Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 99 ZL 600 EFI for my girlfriend and I was just wondering what you guys think of them? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
I have one with 7500 miles on it. It has been a good sled. The only issue I have had with the sled is the engine. You have to put pistons in it every 3500-4000 miles or else you are looking at a piston failure. It rides good and handles good. It will get about 10-12 mpg when riding it like sane person. If you hold the thing wide open all the time it will get 8-10. Other than that it has been an excellent sled for me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I won't have the sled that long so I don't have to worry about that. The sled has 1800 miles on it, my dealers mechnic owned it for his wife since brand new so I know its been maintained properly. He want's $2500 for it which I think is a good deal. What do you think?

·
Registered
524 Posts
price seems ok since it was mainly driven by a woman, maintained by a dealer and has low miles... as long as the sled is in good condition and has never been wrecked.
i would just make sure the track is in good condition. also may want to ask him to throw in new belt/plugs and maybe studs if it doesn't already have them.
good luck

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice edsled. The sled looks like it just acme out of the box and has never been in any kind of accident. The sled also does have 96 studs in good condition and the track is in great condition also. I always buy brand new Sno-Pros so I appreciate the advise on this. My girlfriend wants a "Green One" but she will be excited about anything I get her even if it is a black ZL.

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
If you get on the ground and look at the bulk head right under the secondary clutch is you will be able to tell if the sled was hammered. Mine is bent up pretty bad in that area on eithe side. If you do some maintnace on that sled, it will be a good one for you. Dont pay more than 2500 for that sled. You can get a used f5 for another 800 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I have been riding one since 99 I love the sled. Around 5000 miles. I just did pistons and rings and it still running great. :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Two different friends had the bearing behind the secondary go out between 4000 & 5000 miles but at 1700 that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another note on the bearings going out, you'll know it when it happens, the speedo will stop working. Besides that, good sled. Mine has 4800 miles on it, with no issues. Keep up on the clutch and it'll save you some money. ~500 - 800 miles; you should change the bushings and pins that hold the primary weights in place (500 is wiser or you will go through weights / spiders). There inexpensive to change out, you just need a clutch puller.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advise guys. I am going to go pick it up Friday since it sounds like it will be a good sled. I will trade for a different sled before it hits 3000 miles anyway, I can't stand to see any more miles on the odometer even if it does run good, thats just the way I am. But thanks for the advise I really appreciate it. Think SNOW!

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
toddszr600 I forgot about that problem. Same thing happened to mine 6000 miles ago but I caught mine before it came apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts