Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about all the problems on here about the Firecats. The simple gas tank and steering recalls are not a bother. Its the DD blowing up, or brake rotor eating the belly pan, or the idler wheels falling apart, the pipes cracking, the water under the seat problems, gas tanks cracking near the tool kit, hoses rubbing on metal, over heating problems, clutch problems and the list goes on.

My question is are these isolated problems and I'm just reading about some problems some guys are having, or is there a larger problem with the Firecats. I expect brand bashing with a question like this. I can ignore that, I'm just wondering about real world experience.

Are there a lot of Firecat owners who have been happy with trouble free sleds?

Thanks in advance. ZR

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read about all the problems on here about the Firecats. The simple gas tank and steering recalls are not a bother. Its the DD blowing up, or brake rotor eating the belly pan, or the idler wheels falling apart, the pipes cracking, the water under the seat problems, gas tanks cracking near the tool kit, hoses rubbing on metal, over heating problems, clutch problems and the list goes on.

My question is are these isolated problems and I'm just reading about some problems some guys are having, or is there a larger problem with the Firecats. I expect brand bashing with a question like this. I can ignore that, I'm just wondering about real world experience.

Are there a lot of Firecat owners who have been happy with trouble free sleds?

Thanks in advance. ZR[/b]
i was skeptical at first but bought my first one last year its a 06 f7 snopro efi orange. 1700 trouble free miles and love it plus i think its probably the best looking sled on the trails.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe you have a valid point. This is the first year I have owned a firecat and I can honestly say that I am already considering selling it. I have been waiting for someone to speak up about all the problems that arctic cat has had with the firecat chassis. I can understand the 03's and 04's having a few problems and buggs need to be worked out of them just like buying a new model car, but arctic cat has had 4 years to work on these problems and they never seem to go away. If anything it seems like they just get worse. Typically the problems they have had with the chassis is minor, however if you have to bring it to the dealer and they are two weeks out for repairs this causes a huge frustration when it is 30 degrees out side and they are predicting 6-8" of snow and you have to wait two weeks to ride because the sled is in the shop fixing a service bulletin or a frickin recall.
I owned a ZR before this and quite honestly I would feel way more comfortable taking that on a 400 mile trip over the firecat.

I do have to admit they are sharp looking sleds on the trails and some have not had many problems with them .....YET

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
About 6000 miles on mine. Never once had a problem on the trail. Did a 1600 mile trip over 6 days last March (had about 4000 miles on the sled already) and not one problem.

They can be high maintenance and I've dealt with my fair share of issues in the garage. I've also brought it back to the dealer for a few warranty items but I've never lost ride time and never been stranded. Can't say that about my previous sleds.

Are they junk? No more than a lot of other current sleds. Look at problems they're having with the new XP's!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have 5,000 miles on my 04 F7 and never had a problem. Yes there were a few recalls but never missed any time on the snow.

Sled is wicked fast and ride was the best until the twinspar chasis came out. Going to run mine until 10,000 miles and by then hopefully Cat will have another light weight sled.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Owned mine since 04 (bought new). I love it ......BUT biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. Wrench on it as much as I ride it. :firecats_rule:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
yes their not the tuffest sled out their,, but really they are like a race car,,,, you need to tweek them hear and their,,, but I would have no worries buying another one,, and anyyear of them..

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
well i have almost 5000 miles on mine, it has NEVER let me down on the trail. it eats idler wheels due to the studs, i put zr wheels on and that problem was solved. still original gas tank and steering system on mine, niether has an issue so I'm not messing with it. i did find one hose that was rubbing on a screw under the skid plate but to be honest i had the same issue with my polaris with hoses rubbing on stuff and needing replacement. biggest thing i found was lots of loose hardware at 1500 miles, i simply put loc-tite on all that stuff and have had no issues. my polaris had just about as much shit come loose as this cat did so i dont see it as a "cat" issue just a sled issue in general, OEM should use more loc-tite to solve these issues...

the water under the seat issue is a simple fix, re-caulk the seam from the tunnel to the heat exchanger, maybe a 10 minute fix tops...

i have never missed a day of riding due to breakage with this sled. cant say that about my polaris.... in fact it let me down a few times on the trail in 5000 miles....

·
Registered
70 Posts
yup Nothing but problems for me.

Idler wheels eater
not revving right
recoil cover falling off

one f7 for sale includes two free bottles of loctite

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I got 2000 miles on my 05 F7 EFI DD 153 studs.So far it has been a great sled.Im still on the original 034 belt.I had to change 1 wheel.All recalls done before the 06 season.Every year I change the DD fluid.I cleaned the valves before the start of this season at 1600 miles use klotz.It still looks and drives great....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lots of routine maintance on the fcats if you dont like to wrench a little it is not the sled for you. In that said man are they a blast to ride. Plenty of power and handle well after you get rid of the stock skis and get them dialed in. Been happy with mine, but have had the same issuses as everyone else (idlers, loose stuff etc.) which I consider not a big deal. No major problems on mine and as 06f7sp said one of the best looking sleds on the trail. They look cocky and fast even sitting still! :firecats_rule:

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
4000 miles on my '03..........had a few problems.........oh well...........but this sled was way ahead of everything else when it came out. Cat had it tweaked to the edge.......and it kicked everything else's ass..........everybody else has finally caught up.........

The sled needed to be setup properly and maintained......a good dealer really made the difference..........

Still puts a smile on my face everytime I get on it.

Moved onto a Crossfire, which IMO is a refined F-cat.....got an even bigger smile now........

You can all keep the Twin Spar, its too heavy and to ugly for me............

·
Registered
126 Posts
We have two. F7 and F6. Both have been trouble free since we have owned them. Mine is an 06, so time will tell, but I love riding it. In the past (ZR600's) I have not looked forward to riding as much as I do now with my firecat.

I think with anything else, much of it depends on who the owner is and how much they take care of their sled. I have a friend that everything he owns is a wreck. Jet skis, jet boats, his car, etc. He complains about what pieces of crap they are, but he does not take care of or maintain anything. Then he has a teenage son that doesn't even know or is too lazy to put oil in anything. His toys are constantly in the shop.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
the only troubles i have with mine are owner inflicted.
they have some shortcomings but like said above...they were so far ahead of everything else, and tweaked right to the edge.
i think that the light weight came at a cost strength in the bulkhead.

do the upgrades, and stay on top of maintanence, and the Firecat will out-handle, out-accelerate, and out top-end most things built for five years on either side of it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ya, I don't like the look of the twin spar either. I can't help to much...have had 0 prob's but only 850 miles on it. It amazes me every time I get on it. I forget the power than I whack it and grin from ear to ear.Gcpw had it right on when he said they look cocky even standing still...they do!!!! I always do the reg. maint.,grease it,change oil,tighten rail and all bolts at the end of the year.I know personally a few other guys w/ 04's and no prob's...not even the rubbing coolant hose. YET. :smiley-faces7: love mine!!!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I liked my 03 despite the common problems that every body had with them including me.. It was funner then hell to ride and the looks of it were to die for.. fast frikken sled. put almost 6,000 miles on it. cat warrantied anything that was not a wear item no questions asked.. I rode it fast. couple of top end jobs, rewind rope,recoil bolts,1 pipe, idler wheels a couple times, 1 gas guage.. to tell ya the truth when I traded it in this fall, I'd say all the bugs were worked out of mine and probably has a lot of trouble free miles to be had on it now.. damn thing still looked like new, you could have never guessed the mileage by looking at it.

The only reason I traded it was because it wasn't rider forward..

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
It's like owning a Mopar. Not the best quality machine out there, spartan, doesn't really handle well and you need to do a little wrenching to keep it running.
Six years later the Fcat is still the undisputed leader in the 700 class and it became the benchmark of EFI speed.
The Hot Rod applications are endless F5, F6,F7,F8,F9,F10,F12.
Nothing in it's class runs with it and it's idiosycrocies make it an instant legend, just like a Mopar.
I love my F7 and I will continue to deal with the issues, It has not made me snowshoe home yet, always get there....

It's a high strung bitch, but it is sure good in bed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have two '04's, F7&F6, no problems other than the updates, had more issues with past Polaris and Yamaha's!!?? Chain cases on the Pol and carb Yamaha's would need new float needle every year!! I run Klotz only and replace my belts at 1000k just because? Have not had any issues to date with Idlers, loose parts, or bad hoses! Think you can have "issues" with every brand?? However my son had somewhat minor rollovers with two F7 sp and both were totals!!!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Just over 10,000 miles on two F-Cats only problem was a temp sensor on the F5 after 4500 miles, all updates were free and done pre-season. Everyone seem to think updates are a bad thing but other manufactures look the other way and let their customers pay. Not all but a lot of the problems you read about on here I feel are induced by the owner, they list off a number of mods then complain because its not running right.

Like any high performance machine you need to spend a little time every 1000 miles or so and check things out.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic Cat ZR 6000 RR
622 Posts
No issues with my F6, I love it. The only problem I have with the idler wheels is that the right rear one won't hold onto caps...but that's because I hit something that put a cut in the idler wheel and now there's no center cap. The dealer put a new one in this fall and it's gone again. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts