Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just breaking in a new T500. Wondering if anyone else has been riding this machine yet and their impressions. Would be good to share the good, bad and ugly

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm just breaking in a new T500. Wondering if anyone else has been riding this machine yet and their impressions. Would be good to share the good, bad and ugly[/b]

We have a new t500 about 900 mile on it now and we love it, my bother in law his wife and children where comeing home for the winter so I convinced my wife we get a new sled because I loved the look of them new cats. Well I first was going to by a new tz1 but after buying two new machines last year I just couldn't do it, any way backl to the t500 I also have a 2006 t660 turbo which I also love but compareing the two I like the t500 better heads up comparsion goes like this,

speed the t660 has just alittle bet more on top but down low very even
ride t500
handleing/steering no comparsion t500
and the biggest difference for me is the off trail riding in the depth snow the t500 is a monster.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hey there,
Just got my wife a T570, not as much power as the 500 liquid, but overall about the same ride.

She was nervous about how "high" it sat and how "big" it looked, I told her to ride it and after she did she says it is effortless to drive and absorbs anyhting she hit, unlike the old 02 Panther 570 which bounced her around. (even with a set of Fox shocks)

The only downside I see with this sled is the weight, it seems to have less zip than the 02 Panther 570... top speed so far is JUST over 65, no biggy for her, but this will suck if I wnat to use it to go hunting! LOL!

I've traded out the stock skis for powder pros, and installed some Zero Pro Fox shocks on the front, will upgrade the rear if there are issues there, but so far it is real good.

Love the removable seat, and the storage in the back, I installed studs and that was a huge help as well, made my own tunnel protectors and all seems well down there.

I'm anxious to get more time on the rig, we only have 6 hours so far, and just got RAINED on, so I hope the snow comes back so we can get out and enjoy the new T!

maybe there needs to be a "T" forum added here eh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the ergonomics sitting on the T500 EFI. I find with a long ride the upright and taller stance is much easier on my back and neck. The power in the midrange is great -accelerates fast, and had it up to ~ 75 mph no problem. Handles well on the trails, and is great in the deeper snow - so my buddies always have me trail blazing.

Only complaints so far: Acclerating off idle the engine seems a bit rough - like its running rich. Once I get it going at about 5000 rpm - smooths out. Had in in once for an adjustment. Dealer said throttle cable was not adjusted properly, but still some gurgling at lower rpm off idle. Anyone else experiencing this ? Unfortunately can't adjust myself with EFI - though wish I could like the carb ACs. Other minor issue is reverse lever takes some muscle to pull and lock in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get about 12-13 mpg -[/b]
Speaking of the 570, I raced my buddy on the lake the other day with his 570. WE can both get up to 8-, but the 500 is much quicker getting there.

Just wish could figure out how to smooth our acceleration off idle. Bakc to the dealer again I guess - but not sure he knows what he is doing on this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been reading other experiences and ran into several about low end bog with EFI AC models. This sounds a lot like what I get. The dealer said it is typical for there to be a rough spot with EFI. Though in one forum read that once the machine is idling, the exhaust pipe cools and the gas is richer - causing the bog on acceleration. Anyone else experiencing this ? Anyone get it resolved ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a new T500, havent got a chance to ride it yet. Got rained on. I done a lot of research before I decided to get the T500 and there was a couple small features that sold me on the T500 vs T570. Of course the extra HP, but also the 12v outlet and the passanger hand warmers, the only thing is she didnt come with them. Did you guys get the 12V outlet and passanger hand warmers with the T500??? Arctic Cat Web Site list them as standard equipment as do the Arctic Cat broshure. I got the dealer looking into it.

Tks
Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought a new T500, havent got a chance to ride it yet. Got rained on. I done a lot of research before I decided to get the T500 and there was a couple small features that sold me on the T500 vs T570. Of course the extra HP, but also the 12v outlet and the passanger hand warmers, the only thing is she didnt come with them. Did you guys get the 12V outlet and passanger hand warmers with the T500??? Arctic Cat Web Site list them as standard equipment as do the Arctic Cat broshure. I got the dealer looking into it.

Tks
Scott[/b]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Scott

Sled didn't come with 12V outlet, but I added my own using a powerlet plug on opposite side from the ignitiion key. Works great - holds tight, has waterproof cover.

Let me know how you like the machine - and whether you also get the low end bogging I've been hearing a lot about from other AC EFI owners. Mine is going back to dealer this weekend for another tune up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like snow this week. I will get to try my new T500. Sledman01 I will let you know how she runs. By the way did your T500 have the passanger hand warmers? Im going after the dealer. If it said comes with these options than she should have them, false advertizing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope - no handwarmers. You'll notice the flyer also shows mirrors - but this is an add-on as well. The dealer though told me came with mirrors, so he threw a pair in no charge. I don't think the dealer is at fault, if you read the specs on the T500, it says these items are not standard. If the dealer said they come standard, that is a different issue. Let me know how she runs and enjoy the snow !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope - no handwarmers. You'll notice the flyer also shows mirrors - but this is an add-on as well. The dealer though told me came with mirrors, so he threw a pair in no charge. I don't think the dealer is at fault, if you read the specs on the T500, it says these items are not standard. If the dealer said they come standard, that is a different issue. Let me know how she runs and enjoy the snow !!!![/b]
Had a nice ride tonight put 30kms on her, I see what your saying about the low end blog I guess its an issue with all T500s. I liked the ride and the handleing and shes very quick off the start. I never have the nerve to try the top speed. I got two friends who bought new machines this winter one rolled his and damaged his bonnet the other hit a tree damageing his bonnet, among a few other things, so im going to take her slow. I will continue to leave feed back as I break in my new CAT.

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife has a 2008 F5 and it has the low end bog/gurgle. I have read many notes from others with the 500 EFI from 2007 and 2008 that are experiencing this. The 800's and 1000's have received reflashes to the ECU. Maybe sometime Arctic Cat will offer a reflash to those of us with the 500's to clear up this bog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope they do offer the reflash. If enough people keep bringing in the 500EFI - hopefully AC will offer this. I will ask my dealer about it this next week. Its going in for another look over this weekend.

I also noticed the reverse shift is rather hard to pull, and occasionally it wont frop in gear and chatters. So I'm going to ask for the linkage to be adjusted as well. Ahhh - the joys of a new model.

Scott - I know what you mean about top speed. The machine is fast !! I had her up to 82 on the lake. Exhilerating

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry to drag up an old thread but thought I'd search for related stuff before I posted (and came out of lurk mode)

I bought a brand new '09 hold-over over the summer and can't wait to ride it!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Anyone have any input on how the sled handles with a passenger on board compared to the T660/Pantara chassis of old?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone have any input on how the sled handles with a passenger on board compared to the T660/Pantara chassis of old?
I'm well over 1k miles and I can say that it handles like my wife isn't even on the back compared to the early 2000's pantera we rode 2up in the past.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts