Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bad roller in the spider of my 07 M8s drive clutch and am looking at the options for getting it repaired. So far these are the options I see available to me:

#1 buy a new OEM Primary clutch ~400+
weights

#2 replace clutch with a CV Tech Power Bloc 80 and figure out the clutch tuning to match the Boondocker turbo ~$500

#3 buy the clutch holding tool, spider nut tool and aftermarket spider rebuild kit and rebuild my current clutch. I already have a home made spider tool from rebuilding the clutch on my polaris 850 atv~$250+

#4 look for a used clutch

If I buy a new OEM clutch should I get one for a newer m8? What route do you recommend?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pic of the sled I'm working on, thanks reading my long post

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have another option for you that may work. Laying in my shop I have a P85 machined and balanced that fit in a 2010/11 HighCountry. This clutch only has about a half season on it before that sled was sold. I don’t currently have any use for it. I’d let it go for $350 plus shipping. It was a brand new P85, machined by FTX also have a balanced starter ring for it too (over $1200 invested into this primary). The P85 solves the crappy spider that AC uses in their primary. PM me if you’re interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's an interesting option!

Couple questions:

Is it completely drop in? Correct belt width etc?

Did you have re shim your secondary to align the clutches?

How do you work out clutch tuning? I would have to get it setup for the boondocker turbo. It must be close, might even be able to re use the spring and just find the polaris p85 style weights that best match the weights that are in my sled. Or is it more of a guessing game?

Some back story of your experience would be great, why did you swap to the p85? Did you like its performance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a drop in setup, I have the machines primary bolt and a puller with it also. I don’t know the exact setup on this one, but was setup for a stock 800 at low elevation; heavier weights and stiffer spring than what I’d run at elevation (I’m guessing you will need more weight for the turbo setup, maybe a slightly stiffer spring). I do have some adjustable weights I’d do with the deal for $50 more. These weights are an older setup Bikeman used to make and allow heel, mid and tip weight.

I’ve set a few cats up with the P85. The ones I did really didn’t need any secondary adjustment. It uses the same belt as stock, no change there.

When I had more friends running cats, we did at least one a year with theP85 primary setup. The factory spider by AC is junk and always crack (still do). We have gotten a few apart to replace the spider, but it usually does it again and it’s a massive headache to replace. I’m pretty sure most shop policies are just replace primary with new. With a P85, maintenance is much easier and you can replace components. Also it’s quick to change weights for different elevation setups (at least quicker). Here’s a link to FTXs website who does the machining:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good!, im very interested in the p85 swap, im going to make a couple phone calls tomorrow to the companies involved and get there recommendations on calibrations. Ill shoot shoot you a pm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts