, so I'll order it thru them, Thank you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts